Start saving your
Create a free Profile now.
Courses & Exams
News & Articles
About Jesus and Mary College - JMC
- Jesus and Mary College was founded in July 1968 as a constituent college of the University of Delhi.
- The College opened with one department offering English (Hons) and B.A.(Pass) Courses with an enrolment of 116 students.
- The Staff consisted of Sr. M. Peter Claver as Principal, Sr. Magdalen, Lecturer and Head of Department of English and seven lady Lecturers. Sr. M. Stanislaus acted as cashier and there were two clerks, two office assistants and a Librarian. Fr. T. Mathias S.J. was the first Chairman of the Governing Body of the College.
- The aim of Jesus and Mary College is to make God known and loved by means of Christian education to all social milieu in keeping with the preference which St. Claudine had for the young and the poor.
- The College offers an integrated and all round education-intellectual, cultural, social, emotional, physical, aesthetic, moral and spiritual.
- The motto of the College is “THOU ART LIGHT, FILL ME WITH THY LIGHT.”
- The college true to its motto imparts education to the young students who come into its portals with a thirst for knowledge and wisdom.
- The college excels in academic as well as in extra-curricular activities.
- The year 1970-71 started with affiliation to the NSS.
- The general objective of NSS is the enrichment of students personality through community service, and students have been encouraged to develop a social conscience through this scheme.
- Sr. Aquinas Vigas , Principal of Jesus and Mary College from 1972 till Oct. 1977 was a woman of much intellectual ability and very strong will power.
- Within five or six years Jesus and Mary College girls could opt for many of the Honours Courses they desired, including Economics, Political Science, Hindi and Psychology.
- To the more practical and business – oriented among them, a B.Com Pass Course and in 1977 an Honours Course leading to the Bachelor of Commerce Degree was added.
- The PTSA in the Jesus and Mary College was formed in the year 1974.
- The primary objective of the PTSA was to develop wholesome interpersonal relationships, whilst another aim was to discuss and endeavour to find solutions for certain college problems.
- NCC came into existence in January 1974. Some girls were selected for the Air Wing, two were promoted to power flying and gliding.
- A Jesus and Mary College student is the only Indian of her age holding a private pilot’s license.
- Year 1975 marked the opening of Non Collegiate Centre for Women Education Board. Sr. Magdalene was appointed as Teacher Incharge by the University.
- Sister Agatha Mc Loughlin became Principal of Jesus and Mary College in Oct. 1977.
- She was highly esteemed and loved by all—a dynamic and dedicated person—who seemed incapable of saying ‘no’ to any challenge offered in spite of the pressure of her duties as Principal of an ever expanding College.
- 78-79- 10th Anniversary of the College. Sr. Melba officiated as Acting Principal.
- In the annals of the history of our college the year 1980 shall be written in golden letters.
- It was in this year under the guidance of Sr. Agatha McLoughlin, Principal, the students of JMC organized the First All India Cultural Festival ‘MONTAGE’ successfully.
- Sr. Dorothy took over as Acting Principal in Oct. 1987. Her tenure lasted for five years, and her services are gratefully remembered.
- IGNOU center began in 1987 with one Foundation Course (BPP) and with 125 students.
- Today we have over 2600 students on the rolls offering both undergraduate and post graduate courses.
- Sr. Melba Rodrigues became the Principal of Jesus and Mary College in Oct. 92.
- In 1993 Jesus and Mary College completed 25 years of service to the young women who studied here.
- Five Staff members were felicitated on their completing 25 years of service.
- A year – of activities programme was planned as part of the Silver Jubilee Celebrations.
- A play on the life of Claudine Thevenet directed by Prabha Tonk was also staged.
- In twenty five years Jesus and Mary College evolved into one of the premiere institutions in Delhi University.
- We added one more feather to our cap by pioneering in 1994 the Bachelor of Elementary Education (B.El.Ed.) Programme in collaboration with MACESE and Department of Education, (CIE), University of Delhi.
- Sr. Guilhermina took over as Acting Principal in 1995. Jesus and Mary College has performed well in sports at all levels in the previous years.
- For the first time we received the Vice Chancellor’s Trophy and were declared the best college in Delhi University in women’s sports competitions.
- We have the unique distinction of getting this Trophy for the last 12 years.
- Sr. Colette became the Principal of Jesus and Mary College in July’ 96. She contributed with dedication and hardwork for the upliftment of the college.
- In October 1998 Sr. Marina took over as Principal of the College.
- 3rd February is the Feast of St. Claudine Thevenet, the Foundress of Jesus and Mary Congregation and the year 2000 - the year of Christ, is the Jubilee of his birth.
- 3rd February, 2000 was thus a very special day in the history of Jesus and Mary College.
- The road in front of the College was named as JESUS AND MARY COLLEGE MARG. Mrs. Sheila Dixit, Chief Minister of Delhi graced the occasion.
- His Grace Alan de Lastic, Archbishop of Delhi blessed the road and each one present there.
- The Multi Purpose Hall – was a long cherished dream of all at JMC. Much hard work and effort has gone into its completion.
- We are proud of this accomplishment – a dream come true in the history of Jesus and Mary College.
- It was inaugurated in 2006 and blessed by Archbishop Vincent Concessao.
- The facilities offered are an auditorium, an area for indoor games, computer laboratory and seminar / conference rooms.
- Today the Jesus and Mary College caters to 2500 students – 10 Honours programs and B.A. Restructured program with 13 subject combinations and Post graduation programs in English and Hindi.
JMC Pictures & Videos
Awards & Rankings
- Apurvi Chandela, a final year student of Sociology Honours, won the gold medal at the 2014 Common Wealth Games, Glasgow in the women's 10m air rifle event.
- Manika Batra, student of sociology honours stood at 4th place in the women`s singles table tennis in the CWG, Glasgow, 2014.
Contact Details of JMC
Jesus and Mary College, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi- 110021