Law, according to them, is not an activity of the State, but part of their life. There is no activity of human life with which law is not concerned. Law is the foundation of the universe and everything is centered in law. This belief is expressed in their motto “DHARMA SARV PRATISHTHAM” (Everything is centered in law).Guided by this philosophy, ILS has nurtured its own educational culture.
Situated at the foot of the Law College Hill, ILS flourishes with a lush green campus of 195 acres with a lovely hill, birds, and trees creating a treasured pollution free ambiance.
Brief History of Indian Law Society :
The early days of the Indian Law Society’s Law College date back as far as the year 1902 when Mr. J.R. Gharpure and Mr. P.B. Singhe decided to make a new beginning in the direction of a regularized system of imparting legal education.
‘The New Law Class, Bombay’ was therefore started in 1903. After running this class for five years, it was thought desirable to start a regular law college, which would be affiliated with a University. Accordingly, the Fergusson College Law Class was started in 1908 and was conducted by Mr. Gharpure. More than 125 students were registered on a roll. However, within a few weeks, this institution was disaffiliated from the University of Bombay.
After a period of more than fifteen years, the above experiment was still under trial. The scope for improvement was recognised and on 4th March 1923, a new society called the ‘Indian Law Society’ was inaugurated, whose first President was Dr. Sir Narayan Rao C. Chandawarkar. It was proposed at this meeting that a private law college is set up in Pune. After preliminary preparations, the Law college formally commenced operation on the 20th of June 1924, under the banner of the Indian Law Society. It was then known as the ‘Poona Law College’. The Society acquired 195 acres of land and then began the process of developing the architecture of this prestigious institution.
- Graded A+ by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore, in 2004.
- Ranked 1st amongst the Top Ten Law Colleges in the country by the India Today, ORG-MARG poll survey in 2005, and by the ‘Week’ in 2006.
- Spread over a 195 acres campus in the heart of the city of Pune.
- A faculty comprising of highly qualified & committed people.
- A library rated one amongst the best in India, with over 59073 books and bound volumes of periodicals along with national and international, journals and magazines.
- International Collaboration between the VU University, Amsterdam, Netherlands and ILS, comprising of Ph.D. programs and setting up of Law and Policy Action Lab at ILS Launched in December 2012.
ILSLC Pictures & Videos
ILSLC Vision and Mission
Mission : We will make the whole world “Aaryam”. The word “Aaryam” refers to moral, cultural and spiritual excellence leading to eternal happiness. It shall be the ideal of this Society, for the accomplishment of which, its efforts will always be directed towards an all round elevation of the entire population of this vast country. It should be raised to a level of ...
Awards & Rankings