- Articles byStream
Few Interesting Facts about Presidency University Kolkata
One of the most Prestigious College in Kolkata University is Presidency College.
Earlier it was known as the Hindu College but later, the name was changed into Presidency College. Lots of notable personalities like Subhash Chandra Bose are the alum of this college. Here are few interesting facts the Presidency College.
• Established by prominent leaders The college was established in 1817 by Raja Ram Mohan Roy, Raja Radhakanta Deb, Maharaja Tejchandra Ray of Burdwan, David Hare, Justice Sir Edward Hyde East,Prasanna Coomar Tagore and Babu Buddinath Mukherjee.
• Oldest College in India Presidency College is the oldest college in India and one of the oldest in South Asia being established in the year 1817. The college has nurtured the minds of many great men and women from various fields ranging from scientists to economists to film makers to actors to Nobel Laureates.
• Notable Alumuni The notable alumuni includes Pritam Chakraborty, Ashok Kumar, Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, Satyajit Ray, Amartya Sen.
• From Hindu College to Presidency College On 21 October 1853, Lord Dalhousie, the Governor of Bengal,Bihar and Odisha deciced to open ‘Presidency College’for all castes and creed. The 'scholars' of the College Department of Hindu College were transferred to Presidency College and 101 new students were freshly admitted.
• Henry Louis Vivian Derozio was a Professor Here You definitely have studied poems written by Derozio. He was a professor of English at Presidency at a very tender age. It was during this time when Hindus were eager to learn the English language and he was instrumental in imparting this knowledge. He died a sudden death, but he is remembered by everyone at the Presidency College because of what he had given to it.
• Extra-Curricular Activities From sports to debates to seminars – Presidency doesn’t lag far behind when it comes to implementing your skills other than studies. Sports are an annual affair. Fests and debates are organized by the Student’s Union. Seminars are organized at National level and sometimes at International levels also.
• Nearby College Street Presidency College is located very nearby to College street. The College Street is most famous for its small and big bookstores, which gives it the nicknameBoi Para (Colony of Books). It is the largest second-hand book market in the world and largest book market in India and collectively boasts of a collection of almost any title ever sold at Kolkata.
Now that the CAT exam is over, you must be wondering what will be the cutoffs of the top B-schools and which colleges ...
Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) revealed that it would start the digital evaluation of OMR sheets through a ...