Get details on Fee, Cut off marks, admission process for session 2020.
The vast red-bricked building of St Stephen’s College deserves appreciation. In close vicinity to other premier North Campus Colleges of the University of Delhi, the college stands tall with its amazing architecture designed by the celebrated architect of British India Walter Sykes George. St Stephen’s College has its own chapel which is always open to everyone in the college for meditation and worship.
The library of St Stephen’s College is exceptionally well-equipped catering to the needs of both junior and senior members of the college. The library has over a hundred thousand books, journals, magazines, and daily newspapers. The library also has separate archival sections with records pertaining to the history of the college. It is fully air-conditioned and automated with digital sections granting access to various e-resources. The library also has designated audio sections, screen reading software and book in Braille to cater to visually challenged students of the college.
When it comes to sports infrastructure, the college has an office of the physical education department, a cardio studio, an indoor badminton hall with wooden flooring, a basketball court, cricket ground, tennis arena, shooting range, football field, weight training gym, squash courts, table tennis area and a swimming pool.
The college provides residential facilities to its students. The residence is divided into six blocks. The blocks are named after former principals of the college. They are called Allnut North Block, Allnut South Block, Rudra North Block, Rudra South Block, Mukherji East, and Mukherji West. The hostel of the college has an accommodation capacity of 200 gentlemen and 186 ladies. The rooms of the hostel are airy, well-lit and spacious with washroom present on each floor along with the provision for hot water in winters. The hostel mess is huge with a seating capacity of up to 400 junior and senior members of the college.
The cafeteria of the college offers quality food as well as beverages at a very reasonable price for the students. The college provides medical facility to its students 24/7 and a nurse is present in the college dispensaries on all weekdays. For banking convenience, the college has a full-fledged branch of the State Bank of India.
Residential facilities on the College campus for out-station Junior Members of College have been an integral part of College life ever since its foundation in 1881. Collectively, these facilities are known as “Residence” and the Junior Members living there in are known as Gentlemen- or Ladies-in-Residence. In recent years the total number of Junior Members in residence has been around three hundred and eighty.
Residence plays an important role in maintaining the plurality and multi-cultural ambience of the College. We make an effort to have a diversity of languages, faiths, regions, and nationalities represented in Residence.
Residential Facilities are divided between six located in different parts of campus. These Blocks are named after former Principals of College. They are: Allnutt North and Allnutt South Blocks (named after Revd. Samuel Scott Allnutt, Founder Principal, 1881-99), Rudra North and Rudra South (named after Mr. Sushil Kumar Rudra, Fourth Principal, 1906-1923),Mukarji EastMukarji West (named after Mr. Satya Nand Mukarji, sixth Principal, 1926-1945). The Allnutt South Block became the first ladies block in July 1997. Subsequently, the Rudra South and Rudra North Blocks also have been converted to ladies’ blocks. Presently there are three men’s blocks and three ladies’ blocks.
The Residential Blocks are a part of a composite architectural design for the whole College in which the building flows into one another, with generous space in between, and a number of courts and lawns. The distinguished architect Walter Sykes George (1881-1962), who had worked under Sir Edward Lutyens and Sir Herbert Baker in the design of the capital complex of New Delhi, designed the layout and building for the new campus when the College moved from the Kashmere Gate site to its present location. (Incidentally, Walter George along with his wife also rendered for many years invaluable service to the Shakespeare Society, the Dramatics Clubs in St. Stephen’s College in the design and construction of scenery for the annual productions of the Society)
Interested in this college?
CollegeDekho's expert counsellors can help you with all your doubts