6 New MBBS Colleges in Tamil Nadu by 2020, Govt. Grants Rs. 600 Crore

Shreya Sareen
Shreya SareenPublished On: July 15, 2020

6 new medical colleges are likely to come up in Tamil Nadu by 2020. Rs. 600 crore has been granted for setting up these colleges. The total number of MBBS seats will go up to 900 with the establishment of these new MBBS colleges.

New Medical Colleges in Tamil Nadu

Tamil Nadu will get 6 new medical colleges as per the approval granted by the Union Health Minister. The proposal to establish 6 new MBBS colleges in Tamil Nadu with 150 MBBS seats has been approved. The proposal has received the nod by the technical committee of the Medical Council of India (MCI) and at least 900 seats will be added to the seat matrix for 2020 according to C Vijayabaskar, the Health Minister. Now, the Government of Tamil Nadu has granted Rs. 600 crore for setting up these colleges.

Four New Medical Colleges to be Established

The Tamil Nadu Government received the final approval from the Centre to set up four new medical colleges in four different districts of the state. Each of the four new MBBS colleges will add another 150 seats, which will bring the total number of seats to 9,000 seats. With the previous 6 new medical colleges approved by the Centre, the state government will now add 4 more medical colleges as well.

The four new medical colleges have been proposed to be set up in Kancheepuram, Kallakurichi, Cuddalore and Ariyalur, with each medical college to seat a total of 150 students. The proposal is yet to be approved by the executive council as well. The four new colleges will be Government Medical Colleges.

First Medical College in Nilgiris to Begin Soon

Tamil Nadu Municipal Administration Minister S P Velumani first medical college in Nligris to begin soon and the work has already started for the same. It will be the first medical college out of the 6 new MBBS college coming up in Tamil Nadu. The new medical colleges will be established in Nilgris, Namakkal, Dindigul, Ramanathapuram, Tirupur and Virudghunagar.

Also Read: NEET-UG for AIIMS and JIPMER MBBS Admissions 2020

The Centre’s approval came following a proposal submitted to Dr Harsh Vardhan, the Union Health Minister by C Vijayabaskar. Vijayabaskar stated the need for having government medical colleges in the unreserved areas of Tamil Nadu and how the people need to travel for a long duration to pay a visit to the nearby tertiary care centres. Vijayabaskar said that all arrangements have been made such as the identification of land for MBBS colleges. The total expenses for all the facilities will be borne by the state and the centre. The centre will contribute 60% of the total expenditure and the state will share the remaining 40%.

Also Read: English MBBS Seats in China Restricted for Indian Students Amidst Surge of Applications

Once the approval is in place, the number of government medical colleges in Tamil Nadu will go up from 24-30 and the number of MBBS seats will increase from 3,350-4,250. To begin the MBBS admissions from 2020, 600 more doctors, 300 paramedics, administrative staff and staff nurses will have to be hired, and the construction will begin. The process for recruiting the paramedical staff, nurses, administrative staff and purchase of equipment is already underway.

Get Help From Our Expert Counsellors

/news/tamil-nadu-new-mbbs-colleges-establishment-17728/

Be the First to Know

Get Access to Latest Updates

Do you have a question? Ask us.

  • Typical response between 24-48 hours

  • Get personalized response

  • Free of Cost

  • Access to community

Admission Updates for 2020

Admission Updates for 2020

Subscribe to CollegeDekho News

By proceeding ahead you expressly agree to the CollegeDekho terms of use and privacy policy
Apply Now

Medical Related News

Top 10 Medical Colleges in India

View All

Join us and get exclusive education updates & notifications.