- News byStream
IISc Bangalore to Soon Set up a Digital Campus
One of the leading institutions in the field of Sciences in India - the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore is all set to initiate practices and reforms in the information technology domain in order to establish a Digital Campus in the next three years.
A sum of at least Rs. 35 crores will be raised through various corporates and alumni for the implementation of this goal-oriented project. The project not only aims at creating next-generation IT infrastructure but also enabling students, faculty and administration staff to use these services for transparency and ease.
An institute/ office namely Digital Campus and IT Services, also known as DIGITS, has been set up for the same. IT specialists such as Ganesh Gopalkrishnan from Infosys and others have been roped in steer various digital initiatives and to help make the campus more digital than it has been.
Ganesh Gopalkrishnan is the former Senior Vice President of Information Systems who was responsible for the building and deployment all enterprise applications across Infosys.
Main objectives of DIGITS at IISc Bangalore:
- Integrated computerisation on campus
- Different sections of administration such as academics, finance etc. currently have their own systems and servers. IISc wants to integrate them all.
- Telecom, Internet & Network Access (TINA)
- Video Security Equipment (VISE)
- Multimedia Classrooms (MMCR)
- System for raising complaints such as maintenance, garbage etc.
- An app called S-CATS, a student complaint redressal system
- Creation of student hubs on campus with complete wifi coverage
The implementation of digitisation initiatives will help reduce paperwork and also cut the distance between the office administration and students, IISc Students Council Chairman Naveen B Ramu revealed.
IISc is the only university in India that has featured among the top 150-250 in global rankings. It is important to create a digital footprint to improve the rankings further.
Professor Abhay Karandikar of IIT-Bombay, started a project on optimizing the cost of internet and providing the ...
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is conducted every year for technical and science graduates who seek ...