The University of Madras, the Mother University of many a university in our Tamil Nadu and neigbhouring states has started language departments from 1907. Dr.S.R. Ranganathan, the first University Librarian emphasized the need for the language collection in 1930s and started collecting valuable documents in various languages. These collections were made use of by Faculty Members, Research Scholars and students for their knowledge development and Research work. When the language departments were moved to the Marina Campus, the language collections were separated from the Madras University Library and moved to the Marina Campus in the late 1970s to form an Oriental Research Institute Library where books on Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Samskrit, Hindi, Arabic, Persian, Urdu were housed. The Library at present caters to the needs of Faculty members, Research Scholars and Students in carrying out Research not only in their own language but also for comparative studies. Important and rare books of all the major branches of Literature are available in the Library. A separate reference section is also available.
Scholarship Available True