Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
The course of Bachelor of Design (B.Des) offered by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati attracts a number of students every year. The Department of Design (DoD) at IIT Guwahati comprises a pure diversity of roles that offer a spectrum of possibilities in the field of design. At IIT Guwahati, the B.Des course incorporates all the finer disciplines of design which help students explore all the other domains, find an opportunity to innovate and a much wider career scope in the future.
IIT Guwahati aims to prepare students with the methodical approaches to handle problems like human engineering, consumer behaviours, cognitive psychology, aesthetics, etc. It is, in fact, one of the thirteen departments at IIT Guwahati. Apart from the UG programme, the institute also offers M.Des (Master of Design) and PhD in the field of design. This article shall run you through all the admission related details including B.Des at IIT Guwahati Eligibility Criteria, Fees, Course Curriculum, and so forth.
IIT Guwahati B.Des Eligibility Criteria 2021
Candidates seeking admission to the B.Des course of IIT Guwahati must satisfy the below-mentioned criteria:
- As the admission to the course is based on the candidate's UCEED score, the eligibility criteria laid down by the conducting body of UCEED shall be followed:
- Age Limit- Must have been born on or after October 1, 1996, if the candidates belong to the OPEN/OBC-NCL/EWS category and, on or after October 1, 1991, if belonging to the ST/SC/PWD categories.
- The candidate must have obtained a valid score of UCEED held in the year of admission.
- The applicant must have qualified 10+2 or equivalent in the current year.
- Candidates may have qualified 12th in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as subjects.
- Candidates passing the qualifying examination in the same year or awaiting results can also apply.
IIT Guwahati B.Des Selection Process 2021
Candidates are selected only on the basis of their performance in UCEED. UCEED is conducted by Indian Institute of Bombay (IIT) for candidates seeking admission to the Bachelor Degree course in Design (B.Des). UCEED 2021 is held at different centres across India. According to the procedure laid down by IIT Bombay, candidates shall be admitted through the below-mentioned process:
- The seats are allocated on a provisional basis to the candidates based on their choices, the number of seats available according to the seat matrix and UCEED ranks of the year.
- The certificates provided by the candidates shall be verified by the authority. If found in order, the candidate gets a seat allotment letter. after which the candidate may either choose to freeze or float.
- In case the candidate wants to freeze the seat, an amount of Rs. 60,000 shall be paid through the common payment portal. Seat Acceptance Fee for candidates belonging to SC/ST/PwD categories shall be Rs. 15,000.
The following rules shall be followed for the joint seat allotment:
- If the selected candidates do not pay the seat acceptance fee before the last date, their admission shall be cancelled.
- The same shall be filled in the next rounds of seat allotment.
- If a candidate is given his/her first choice of the institute, the candidate shall be given the change to either accept or decline the offer.
- If a candidate is given his/her second or third choice of the institute, the candidate can either accept or accept with the option to be considered for the first choice of the institute (Float).
- If the candidate selects "Freeze" in any of the rounds, he/she cannot participate in further rounds of seat allotment.
- If the candidate chooses to 'float', he/she shall be considered for the subsequent seat allotment rounds and if the candidate is offered with his/her higher preference of institute, then they will either take it or continue with the previously accepted institute.
- After choosing the 'float' option, if the candidate gets the seat of his/her higher preference, then the currently accepted seat shall be considered forfeited.
- The seat acceptance fee shall be adjusted against the institute fees of the admitting institute at the time of admission.
- If a candidate wants to withdraw during the end of the first round or before the end of the second round after payment of the seat acceptance fee, the candidate shall get a refund after deducting cancellation and processing charges of Rs. 3,000. No refund shall be allowed after the end of last round.
- Candidates will not be able to withdraw an accepted or allotted seat after the result of the last round of seat allocation is announced.
IIT Guwahati B.Des Course Fee 2021
The total course fee for the four-year B.Des course offered by IIT Guwahati has been given below:
For SC/ST/PwD students
Other Economically Backward Students who Parents' Annual Income is below 1 Lakh and 5 Lakhs in the last Financial Year
Most Economically Backward Students who Parents' Annual Income is below 1 Lakh in the last Financial Year
All other students
Note: The course fee is subject to change every year.
Also Read: B.Des Vs B.F.Tech - Which is Better?
IIT Guwahati B.Des Placements
Apart from the curriculum, the placements at the Department of Design (DoD) of IIT Guwahati boast an excellent record. Before the placement process begins for the year, IIT Guwahati makes its students get acquainted with the various aspects of campus placements including interview, tests, guidance, etc. Every year, top design companies from around the world visit the IIT Guwahati premises for its campus placements and recruit students with high packages.
B.Des graduates get successfully placed in the following domains:
- New media and Game Design
- Usability Engineering
- Product Development and Design (consumer products, electrical appliances etc.)
- Transportation Design (automotive design, personal transportation)
- Human-Computer Interfaces and Interaction Design
- Design and Management Consultancies
- Exhibition and Experience Design
- E-learning & Web Technologies
- Tangible User Interfaces
- System Design and Information Architecture
- Print, Graphic Design, Television and Multimedia Technologies
- Control Panels and Instrumentation Systems Design
- Virtual Reality and Simulation
- Physical Computing
Internships at IIT Guwahati:
Internships are a very important part of the B.Des curriculum at IIT Guwahati. Few of the organisations where IIT Guwahati B.Des students have done internships have been listed below:
- Xerox PARC
- Godrej, etc.
Few of the corporates who have actively participated in the campus placements of IIT Guwahati are mentioned below:
- Fair Isaac
- Crompton Greaves
- Fluent India
- Virtusa India
- Mahindra & Mahindra
IIT Guwahati B.Des Course Curriculum 2021
The course curriculum for the course of B.Des at IIT Guwahati has been given in detail below:
Introduction to Design
Elements of Design
Sports and Games/Performing Arts II
Sports and Games/Performing Arts I
Basic Electronics Laboratory
Introduction to Computing
Principles of Visual Design
Form, Order and Structure
Visualization and Illustration
Introduction to Design
Photography and Videography
Design Drawing and Illustration Techniques
Introduction to Design
Elements of From
Elements of From I
Modelling and Simulation Techniques
Introduction to Ergonomics
Introduction to Graphic Design
Fundamentals of Ergonomics
Materials and Processes
Graphic Representation Techniques
Elements of Drawing
Plastics and Composites
Graphic Design Studio
Introduction to Interaction Design
Indian Symbology And Communication
Elements of Form II
Design Project I
Product Design Modeling and Simulation
System Approach to Design
Product Planning and Strategy
Fine Mechanics and Movements
Instructional Design and Multimedia
Elements of Videography
Digital Media in Design
Design Project II A
Art Design and Society
Design Project III
Design Management and Professional Practice
Media Study and Analysis
Interactive Communication Project
New Media Studies
Interdisciplinary Design Project
Advanced Manufacturing and Processes
Design Exhibition Project
Project – Phase I
Project Phase II
Top B.Des Colleges in India
Check out the list of the top B.Des colleges in India. In order to apply for a hassle-free admission to any desired college, you can either click on the links provided below or dial the helpline number 1800-572-9877 (toll-free).
|College Name||College Location|
|Indus University (IU)||Ahmedabad, Gujarat|
|Swarrnim Startup And Innovation University (SSIU)||Gandhinagar, Gujarat|
|Uttaranchal University||Dehradun, Uttarakhand|
|Amity University||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|Mansarovar Global University (MGU)||Sehore, Madhya Pradesh|
|Vadodara Institute of Engineering (VIER)||Vadodara, Gujarat|
|Suresh Gyan Vihar University - SGVU||Jaipur, Rajasthan|
|Apeejay Institute of Design (AID)||New Delhi, Delhi|
|Garware Institute of Career Education and Development (GICED), University of Mumbai||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Jagran Lakecity University (JLU)||Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh|
You can also fill-up multiple application forms by entering suitable details on the Common Application Form of CollegeDekho. Find more about the B.Des course on CollegeDekho. Hope this article helps you with the admission process for the B.Des course at IIT Guwahati.
Stay tuned to CollegeDekho to know more about the world of design. In case of further queries, write to us in the QnA zone!