Siliguri College - SC Darjeeling - SC
Siliguri College was established on October 8, 1950 and over the years has witnessed enviable growth. At present it is, in many ways, the college of first choice under the University of North Bengal. After partition and independence, Siliguri gained importance both strategically and in trade and commerce. There was an exodus of migrants from the then East Pakistan and Siliguri College was established under the refugee rehabilitation scheme to provide opportunity of higher education to the youth population of the region.
The college was affiliated to University of Calcutta till 1962 when the University of North Bengal came into being. The college has highly qualified teaching faculty, many of whom have received national and international recognition for their teaching, research and publications. With the present importance given to physical education, we will be shortly upgrading the infrastructure already present in the physical education department with funds allocated by the UGC.
The college is proud to have got the opportunity to organize eight national level seminars in various departments in the last few academic sessions under the aegis of the UGC. The college has a will-equipped library containing text and reference books. Besides there are sizeable collections of gazetteers, encyclopedia and many rare and out of print books and manuscripts in the library.