The first attempt to establish a college in Suri, the headquarters of Birbhum district, started in the year 1934. Under the tutelage of the then local landlord and educationist- Shri Amita Ranjan Mukhopadhyay, popular doctor Kaligati Banerjee, advocate Babu Harikinkar Samanta and other social activists, a working committee was formed,The college volunteered for institutional accreditation by NAAC, Bangalore, in November 2005.On 9th March, 1942, under the chairmanship of former Calcutta Vidyasagar College student – Shri. Abinash Chandra Mitra, the college started its journey as a branch of “Vidyasagar College”, Calcutta. Classes started in the house adjoining Shri. Amitaranjan’s Kali Temple (Kali Bari), while the new building was being constructed south of the adjoining Banyan Tree of the selected place for the new college. Classes shifted to the new building in June 1942. The college volunteered for institutional accreditation by NAAC, Bangalore, in November 2005. After analysis the executive committee of the NAAC has given grade B+ on Feb., 2006 for five years up to Feb., 2012. We have already submitted LOI to NAAC for 2nd Circle Accreditation. Now, in 2014 the college stands tall, spreading the message of knowledge and wisdom to the society. Today, the college consists of 19 Academic Departments out of which 17 offer Honours & general courses, 4 general Courses and 1 P.G. Course.
Awards & Rankings
The institute has conceived a scheme of recognition of merit and achievement among students. Awards to the toppers of each branch and scholarships to the deserving are also given by the Institute.