The Times Higher Education World University Rankings for the year 2016-17 have been announced. This year, 31 Indian institutes have grabbed a spot in the THE Rankings. Among these, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (IISc), has climbed on to the highest position - featuring in the top 201-250 band of the rankings. Last year, the institute was in the 251-300 band of the THE rankings.
- Times Higher Education (THE) has also increased the number of universities to 980 as against the previous 800.
- A total of 19 Indian institutes have found a place in the top 800 universities this year, 2 more than the previous year.
- Sri Venkateswara University, NIT Rourkela, TIFR and Tezpur University are new entrants in the top 800 list.
Indian Institutes/ Universities Rankings Snapshot:
|Ranking Bracket||Name of Institute/ University|
|1-400||Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, IIT Bombay|
|401-500||IIT Kanpur, IIT Delhi, IIT Madras|
|501-600||Jadavpur University, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Roorkee|
|601-800||AMU, BITS Pilani, University of Delhi, University of Calcutta, NIT Rourkela, IIT Guwahati, Panjab University, Sri Venkateshwara University, Tezpur University, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research|
|801 +||Amity University, SRM University, VIT, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Andhra University, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Amrita University, Manipal University, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Osmania University, Sathyabama University, SASTRA University|
Commenting on India’s position in World University Rankings, Phil Baty, Editor of THE said that it is good to see the participation of the country in global benchmarking exercises and the government taking ample initiatives to develop world class institutes. He also mentioned that Indian student population is predicted to reach 119 million by the end of 2025, the largest ever.
Also take a look at the Top 5 Universities of the World:
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- California Institute of Technology, United States of America
- Stanford University, United States of America
- University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United State of America