Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
When thinking of a prospective career, most of us are inclined towards Management, Engineering, & Medical related career. But there are career prospects beyond these that are equally rewarding. One such prospecting career lies in Hotel & Hospitality Industry. However, the mere mention of “Hotel Management” triggers the image of a person wearing a white apron & a white tower hat, cooking & serving food.
Myths about Hotel Management Career Prospects
Let’s take a quick look at the myths that are usually associated with Hotel Management.
- Hotel management is all about cooking & serving: A common notion among many parents and even students. Hotel management jobs aren’t just limited to cooking. It also involves housekeeping, front office operations, event planners, and accounting. In other words, there are a lot of career options in the hotel management industry waiting to be explored by students.
- It will take time for Hotel management aspirants to establish: This goes for every industry. For every new joiner, it takes months to learn the basics of the position. And it requires dedication & hard work to get well-established. Plus, you get the opportunity to work with reputed organizations such as Taj, Oberoi, Hyatt, and Radisson.
- Aspirants are restricted to the hotel industry post Hotel management: A student who holds a hotel management degree has myriad of diversified career opportunities such as accommodation managers in conference centers, care homes, hospitals, etc; cabin crew, culinary manager in airlines, or tour manager, or ultimately as a teacher in the same stream.
- Hotel management is usually chosen by academically weak students: Taking a hotel management degree is more than just marks. It requires great skills and talent to thrive in this industry. Every student has to undergo a tough process before getting admission, comprising of a written examination, followed by a group discussion and a final interview.
- Hospitality jobs aren’t suitable for women: Another misconception that’s still prevalent. In reality, women are more considered over male candidates due to the former possessing better interpersonal and soft-spoken skills. Plus, women are excellent at handling pressure.
List of Government Jobs for Hotel Management Graduates in India
A holder of a hotel management degree cannot apply for government jobs – this is one particular notion that is completely falsified with the ability of an individual to apply for government jobs if the candidate holds a degree from a reputed hotel management institute. One can apply for government jobs in areas such as Railway Catering, Army/Institute Catering, Teacher or Faculty in Hotel Management Institutes. Food Corporation of India, and Food Safety & Standard Authority of India.
INR 2.0 – 4.0 Lakhs
Candidate must be under 30 and full-time B. Sc. in Hospitality & Hotel Administration with min 2 years of exp
Ministry of Tourism
INR 4.1 – 5.2 Lakhs
Candidates must be 18+ years and should have a bachelor’s degree from a reputed hospitality insitute
Indian Army, Navy, & Air Force
INR 1.10 – 4.20 Lakhs
Candidates must be 21 to 27 years of age and should have one-year diploma or certificate from a reputed organisation
IHM & Other Hotel Management Institutes
INR 3.0 – 13.0 Lakhs
PhD degree with six months working experience in a 3 star or above category hotel & be qualified NHTET with prescribed percentage, conducted by NCHMCT
How to Get a Government Job after Hotel Management?
Post completion of your hotel management course, you can easily apply for any government job including a catering job in IRCTC. However, it would be more favourable if you happen to have at least a year or two of experience in the hotel industry. Now the real question is – how to apply for a government job after completing hotel management?
The entire procedure is pretty simple and remains the same for any graduate who is applying for a government job. You need to fill up the online forms, sit for the written exams, and sit for the interview once you have successfully cleared the written exams. If you have completed a reputed course in hotel management, try working in a branded hospitality institute or a branded hotel for 2 years at least as this gives you an edge over other candidates who are directly applying for government jobs in the hospitality sector.
Now let’s take a look at the recruitment process of hotel management candidates for the above-given job roles.
For IRCTC Catering & Supervisor: The selection process requires the interested candidates to fill up the relevant application form and appear for the interview on the given date & time. The candidate must also carry an updated resume and all original documents as well as the self-attested photocopies of all certificates related to age proof, qualifications, experience (if any), and photographs. You might have to carry a caste proof certificate in case applying from SC/ST/OBC category.
For JCO Catering & Hospitality Department: The recruitment process is taken care of by the Zonal Recruitment Office (ZRO). The application of every candidate is processed by the ZRO of that particular state. The process comprises of application, authentication of the documents submitted, execution of physical & medical fitness, Common Entrance Test (CET), and publication of the final merit list.
For Assistant Lecturer & Teaching Associate: The recruitment for an Assistant Lecturer is either through direct recruitment or is a contractual one wherein the NHTET (National Hospitality Teacher’s Eligibility Test) weightage is considered.
We hope that the above information was helpful to you, stay tuned to CollegeDekho for the latest updates on Hotel Management admissions.