Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
National Board of Accreditation is different from other accreditation bodies in India, as it accredits programmes or courses and not institutes. There is a major difference between NAAC and NBA. National Board of Accreditation (NBA) accredits technical programmes/ courses such as engineering and management programmes, while NAAC accredits general universities and colleges.
NBA Accredited Courses/ Programmes in India
The NBA accreditation applies for Diploma, Undergraduate, and Postgraduate courses. As far as education fields concerned, the NBA accreditation include –
- Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Computer Applications
- Applied Arts and Crafts
- Engineering & Technology
NBA accreditation is voluntary. However, AICTE in 2017 announced that it would not grant approval for technical institutes, which failed to accredit at least half of its courses/ programmes. The NBA accreditation is valid for three years.
Authorities of NBA
At present, NBA comprises of the following authorities –
- The General Council
- The Executive Committee
- Additional Authorities declared or constituted by the General Council
Objectives of NBA Accreditation
- NBA accreditation assures that the graduates of courses accredited by NBA possess enough academic background for going ahead with their professional career in IT, engineering and computer-related disciplines, or engineering technology.
- NBA accreditation promotes new and innovative methods in engineering and associated fields education system, provides consultation and guidelines for educational programmes.
- NBA provides feedback to educational institutes for the improvement/ development of educational programmes.
Importance and Benefits of NBA Accreditation
The benefits and significance of NBA accreditation is given below -
- NBA accreditation demonstrates accountability to the public or people.
- The accreditation of NBA clearly indicates the commitment to excellence.
- NBA accreditation plays a vital role in facilitating constant quality improvement in higher learning institutes.
- NBA accreditation recognises the innovations and achievements of higher learning institutes.
- The accreditation of NBA helps higher educational institute to know its strengths, weaknesses and opportunities.
- NBA accreditation helps institutes to get financial assistance from government agencies, private bodies etc.
- The accreditation gives higher learning institutes a new sense of direction and identity.
- The society can get reliable information about the quality of education offered in an institute through NBA accreditation.
- NBA accreditation promotes intra and inter-institutional interactions.
Impact of NBA Accreditation
The purpose and impact of NBA accreditation go far beyond quality assurance of a programme/ institution. Major impacts of NBA accreditation are elaborated below -
- One of the major impacts of NBA accreditation is that it encourages quality improvement initiatives by higher learning institutes.
- The second impact is that NBA accreditation student enrolment both in terms of quantity and quality.
- NBA accreditation helps educational institutes in securing necessary funds.
- The employability of graduates will be enhanced through NBA accreditation.
- NBA accreditation motivates faculty to actively take part in academic/ institutional/ departmental activities.
- NBA accreditation brings sound and challenging environment in the premises of an educational institute.
NBA Accreditation Process
The accreditation process of NBA involves the following stages –
- Institute Registration
- Submitting Application for NBA Accreditation
- Pre-Visit Activities
- Visit of NBA Evaluation Team to Applicant Institutes
- Post-Visit Activities
- Assessment and Decision Making Process
NBA Accreditation Parameters
The NBA evaluation team will assess the programmes offered by institutes based on the following parameters –
- Mission and Vision Statement
- Programme Educational Objectives
- Programme Outcomes
- Course Outcomes
- Faculty Contributions
- Students’ Performance
- Teaching-Learning Process
- Laboratories, Infrastructure, Library associated with programmes
In all, NBA accreditation adds value to the reputation of the institute. Most of the universities in India have NBA accreditation for their courses/ programmes.
For the latest education news, career articles, admission and exam updates, stay tuned to CollegeDekho.