Indian Institute of Technology - IIT - IIT Varanasi
The Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University) is situated in the magnificent campus of Banaras Hindu University spread over nearly 1300 acres at the southern end of the ancient city of Varanasi on the bank of the holy river Ganga. The IIT (BHU) formerly known as the Institute of Technology was a part of the Banaras Hindu University, which has been an internationally acknowledged renowned seat of learning. The Banaras Hindu University was founded in the year 1916 by the great visionary and patriot, Mahamana Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya Ji. This residential University has teaching and research facilities in over 135 diverse disciplines including Ancient History, Oriental Learning, Performing and Fine Arts, Institute of Medical Sciences, Institute of Management Studies, Institute of Sciences, Institute of Environmental and Sustainable Development Social Sciences, etc. Engineering Education in Banaras Hindu University commenced as early as in 1919 with the establishment of Banaras Engineering College (BENCO). The University has also pioneered engineering education by being the first in the country to start degree courses in Mining, Metallurgy, Ceramic Engineering and Pharmaceutics with the establishment of the College of Mining and Metallurgy and the College of Technology in the years 1923 and 1932 respectively. In 1969 these three colleges were amalgamated to form the Institute of Technology. The Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University (IT-BHU), was converted into Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University), Varanasi by the Government of India, New Delhi on 29th June, 2012.
There is a Training and Placement Cell for the students that are passing out successfully from the IIT Varanasi. This placement cell also collaborates with the prime organizations and institutes for internship and training programs of students.
|Number of visiting companies||65|