Achhruram Memorial College - AMC Purulia - AMC
It was a heart-felt desire of the people of Jhalda locality to have an academic institution for higher studies, a college for the local students to study degree course at under-graduate level. The initiative of common people including some eminent citizens gathered momentum during mid-1970s. With the banning of Ananda Marga College by Government of India in 1975, the necessity was felt even more strongly. After several meetings held in this direction in Jhalda and elsewhere, it was decided that a college namely “JHALDA COLLEGE” will be established “as a successor of Ananda Marga College” (as in the letter granting affiliation from the Registrar, Burdwan University). Later it was renamed as “ACHHRURAM MEMORIAL COLLEGE” in the memory of Late Lala Achhruram Behl (1894-1964), an eminent industrialist and father of Late Sohanlal Behl, an eminent industrialist himself and the donor of the college.The college was formally started on 1st September 1975 in a building at the heart of Jhalda town. The college was then planned to be housed in a new college building and the foundation stone of this proposed building was laid on a gracious function on 9th February, 1979. The foundation stone was laid by Late Manoharlal Behl and function was presided over by Dr. Ramaranjan Mukherjee, the then Vice-Chancellor of the University of Burdwan. On 28th April 1981 the new college building was inaugurated by His Excellency, the Governor of West Bengal and the Chancellor of the University of Burdwan, Sri Trivuban Narayan Singh. Dr. Ramaranjan Mukherjee, the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Burdwan presided over this inaugural function.