Prakash Javadekar, HRD Minister conducted a press conference at PIB Conference Hall, Shastri Bhavan where he released the NIRF Rankings for the year 2017. Here are some of the highlights of the press conference: -
Also read: - List of Institutes that Topped NIRF Rankings 2017
- IISc tops the list in the rankings for the second consecutive time. The complete list will be released next week.
- Apart from the four parameters that were included last year, there have been two new additions this year that include Common Overall Rank and General Degree Colleges.
- National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) will provide general pointers to students regarding the infrastructure and quality of an institute.
- In addition to general parameters that are coordinated with international standards, country-specific parameters have been included by NIRF for the ranking system.
- Some of the country-specific parameters are the inclusion of disadvantaged sections, gender inclusivity, outreach and regional diversity.
- Some changes have been made in the ranking system based on the feedback that was received last year.
- This year, a total number of 3,300 institutes voluntarily came forward to participate in the ranking system, which also contribute about 70% of the research output.
- With an objective to promote international standards in higher education, the government is considering a Project Vishwajeet.
- This year, the ranking system will also highlight the deficiencies in the education system.
- Top 100 institutes are contributing 80% of research output.
- Most of the institutes in India are functioning with sub-critical faculty numbers and State Education Departments, UGC, AICTE, and MHRD have to overcome these deficiencies.
- Javadekar also emphasized on sensitizing higher educational institutes to promote quality education.
- The major changes in NIRF Rankings 2017 are Discipline-wise ranking and Overall Common Ranking.
- There have been also improvements in the sub-parameters under graduation, research and so forth.
Here are Top 10 Management institutes as per NIRF Rankings 2017: -