Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah Cancer Institute - BBCI Guwahati - BBCI
Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah Cancer Institute (BBCI) was set up by a voluntary organization called 'Dr. B. Borooah Cancer Society Trust'. Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah (4th September 1893 - 25th September 1956) was a great physician, freedom fighter and philanthropist of Assam. In 1958 at a public meeting in Guwahati, a decision was taken to set up a cancer hospital at Guwahati to commemorate the memory of Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah. Late Dr. Kanak Chandra Borooah, illustrious brother of Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah was the Founder Secretary. Late Bimala Prasad Chaliha, Debendra Nath Sarma, Mahendra Mohan Choudhury, Bishnuram Medhi, Dr. Ghanashyam Das, Dr Birendra Nath Choudhury and many others worked relentlessly from its inception. The Institute was formally inaugurated on 18th November 1973 and became operational from 1974. The Institute was recognized as Regional Cancer Centre by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India in the year 1980. On 6th of August, 1986 the Institute was handed over to the Government of Assam by the B Borooah Cancer Society Trust retaining its autonomy. The First Tripartite Agreement for revitalization of the Institute involving the North Eastern Council, Government of Assam and the Department of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India became operational from November 1989. The Second Tripartite Agreement became effective from 1st April 1998 till 31st March 2004. The Third Tripartite Agreement involving the same parties effective from 1st of April 2004 for 5 years. The agreement was extended till 31 st March 2012 with North Eastern Council as nodal agency. The Board of Directors in its meeting held at New Delhi on 24 th February 2011 decided to enter into 4 th Tripartite Agreement w.e.f. 1 st April 2012 to 31 st March 2017.