The college is a Roman Catholic minority institution, under the management of the Society of Jesus Mary Joseph, registered under the Societies Registration Act of XXI of 1860. The college is recognized as a minority institution by Minority Welfare Department and it has a permanent ‘minority certificate’. While Article 29 of Indian Constitution protects the interests of the minorities in general, Article 30 safeguards their right to establish and administer educational institutions of their choice. Thus, the Supreme Court of India safeguards the Right to admission, Right to Medium of instruction, Right to appoint staff and Right to administer. In this context, the college imparts a sound Christian education and also caters to the interests of students of other creeds. The college also stands for women empowerment, social service, social justice, equality of opportunity, integral development of personality and respect for religious and moral values enshrined in the Constitution of India.St. Joseph’s College of Education for Women had its very humble beginnings on the in 1946, with just 12 students on rolls. It was the first of its kind in Andhra Pradesh, meant solely for the training of women graduates and post-graduates of all creeds and communities in general and Christians in particular.The college offering B. Ed. and M.Ed. programmes is affiliated to the NagarjunaUniversity, Nagarjuna Nagar, Guntur. And DE.d programme affiliated to NCTE. The college was founded under the dynamic leadership of Rev. Sr. Stanislaus SwamikannuPillai, who was the first Principal and Mother Angelina was the first Correspondent of the college. Stanislaus was primarily instrumental in setting the college on sound lines with her administrative acumen, vision and perseverance. Rev. Sr. Anna Maria who followed her was a prudent perfectionist and strove for the expansion of the institution. Rev. Sr. Theresalina’s contribution as a principal has also been very noteworthy.
Awards & Rankings
- 100% Pass Percentage