- News byStream
IIT Placements 2016: More Companies but Fewer Offers on Day 1
The placement season has just begun at Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) but the day one statistics were not in favor of the students. Started on Thursday, December 1, this placement season got fewer offers on the first day as compared to the number of offers in 2015. Although the number of participating companies was more than last year, but the number of offers made to students was less.
Check the Highlights below:
- A total of 300 students sat for the first slot of placement at IIT Bombay out of which only 20 were placed by 8 pm in the evening.
- Around 18 companies participated in the first that was conducted between 8am and 5:30 pm saw participation from 18 companies. These companies included PSUs like ONGC.
- Participation from the consultancy sector and offers made were less than last year. Only three consultancies participated at the placements in IIT-B – BCG, Bain and ATK.
- Other companies that participated were Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, Amazon, Bain and P&G. 11 other companies had lined up for the second slot that was conducted between 6pm to 2am.
- P&G selected three students from IIT-B and offered a package of Rs.18 lakh per annum.
- According to students who participated in the first slot at IIT-B, placements were fewer than last year. A student said that close to 60 students were placed in the first slot of placement 2015.
- IIT Kharagpur also expects a slump in the number of offers in 2016. Shovan Panigrahi, Student Placement Coordinator said that around 80-90 students bagged offers by the end of first day and around 25 companies had participated.
- Offers made from the investment banking sector were lower this year at IIT-Kharagpur. Uber also participated at Kharagpur and offered an offshore position but the highest offer was made by Oracle that was $125,000 along with a signing bonus of $10,000 and stock options worth $1,000.
- At IIT Guwahati, number of companies visiting the campus and packages have increased but there has been no considerable change in the number of offers made on day one, said Kaustubha Mohanty, Convenor of All-IIT Placement Committee (AIPC) and Placement in-Charge, IIT Guwahati.
- At IIT Madras, companies like Uber, Oracle and Microsoft participated in the graveyard slot between Wednesday midnight and Thursday 5am. Each company took only one student.
PSUs Participation at IITs:
- IIT Madras saw good participation from PSUs where 6 students were placed at ISRO, 5 at ONGC and 4 at ONGC. Close to 54 students were placed by the end of the first day.
- At IIT Bombay, ONGC was the only PSU to participate on Day 1 and ISRO is lined up for day 2.
- No PSUs participate at IIT Kharagpur on the first day, however, 13 of them have registered for early slots.
- Other PSUs that are expected to participate at IIT campus placements are Coal India, Bhel, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. and Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited.
- At IIT Madras, some PSUs completed their placement process before the official placement season had begun.
- At IIT Roorkee, at least one PSU or central government agency will be visiting the campus every day for the upcoming week. N P Padhy, In-charge of placements, IIT Roorkee said that 6 PSUs have confirmed that they will be visiting.
IIT Dhanbad has announced admissions for its full-time as well as part-time Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programme that ...
Not very long ago the CBSE had announced that class 12 marks will not be evaluated in the selection process through ...