Ethiraj College for Women, started in 1948 was born out of the dream and vision of Shri. V.L. Ethiraj, an eminent lawyer and renowned philanthropist. It was established with a commitment to provide quality education to women with a strong emphasis on values and tradition and with the singular mission of empowering women.
The College situated in the heart of the city of Chennai in 9 acres of campus area, the College stands self-contained with prestigious structures measuring a total plinth area of 3,48,751sq.ft. This admirable infrastructural facility and the sound vision on which the Institution is built, is upheld by the successive Managements, Principals, Faculty and Students and this has gained for the College the five star status from NAAC and the College with Potential for Excellence (CPE) award from the UGC. Thousands of students have passed out of the portals of the College, carrying with them the aura and dignity of the Institution itself. These former students today occupy enviable positions all over the world from diplomatic circles, to law and order, to teaching and caring for the under-privileged. They have also won national awards for their contribution to the nation's cultural and educational legacy. In strengthening the core competencies, the College has been making steady progress. The College has a dedicated team of 283 faculty members who maintain academic excellence and about 6500 students who are the anchor to sustain the vision of the Institution. The College has high standards of academic excellence and a constant zeal for continuous updating and renewal of skills and knowledge.
Founded in 1948, the formative years witnessed a strong foundation through introduction of undergraduate (UG) courses in Economics, Botany, Chemistry, History, Zoology and English Literature along with the infrastructural facilities, resulting in the construction of the Science Block, Hostel, Open Air Theatre and the Old Library Block. The landmark development of this decade was the auditorium, which to this day remains the pride of the College. The decade of 1968 – 1978 saw the growth of the College with the introduction of Commerce, Mathematics and Physics at the UG level, and a number of post-graduate (PG) courses and the construction of the PG block.
A significant development of the next phase was the introduction of Evening College in 1981. Now, the thrust was on research with the introduction of M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes. The addition of the Annexe Campus of 59 grounds augured a new direction in the growth of the College. 1990-2000 saw a steady growth with the introduction of a variety of job oriented self-funded UG courses like Corporate Secretaryship, B.Com (Bank Management), BBA (Business Administration), B.Sc. Biochemistry, B.Sc. Microbiology and M.Sc. Plant Biology & Plant Bio-technology and the introduction of post-graduate AICTE approved courses, MBA and MCA, which was an important milestone in the growth of the College. The construction of New Science Block and dormitories for the hostel marked this new phase of development.
The beginning of the next decade, witnessed the Day College becoming autonomous along with a momentous growth of the College in its infrastructure: the N & D block, COE block, New Library, New hostel, Business Studies and Information Technology Block, all adding up to 2,66,000 sq. ft. Besides these, the College acquired a Language Lab and an Instrumentation Centre besides establishing online access to the holdings in the Library, Internet Centre and Computer Labs. The College entered the global arena by signing a MOU with the British Council for teaching Business English Certificate and First Certificate in English.
The core competency has been strengthened in many ways to suit the changing scenario. In the Aided stream, Botany was converted into Plant Biology and Plant Biotechnology, one section of History into Tourism and Travel Management, two sections of Zoology into Advanced Zoology and Biotechnology. In the Self-supporting stream, Economics was converted into Business Economics and one section of English to English and Communication Skills. At the PG level, a course in Human Rights and Duties Education was introduced during 2002. New courses namely, B.Sc. Clinical Nutrition, M.Sc. Physics, M.Sc. Foods & Nutrition were also introduced from 2005 in the Self-supporting stream. In 2006, B.Sc. Visual Communication, M.Sc. Biochemistry and M.Sc. Microbiology were introduced.
ECW Pictures & Videos
ECW Vision and Mission
VIsion - To achieve economic and social equity for women and through them strengthen the Nation to usher in an egalitarian society. To become a globally recognised Women's University. MISSION - To sensitize young women to their rights and place in society through advancement and application of relevant knowledge.
Awards & Rankings
1948- 1968 -Formative years with the introduction of UG courses in Economics, Botany, Chemistry, History, Zoology and English Literature (Aided Stream) 1973 -Visit of Prime Minister Smt Indira Gandhi during silver jubilee of the College 1975 -1st convocation held in the College 1968 - 1978 -2nd formative phase with the introduction of Commerce, Mathematics and Physics at the UG level and ...