The placement season at Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) is in its last leg of the first round. With many companies - both domestic and international - visiting the campuses for recruitment, new trends with respect to placement scenario are being observed. Among these is Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Roorkee) student who has grabbed a salary package worth Rs. 95 lakh per annum. Belonging to the computer science engineering specialisation/ field of engineering, this student has been offered the handsome annual package by the American software company Microsoft.
The first phase of the placement season at IITs will be ending today, ie. 15th December 2016. It is observed that many students, this year, have opted for jobs in the public sector units or the PSUs as compared to those offers made by IT companies of the world. The openings at PSUs are majorly in the automobile, manufacturing and infrastructure units. It is also assumed that the average packages offered this year are slightly better than the previous year's first placement season.
- Until 9th December 2016, a total of 617 offers were made to the engineering students.
- Significant increase in the number of offers from PSUs, adding up to 251 jobs this year.
- Seven international offers have been made, which is less than the global offers made last year.
- The highest domestic package was of Rs. 32 lakh per annum, which is similar to last year.
- Last year, only two students opted for PSU job profiles. However, the number is eighteen this time.
Also read: Core Sector Rules IIT Delhi Placement Season
Officials of the institute were of the opinion that the efforts made by them to sensitize the students have proved to be useful. Sessions focusing on students' contribution in nation building have received much appreciation. The students are given clarity on the fact their knowledge and understanding can help in raising the level of the national economy, which is why they have been opting for PSUs instead of offerings abroad. Additionally, the current scenario of changing policies with respect to foreign nationals in countries like Europe and US has also resulted in the same.