Queen Mary’s College is best described as a pioneer in the task of empowering women through education. It was started in 1914 by the British Government as the Madras College For Women. With a modest intake of 33 women students at the time of its inception, it has over the 102 years of its existence, grown phenomenally from an Intermediate to a tertiary level institution and on to a full-fledged premier institution. Today it caters to over 4000 women students.
The scenic and sprawling campus of 17 acres located on the famed Marina and overlooking the magnificent vista of the Bay of Bengal, symbolizes the history of its endeavours to reach horizons of knowledge. This college has launched women into all spheres of life: its alumni have played decisive roles in governmental and non-governmental organizations, both nationally and internationally and have achieved global recognition.
The College has played a dominant role in empowering women from disadvantaged sections of society. Tuned to societal needs, the college has as its mission the following aims and objectives:
To provide educational access to women from different strata of society without discrimination
To function exclusively for the uplift of women in the state and nation, allowing them freedom of expression and gender equity.
To foster the spirit of inquiry and maintain a tradition of academic excellence.
To promote value-based educational programmes aimed at fashioning women of integrity and resourcefulness, making them agents of societal transformation and national development.
Queen Mary’s College has been listed among the top 20 colleges of India and has a reputation for its women-centred programmes in Humanities, Social Sciences, Life Sciences, Nutrition and Home Management, Physical Education and Indian Music. The college is the first government women’s college in the state to offer a doctoral program in Botany besides offering doctoral programmes in Music, Geography and Tamil. It also offers free coaching for IAS/IPS examinations. It was the first government college to go in for accreditation by NAAC and was accredited with ‘4 star status’ in 1999 and reaccredited in 2005. Being granted autonomy in 1987, it has enjoyed two decades of autonomy and has increased its programmes to 23 at the UG level (English and Tamil medium), 18 at the PG level, 12 in M.Phil and 9 in Ph.D.
Queen Mary’s College has been in the forefront of the education of women ever since July 1914, when the Government of Madras instituted the Madras Women’s College. The initial intake of 33 students was housed in a modest building called ‘Capper House’. However, by 1915, the college premises were expanded through the government’s annexure of the area surrounding Capper House. At this stage it offered only Intermediate courses. In 1916 under graduate courses were offered in History and Economics. Eventually Intermediate courses in subjects like Geography, Indian Music, Physics, Chemistry and Home Science were introduced.
Miss De La Hey was the first Principal of the college. The name of the college was changed to Queen Mary’s College in 1917. This college which was started on an experimental basis flourished and gained permanent status in 1918. By this time it had acquired fame and many young women who entered its portals for education, took wing after completing their courses.
An education in Queen Mary’s College was much sought after by parents of young women and families of high social standing coveted education in QMC for their daughters. This train of success carried the college to its momentous Golden Jubilee Celebration in 1964. To witness this occasion, Miss. D. Delahey M.A.,B.T., the first Principal of the College travelled from England: she offered her felicitations and delivered the welcome address. The Golden Jubilee Hall was inaugurated on this occasion. The building which houses the Golden Jubilee Hall also has a number of classrooms.
Another milestone was crossed in 1965, when the late, Mr. M. Bhaktavatsalam inaugurated the PUC course for the evening college.
In 1975 Diamond Jubilee of the college was celebrated. The highlight of this occasion was that the former Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi graced the occasion. In 1987-1988 the college acquired ‘Autonomous’ status. In 1990 the Platinum Jubilee Celebrations were held. The then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Mr. M. Karunanidhi graced the occasion. To commemorate this event a new building was constructed. The special focus of the Platinum Jubilee year was the introduction of the B.Sc. Computer Science.
In 2010 “Kalaignar Maligai”, new building, was opened by former chief Minister M. Karunanidhi In 2012 a new building having 10 class rooms and laboratories was inaugurated by Chief Minister J. Jayalalitha.
QMC Chennai Pictures & Videos
QMC Chennai Vision and Mission
Vision The college enshrines in its vision the ideal of democratization of education by drawing into its ambit women from the deprived sections of society and empowering them with an education that hones life skills and employability. Mission As educating a woman is tantamount to educating a family, the mission of the college is to have programmes that ensure the all round development of ...
Awards & Rankings
Re-accredited by NAAC with 'A' Grade.