At the coding competition platform HackerRank, for the first time, IIT Patna has been ranked 29th among 126 universities and institutes from all over the world. IIT-Patna ranked higher than Delhi Technological University (DTU) and IIT-Kharagpur.
A third-year computer science undergraduate student, Gagan Kumar ranked 249th in the competition. He is a student of IIT-Panta. Sharing his experiences, Gagan Kumar said that around 5,500 students from 126 universities from all over the world participated in the competition. All the students were given different coding tasks to crack in a definite time period. It was a very challenging task where a student's accuracy and technique to solve a coding are judged.
Thousands of students from different parts of the world regularly solve computer coding problems at HackerRank to enhance their skills.
IT-Patna's ranking was determined on the basis of points scored by its students in the competition throughout the year. Harshit, another student from IIT Patna said that HackerRank is gaining popularity among students from computer engineering and information technology (IT) background. Students are offered cash prizes based on their performance in the competition. Many IT companies have also recruited students from IIT Patna on the basis of their performance in HackerRank 2015.
Top positions occupied at global level are-
- ITMO Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Sun Yat-sen Memorial Middle School in Guangdong, China
- Ho Chi Minh City University of Science, Vietnam
- University of California Berkeley
The 'HackerRank' competition is very popular in European countries, China, Russia and other East-Asian countries. Students from several lesser known engineering colleges have started participating in the competitions.
More Details About Coding-
- Coding is a computer language.
- Through coding apps, computer software and websites are made.
- Apps on phones, Facebook and millions of websites are made through computer language.
- Coding directs the computer what to do.
- It requires a series of programming.
- There is no vocabulary or alphabet use in the coding.