Indian Institute of Technology Patna is one of the new IITs established by an Act of the Indian Parliament on August 06, 2008.
Patna which was known as Patliputra has been a center of knowledge since long has been attracting visitors and scholars from many parts of the world such as China, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka, among others. This has been a land of visionaries. Some of the legends from this region include Lord Gautam Buddha, Lord Mahavir, Guru Gobind Singh, the famous astronomer Aryabhatta and the first President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad.
IIT Patna has ten departments: These are Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Humanities & Social Science departments.
The Institute has developed modern facilities that are fully equipped with the state-of-the-art facilities (equipment software and machines) that are routinely used to train and educate students in the following programs:
- B.Tech in five disciplines: Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Chemical Engineering.
- M.Tech in multi-disciplinary streams with eight specializations:
- Mechatronics jointly offered by Departments of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering,
- Mathematics & Computing jointly offered by Departments of Mathematics and Computer Science & Engineering,
- Nano Science & Technology jointly offered by Departments of Physics and Chemistry,
- Computer Science and Engineering offered by Department of Computer Science & Engineering,
- Communication System Engineering offered by Department of Electrical Engineering,
- Mechanical Engineering offered by Department of Mechanical Engineering,
- Civil and Infrastructure Engineering offered by Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering and
- Materials Science and Engineering offered by Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
- Budding research scholars are admitted in the PhD program of this Institute in all ten (10) departments.
As of April 2016, IIT Patna has six hundred seventy students enrolled in its B Tech programs, one hundred sixty one M.Tech students and two hundred fifty nine Ph.D students. Since inception in 2008 and till April 2016, more than four hundred students have been awarded B.Tech. degree, more than seventy five students have been awarded M.Tech. degree and more than 20 research scholars have been awarded PhD degree.
As of April 2016, faculty strength of IIT Patna is one hundred one (which includes one DST Ramanujan Faculty Fellow, one Adjunct Faculty, one DST INSPIRE Faculty and one Visiting Professor). Faculty members are supported by more that seventy efficient staff (non-teaching) members. These numbers are anticipated to increase as the Institute is growing at a steady pace. The faculty members of IIT Patna have a wide range of academic and research experience. They have been trained in the top ranked Institutes within the country and abroad.
Research activity in IIT Patna has been published in high quality and peer-reviewed national and international journals. Please browse individual faculty member web-page for more information. Faculty members of IIT Patna have been also participating in national and international conferences of repute.
IITP Pictures & Videos
Awards & Rankings
- IIT Patna has been ranked as the 10th best engineering college.