How to Prepare
Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design UCEED- B.Des. 2017 Question Paper Format
Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design UCEED- B.Des. 2017 News and Updates
UCEED 2018 Application Form: The UCEED 2018 application forms released on October 9, 2017. The last to submit the application form for UCEED 2018 without late fee is November 10, 2017. However, the deadline to submit the UCEED Application Form 2018 with late fee is November 17, 2017. Candidates ...Read more
Gurgaon’s Tanmay Pathak has outperformed all candidates in the UCEED exam 2017. Tanmay topped the exam with 224 marks. With a score of 191, Samadrita Sarkar of Visakhapatnam has secured the second place in the examination whereas Rishikesh’s Harshit Satija secured the third spot with a ...Read more
The results of UCEED 2017 examination will be released on February 24, 2017. Earlier, the examination authorities mentioned that the results would be declared on February 20, 2017, at 5:00 PM. However, the announcement of results has been postponed. The UCEED 2017 examination took place on January ...Read more
UCEED and CEED exam 2017 were held on January 22, 2017, from 10 am to 1 pm. Both the exams were conducted by IIT Bombay and the result will be announced on March 10, 2017. The UCEED exam comprised of three sections having Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs), Multiple Select Questions (MSQs) and ...Read more
Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design UCEED- B.Des. 2017
UCEED will be conducted by Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, under the guidance of the UCEED Admissions Committee. UCEED is open to all nationals (Indian/Foreign). Candidates seeking admission to the Bachelor Degree programme in Design (B. Des.) at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB),Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG) and Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing Jabalpur (IIITDMJ) must appear in UCEED. The 3 institutes will have a common application form for admissions to their respective B. Des programmes. The UCEED Office, IIT Bombay will process the common application form and carry out the joint seat allocation process.
Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design UCEED- B.Des. 2017 Conducting Body
UCEED is conducted by Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay). Established in 1958, the second of its kind, IIT Bombay was the first to be set up with foreign assistance. The funds from UNESCO came as Roubles from the then Soviet Union. In 1961, Parliament decreed the IITs as ‘Institutes of National Importance'. Since then, IIT-B has grown from strength to strength to emerge as one of the top technical universities in the world.
Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design UCEED- B.Des. Contact Details
|Address||Chairman UCEED JEE Office Indian Institute of Technology Bombay Powai, Mumbai 400076.|
Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design UCEED- B.Des. FAQ
1) Who can apply for B. Des. admissions?
UCEED qualified candidates who have completed their XII Board Examination (or equivalent) can apply for B. Des.
2) Is there a separate application? Or is it part of the UCEED application?
It is a separate application. The online application form will be provided on the UCEED website after the UCEED results are announced. For more details refer to Admissions.
3) Should I have to qualify for JEE (Main) or JEE (Adv) to be eligible for admission to the B. Des. programme?
No. UCEED is the only qualifying exam for admission to the B. Des. programme at IIT Bombay.
4) Am I allowed to change branch after getting admitted to B.Des?
No,you are not allowed.
5) I belong to a reserved category. Am I eligible for the Open Seats?
Yes, provided you have an Open Rank. Open Category seats are Open to everyone, that is, both non-reserved and reserved categories of candidates.
6) I have got Open Rank 'xyz' or OBC-NCL Rank 'abc'. Will I get IIT Bombay?
We will strictly NOT entertain such questions, so please don't send them. We will neither advice you on your chances nor speculate on what might or might not happen with this year's admissions before it happens.
7) My birth date is only a few days/weeks/months/years short of the age eligibility criteria. Can you make an exemption for me?
No.you are not allowed.
8) Why is UCEED not held in my city? Can you have a center in my city?
Conducting a national level exam is a massive exercise. The UCEED 2017 Committee carefully considered all logistical and operational factors, including information based on UCEED 2015 & 2016 applicants, before deciding on the 19 cities where UCEED 2017 will be held. In addition to the 14 cities where UCEED 2016 was held, 5 new cities have been added for UCEED 2017.
9) I made a mistake while filling up the application form. What should I do?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details related to your application (registration number, candidate name, and mobile phone number) and describing clearly the nature of the mistake. Where possible we will rectify the mistake, or advise you on what to do next. However do note that it will entirely be the responsibility of the candidate to provide the correct information regarding the category, the qualifying examination (XII Class or equivalent), and the date of birth in the application form.
10) I filled up the application form, but I was unable to complete the fee payment successfully. What should I do?
There could be several reasons for this, including, but not limited to slow internet speed leading to time-outs, bad connection to the payment gateway, conflicting browser settings or browser compatibility. When a payment error occurs, and you are unable to go back to retry payment, make sure you are using the recommended browsers and versions, clear your browser cookies and cache or try using a different browser altogether.
If the problem persists, you can either call us at the contact numbers given in website, or send an email to email@example.com with details related to your application (registration number, candidate name and mobile phone number) and describing clearly the nature of the problem. All the problems related to the payment for each and every candidate will be sorted out before the last date of application submission.
11) Besides the photo & signature, what other documents should I upload at the time of applying for UCEED?
For complete details of documents required for UCEED application :-
- A recent colour photograph of full frontal (face) view, with the head centred in the frame covering 70-80% of the photograph and taken within the last six months. The photograph should be such that it allows unambiguous identification of the candidate (only JPEG image formats with file extension .jpg will be accepted).
- Scanned copy of candidate’s full signature on white paper (only JPEG image formats with file extension .jpg will be accepted).
- Qualifying examination certificate (XII marksheet), if appeared in 2016 (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted).
- Proof of Date of Birth. This could be copy of birth certificate, or copy of passport, or copy of Aadhaar Card or copy of X class marksheet/school leaving certificate showing DOB (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted).
- For candidates appearing in 2017, a certificate from the school/college principal in the given format (Annexure 1) should be uploaded (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted). The address, email and phone number to be filled in the form are that of the school/college. After you have scanned and uploaded the PDF of Annexure 1, keep the form safe. The same form is to be produced in original, as the photo ID along with the Admit Card at the examination centre on examination day.
12) I am an OBC candidate. Can I apply under the OBC category?
There is NO reservation under the OBC category. ONLY OBC candidates with the NCL (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate can apply under the OBC-NCL category. OBC candidates WITHOUT the NCL certificate must apply under the OPEN category.
13) I cannot get the valid OBC-NCL certificate before the application deadline. Can I upload my OBC certificate instead?
No. Applications under the OBC-NCL category without the valid certificate will be rejected, just as any other application under their respective reserved categories will be rejected without the valid certificate.
14) I do not have a birth certificate for proof of date of birth. What should I do?
If you do not have a birth certificate you can upload copy of passport, or copy of Aadhaar Card or copy of X class marksheet/school leaving certificate showing your DOB.
15) I am a foreign national or a NRI/PIO/OCI card holder. Is there a separate quota for people like me?
No. You will have to qualify in UCEED and fulfill all the eligibility criteria required by Indian citizens.
16) Am I qualified to apply to B. Des. if I qualify in JEE (Main) or JEE (Adv)?
No. UCEED and JEE are two entirely different exams. To apply for admission to the B. Des. programme at IIT Bombay, a candidate is required to qualify in UCEED, as well as satisfy the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQ), which is a PASS in XII Board (or equivalent) examination. However do note that candidates from the Science Stream with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as subjects are eligible to apply to all the three institutes while candidates from any other stream (Science without Maths or Physics or Chemistry, Commerce, and Arts & Humanities) are eligible to apply to only IIT Bombay and IIITDM Jabalpur.
17) Are my XII Board marks considered for the B. Des. admissions?
Board marks are not considered for the B. Des. admissions.
18) Which academic stream in my XII standard (or equivalent) should I have studied in to be eligible for the UCEED examination?
Students from any academic stream (e.g. science, arts & humanities, commerce etc.) in their XII standard (or equivalent), are eligible to apply for UCEED.
19) Are there any books that I can study to prepare for UCEED?
UCEED is a design aptitude test. Aptitude tests assume that individuals have inherent strengths and weaknesses, and are naturally inclined toward success or failure in certain areas based on their inherent characteristics. Except for the syllabi section 'Environmental and social awareness' which will test your general awareness in the topics outlined under it, the remaining five sections will test your aptitude. Consequently there are no text or reference books that we can recommend.
20) I passed my XII standard in 2015 (or earlier). Can you make an exemption for me?
No. You are not allowed.
21) I am studying XII Class under the National Open School or as a Private Candidate under State Board. Where should I get the Annexure 1 certified?
Candidates who will be appearing for their Class XII (or equivalent) in 2017 under the the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) should get the Annexure 1 certified from the Regional NIOS Board Office or the Regional State Education Board Office.
22) I appeared for UCEED 2016 but did not qualify. Can I appear for UCEED 2017?
Yes you can, provided you meet the age and year of passing qualification certificate criteria as mentioned here. However do note that a candidate can attempt UCEED for a maximum of two times only and that too in consecutive years, and that the UCEED score is valid only for admissions in the corresponding academic year.
23) Will there be negative marking?
Only Section C of the question paper has negative marking.
24) How is that students from all academic streams are eligible to apply for UCEED?
Design is an interdisciplinary activity. Holistic design considers the sciences, arts, technology, economics, media, policy, society and culture. Successful designers have backgrounds in the arts, sciences and the humanities. However do note that candidates from the Science Stream with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as subjects are eligible to apply to B.Des atall the three institutes while candidates from any other stream (Science without Maths or Physics or Chemistry, Commerce, and Arts & Humanities) are eligible to apply to only IIT Bombay and IIITDM Jabalpur.
25) Many design aptitude exams that I know of, test drawing skills. How will drawing skills be tested in an objective type examination like UCEED?
While drawing skills can demonstrate a person's visualization skills, there are equally effective or better ways to test such skills through objective measures. Besides, we recognise that many students may not have had drawing skills training in their 10+2 schooling, and therefore UCEED will not put them at a disadvantage.
26) I am from the non-science stream in my XII. Will I be able to cope with the course?
If you are good enough to qualify in UCEED and make it to the B. Des. selection list, coping with B. Des. will not be a problem for you.
27) How do I understand the rank(s) on my Score Card?
- Depending on the category, a UCEED qualified candidate can have between 1 and 4 types of ranks mentioned on his/her Score Card. A candidate from the Open Category (non-reserved category) will see his/her Open Rank.
- A candidates who belongs to one of the reserved categories, and who has also qualified in the Open Category (i.e., by securing a minimum total of 100 and a minimum 10% in each section) will get an Open Rank and a Category Rank in his/her respective category.
- PwD candidates who qualify in the Open Category will get an Open-PwD Rank in addition to the Open Rank. A PwD candidate who belongs to one of the reserved categories, and who has also qualified in Open Category will get an Open Rank, Open-PwD Rank, Reserved Category Rank, and Reserved-PwD Rank.
- Candidates belonging to the reserved categories who have been declared as qualified on the basis of the relaxed criterion will not get the Open Rank, but only the Category Rank. Additionally, if they are PwD candidates, they will get a Reserved-PwD Rank.
28) Is the B. Des. degree recognised by the government?
Yes.B. Des. degree recognised by the government.
29) Can I appear for UPSC and other such competitive exams after B. Des.?
Yes, you will be eligible to appear for such exams.
30) How similar or different is the B. Des. programme at IIT Bombay compared to the B. Des. at IIT Guwahati or IIITDM Jabalpur?
In terms of curriculum, there may be substantial similarities just as there are significant differences. For details related to course content refer to respective department websites.
31) What kind of careers can I look forward to after B. Des.?
Design jobs are becoming ubiquitous in nearly every area of business and governance. Organisations involved with technology, management, manufacturing, retail, IT services, government, planning & policy, entertainment, communication, user centered research and lifestyle have seen the biggest growth in terms of employing designers. For a more elaborate list, please search the Internet, there are a lot of resources on design careers.
32) What is design education like at IITB?
Visit the IDC website. There you will find faculty and student projects, the research work happening in IDC, facilities, events, and much more. They will give you a good idea of what generally happens in a design school and how the education is carried out.
33) What is the B. Des. course fee structure?
The detailed fee structure for the B. Des courses at IITB, IITG and IIITDMJ
- Fee Structure for B. Des at IIT Bombay:-Rs. 114750 Per Semester Fee
- Fee Structure for B. Des at IIT Guwahati :-Rs. 1,11,450 Per Semester Fee.
34) Will there be any portfolio presentation/review and/or personal interview following the UCEED, for admission to B.Des.?
Your performance in UCEED will be the only selection criteria for B.Des. admissions at IITB, IITG and IIITDMJ. There will be no portfolio presentations/reviews or personal interviews.
35) I am interested in Fashion Design/Sports Car Design/Interior Design etc. Do you offer this course?
UCEED is a common entrance examination for three B.Des courses. The UCEED Office is the examination conducting body. We do not advise on courses. All three institutes have detailed information on their courses on their websites. Read them carefully. If you still have any queries, contact the respective departments.
36) How will the seats be allotted?
Seats will be allotted in order of rank in each category. For a detailed matix of seats in each category, refer to Available Seats.
37) What is the Overall Standing?
Overall Standing refers to your standing among all qualified students. In other words it is your rank among the 1344 students who qualified in UCEED . It gives you an idea of where you stand and is not used in admissions. Only Category Ranks are used for seat allotment.
38) What are the validity requirements for the OBC-NCL certificate?
The OBC-NCL certificate must be issued on or after April 1, 2016 and conforming to the latest guidelines of the Government of India. However UCEED qualified candidates when they apply for for B.Des admissions in June 2017, must submit an updated OBC-NCL certificate that is issued on or after April 1, 2017 and conforming to the latest guidelines of the Government of India. Visit www.ncbc.nic.in for the latest guidelines and updates of the Central List of State-wise OBCs.