Balurghat College - BC Dakshin - BC
By miracle of Destiny, the Independence, formation of East Pakisthan and hence partition of Bengal causes of huge Hindu population from the then east business and profession, the Hindus left the then East Pakistan and hailed to India to get Balurghat being a border town, the growth of population rose from five thousand of fifty thousand in the year of independence. As a result along with manifold economic problems, education figured most prominently. In over to solve the educational problem of the people, Balurghat College was started on 8th September 1948, as an intermediate liable arts college, with 96 students in the tin-sheds of the Balurghat high school under the Kolkata University on the initiative of the large hearted educationists of the town who took regular classes in the afternoon. In 1949, the college was shifted to the present site in the vacant muslin hostel of Balurghat high school along with its land that was purchased by the college at a cost of Rupees forty thousand only. The college gained immense popularity and the numbers of students steadily began to increase. In 1950, the college was recognized by the UGC, and it is supported by he West Bengal government as an aided college. In 1950, intermediate Science classes, in 1953, B.A (Pass), in 1956, B. Sc (Pass), in 1964, evening B.Com and in 1972 evening part time B. Ed classes were opened in succession. Latter on B. Com evening due to Govt. decision. North Bengal University accepted the college as a constituent the college in the September 2003. Presently the college is affiliated under the Under the University of Gour Banga from the academic year 2008-2009.