Are you planning to pursue MBA from one of the best MBA colleges in India? If yes, you must have complete awareness of MBA admission process, list of good MBA colleges, management entrance exams and others. Not all the business schools in India follow a similar pattern of the admission process, and there are different components that determine the eligibility of candidates for the admission to MBA course. In general, top B-Schools follow a four-step process for admission to MBA courses.
In order to know about the MBA admission process 2019, you should be aware of the application process for the admission to MBA course, MBA eligibility criteria, MBA entrance exams and MBA admission requirements.
In this article, CollegeDekho has detailed the MBA admission process 2019 along with the list of some good B-Schools, entrance exams and admission requirements. We hope that this explanation will mitigate all the doubts and confusion prevailing among the aspirants with regard to MBA admissions in 2019.
MBA Admission Process 2019
The major difference between various B-Schools with regard to MBA admission process is acceptability of entrance test score. The subsequent stages of admission process such as Group Discussion/ Written Ability Test/ Personal Interview are almost similar in all the top B-Schools across the country. Let us start with the MBA application process to get more insight about MBA admissions 2019.
How to Apply for MBA Course?
98% of MBA colleges in India accept online applications for the admission to MBA courses. The online application process is very easy, and all that students will have to do is visit the official website of the respective B-School. The online application link will be active on the homepage of the respective B-School website with the heading ‘Admissions 2018’, ‘Apply Now’, ‘Register Now’, ‘Online Application Form’, ‘Click Here to Register’ etc.,
Students can fill all the personal, educational, entrance exam details in the application form. Most B-schools consider the score of any of the management entrance exams. Therefore, students need to submit the score of entrance exam and roll number along with the online application form. A valid e-mail id and mobile number are mandatory to fill the online application.
Applicants can pay the prescribed application fee through the official website of the institute. The application fee payment can be done by using Credit/ Debit Card or Net Banking.
There are certain B-Schools that offer direct admission to eligible candidates. These candidates can submit the online application form and wait for a call from the respective institute. The admission may be based on merit/ GD/ WAT/ PI.
MBA Eligibility Criteria:
The basic qualification required to join MBA course in India is as follows: -
- Indian citizens as wells as international students are eligible to pursue MBA course in India.
- Students who wish to join MBA course must note that a Bachelor’s degree in any stream from a recognized university is mandatory to be eligible for the admission process.
- The minimum percentage required in Bachelor’s degree to take up MBA course varies from 45% - 60%.
- A valid score in any of the management entrance exams such as CAT/ XAT/ CMAT/ GMAT/ MAT/ ATMA/ NMAT etc.,
MBA Entrance Exams for MBA Admissions 2019:
Here is the list of popular MBA entrance exams for MBA admission along with important dates:
Name of the Exam
Last Date to Apply
September 19, 2018
November 25, 2018
MAT September 2018 (Paper-Based)
September 02, 2018
September 08, 2018
September 15, 2018
September 14, 2018
December 02, 2018
November 30, 2018
January 06, 2019
November 30, 2018
January 28, 2019
November 20, 2018
December 02, 2018
For the list of more MBA entrance exams and dates, click on the link below
How to Get Admission in IIM?
CAT score is mandatory to get admission in IIMs (Indian Institutes of Management). IIMs have already initiated the process of CAT 2018 for the admission to PG management courses 2019-20. You can use the CAT 2018 Percentile Predictor to estimate whether or not you will be able to meet the IIM CAT cut-off criteria basis last year's trends or not. More details about the IIM admission process are elaborated below.
At present, there are 20 IIM colleges in India and almost all the institutes open and close the PG management admission process simultaneously. Usually, the admission process at IIMs begins after the announcement of CAT results. The admission process will go on for months, as the selection process involves different stages.
Apart from IIMs, FMS of Delhi University and Jawaharlal Nehru University will also accept CAT score for the admission to MBA course, and the admission process is similar to IIMs. In India, almost 3,000 business schools consider CAT score for the admission to management courses at postgraduate level.
Before understanding the admission process of IIMs, let us take a look at the list of IIMs, which are divided into three categories: -
Old IIMs: -
The following are the oldest Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) in India which are popular for academic excellence: -
These institutes are set up in the last five to seven years: -
Baby IIMs or Newest IIMs:
These institutes are set up in the recent years (3-4 years ago): -
The preliminary shortlisting/ selection of candidates in all the IIMs is similar, but the subsequent stages of the admission process are different. The preliminary stage of the selection process at IIMs is to ensure and determine a candidate’s eligibility for MBA admission in an IIM. The MBA admission process 2019 at IIMs involves the following four stages: -
Stage I – Determining Eligibility for MBA Admission: A graduate from any discipline with a minimum of 50% marks at UG level is eligible to apply for IIM CAT entrance exam.
Stage II – Apply and Appear for CAT Exam: All the eligible candidates must apply for CAT exam. The CAT 2019 application process was open till September 19, 2018 for admissions for next year.
Stage III – Shortlisting by IIMs for MBA Admissions: After the announcement of CAT results, IIMs will release the first shortlist for MBA admission 2019. In the process of shortlisting eligible candidates, IIMs will independently award weightage to CAT 2018 exam score, academic diversity, gender, work experience and academic profile etc., Some IIMs shortlist the candidates only on the basis of CAT score. This is also based on the CAT exam analysis.
Stage IV – Final Round of IIMs MBA Admission Process: The shortlisted candidates will be called for the final stage of the selection process that involves WAT (Written Ability Test)/ Group Discussion/ Personal Interview. Popular IIMs give higher weightage to GD/ PI that CAT score.
If your final score after the above round is higher, you will get admission in IIMs.
Note: The shortlisting/ selection criteria, weightage etc., are announced independently by the respective IIMs after the announcement of CAT results.
MBA Admission Process in India for Other Top MBA Colleges:
Almost, all the other business schools follow the similar pattern of the selection process for MBA course that involves entrance test score, GD/ PI/ WAT. Here is the list of some of the business schools and their selection process.
- Management Development Institute (MDI) Selection Process
- IMI Delhi Selection Process
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM) Selection process
- Great Lakes Institute of Management (GLIM) Selection Process
- JBIMS Selection Process
- IMT Ghaziabad Selection Process
- XLRI Jamshedpur Selection Process
- NITIE Mumbai Selection Process
- IBS Hyderabad Selection Process
- IIFT Selection Process
- TISS Selection Process
- IRMA Selection Process
- SPJIMR Selection Process
- MICA Selection Process
- SJMSOM – IIT Bombay Selection Process
Documents Required for MBA Admission 2019:
Here is the list of all the mandatory documents required to submit/ upload while taking MBA admission: -
- Entrance Test Score Card and Admit Card
- Bachelor’s degree Certificate/ Marks Sheet
- Higher Secondary Certificate (Class 10) and Senior Secondary School Certificate (Class 12)
- Category Certificate (If Required)
- Identify Proof (most probably Aadhar – Xerox copy)
- Work Experience Certificate (Only for those who have work experience)
Important Tips for MBA Admission 2019:
Candidates can follow some of the important tips mentioned below to increase their chances of getting MBA admission: -
- The candidates need to aim for getting a good score in the management entrance exam.
- Apart from appearing for a single entrance exam, it is advisable to take multiple entrance exams to increase admission chances and enhance knowledge.
- Do not aspire for only one top institute, you will have to make a list of top B-Schools to increase the chances of admission.
- If you want to achieve MBA seat in top B-School, be ready to migrate to large cities such as Bangalore, Delhi etc.,
- Participate in Group Discussion and Personal Interview with utmost confidence. Always try to grab the opportunity to express your ideas in GD. Try to give logical explanations and answers in GD and PI.
- Before taking admission in any institute, visit the campus to have more clarity and a better understanding of the respective institute.
- Explore the placement record of the institute over the last three to four years.
Also Read: CAT Score vs Percentile
CollegeDekho wishes Good Luck for all those aspiring to get MBA admission.