- Affiliated to the prestigious University of Mumbai, since its inception in 1960
- H.R. College of Commerce & Economics has an enrollment of more than 6000 students in its degree as well as in its junior college, with an equal number of boys and girls.
- Emphasis on faculty development, academia-industry linkages, internationalization and on student empowerment.
- The College has achieved excellent academic standards, while simultaneously creating opportunities for the all around development of students through sports and cultural activities. By transferring the responsibility of learning on to the learner, the College empowers students and fosters young leaders.
- H.R. College was the first college in Maharashtra to be accredited ‘A’ grade with a score of 87.95% by the NAAC (National Assessment & Accreditation Council) under the revised scheme for 2002. In 2008, HR College was awarded an ‘A’ Grade by NAAC once again with a CGPA of 3.46; NAAC has awarded H.R. College with a CGPA of 3.72 on a scale of 4, the highest CGPA in India under the revised scheme and the highest score in Maharashtra till date.
- Preparing students for life and work in an information-rich, technology-driven world
- Connecting and building partnerships with the corporate sector and non-profit making communities to pursue its educational mission
- Ensuring the future success of both the college and its stakeholders.
- The College also has the unique distinction of having received autonomy in 2007 from the University Grants Commission (UGC), making it the first college in the 150-year history of the University Mumbai to have achieved this feat. The College will implement autonomy in due course.
- The college strives for excellence in teaching and learning at undergraduate / postgraduate levels.
- The college is the first among four colleges in the University of Mumbai to be sanctioned BVoc by UGC.
- It was the historic day of June 20, 1960 that saw the doors of Bombay’s newest College of Commerce & Economics open wide at dawn.
- The city, back then, wasn’t so populated, and the Principal wondered if he would have enough students to fill his classes.
- History shows that classes filled up soon enough!Located on 123 Dinshaw Wachha Road, at the intersection of the road that faces the University of Mumbai, with its imposing clock tower, the College was founded on idealism.
- Seth Hassaram Rijhumal Principal H.C. Malkani Principal K.M. Kundnani, Jyotu Kundnani with Principal H.C. Malkani While the seed of what is today known as the Hassaram Rijhumal College of Commerce & Economics was planted in Hyderabad Sind (formerly undivided India), in 1945, and it was, perhaps, the first commerce college there, although another commerce college was also started in the same year in Karachi, the fledgling Institution had to be hastily forsaken in the storm of Partition.
- Uprooted and felled as their spirit was, the foresighted and feisty founding fathers of the College were not about to give up easily, and certainly not in their mission to create an educational institution of lasting value once they migrated to Mumbai (then Bombay) and attempted to restart their lives again.
- The trials were tremendous, but so was the tenacity of the many mighty men who were determined to germinate this institutional oak again.
- One such visionary was Principal Kundnani who, along with Barrister Hotchand Advani, reconstituted the Hyderabad Sind National Collegiate (HSNC) Board in Mumbai, and set about restarting the two colleges the Board already ran in Sind, pre-Partition.
- One was the D.G. National College, which was the very first college founded by the HSNC Board in Sind in 1921,and of which Principal Kundnani was Principal at the time of Partition.
- The second was the College of Commerce & Economics, started with the financial support of the merchant Bhaiband community of Hyderabad.
- An interesting, and not entirely coincidental, fact is that when it first started in 1945, H.C. Malkani was appointed as its Principal - and when the College restarted in Mumbai in 1960, the mantle yet again fell upon the industrious H.C. Malkani, to take on the ‘principal’ role in mentoring and remaking the destiny of an institution that was so closely linked to his own! It was almost as though the two, the College and Principal H.C. Malkani, were a match made with divine exactitude that not even the ruinous Partition could rent asunder.
- In the intervening years, between his two stints as Principal of the College, a lot had transpired.
- Most significantly, the map of the Sub Continent was irrevocably altered, and with it the lives of thousands of dispossessed Sindhis - all of who had to run helter-skelter overnight.
HRCCE Pictures & Videos
HRCCE Vision and Mission
“India’s future will be shaped in her classrooms.” - Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Mission H.R. College is committed to: Excellence in Education: Providing excellence in commerce and business education at the under-graduate and post-graduate levels. Holistic Education: Pursuit of knowledge through holistic education in academic and extra-curricular ...
Awards & Rankings
H.R. College was awarded the‘Best College’by the University of Mumbai for 2010-2011.The institution was recognized for its leadership potential, its teaching excellence, its innovative learner-centric approach and its strong international linkages. H.R. Collegewas the first college in Maharashtra to be accredited ‘A’ grade with a score of 87.95% by the NAAC (National ...
Contact Details of HRCCE
the most popular courses across India, at one place
Create a free Profile now.
the most popular exams across India, at one place