National Board of Accreditation is different from other accreditation bodies in India, as it accredits programmes or courses and not institutes. There is a major difference between NAAC and NBA. National Board of Accreditation (NBA) accredits technical programmes/ courses such as engineering and management programmes, while NAAC accredits general universities and colleges.
NBA Accredited Courses/ Programmes in India
The NBA accreditation applies for Diploma, Undergraduate, and Postgraduate courses. As far as education fields concerned, the NBA accreditation include –
- Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Computer Applications
- Applied Arts and Crafts
- Engineering & Technology
NBA accreditation is voluntary. However, AICTE in 2017 announced that it would not grant approval for technical institutes, which failed to accredit at least half of its courses/ programmes. The NBA accreditation is valid for three years.
Authorities of NBA
At present, NBA comprises of the following authorities –
- The General Council
- The Executive Committee
- Additional Authorities declared or constituted by the General Council
Objectives of NBA Accreditation
- NBA accreditation assures that the graduates of courses accredited by NBA possess enough academic background for going ahead with their professional career in IT, engineering and computer-related disciplines, or engineering technology.
- NBA accreditation promotes new and innovative methods in engineering and associated fields education system, provides consultation and guidelines for educational programmes.
- NBA provides feedback to educational institutes for the improvement/ development of educational programmes.
Importance and Benefits of NBA Accreditation
The benefits and significance of NBA accreditation is given below -
- NBA accreditation demonstrates accountability to the public or people.
- The accreditation of NBA clearly indicates the commitment to excellence.
- NBA accreditation plays a vital role in facilitating constant quality improvement in higher learning institutes.
- NBA accreditation recognises the innovations and achievements of higher learning institutes.
- The accreditation of NBA helps higher educational institute to know its strengths, weaknesses and opportunities.
- NBA accreditation helps institutes to get financial assistance from government agencies, private bodies etc.
- The accreditation gives higher learning institutes a new sense of direction and identity.
- The society can get reliable information about the quality of education offered in an institute through NBA accreditation.
- NBA accreditation promotes intra and inter-institutional interactions.
Impact of NBA Accreditation
The purpose and impact of NBA accreditation go far beyond quality assurance of a programme/ institution. Major impacts of NBA accreditation are elaborated below -
- One of the major impacts of NBA accreditation is that it encourages quality improvement initiatives by higher learning institutes.
- The second impact is that NBA accreditation student enrolment both in terms of quantity and quality.
- NBA accreditation helps educational institutes in securing necessary funds.
- The employability of graduates will be enhanced through NBA accreditation.
- NBA accreditation motivates faculty to actively take part in academic/ institutional/ departmental activities.
- NBA accreditation brings sound and challenging environment in the premises of an educational institute.
NBA Accreditation Process
The accreditation process of NBA involves the following stages –
- Institute Registration
- Submitting Application for NBA Accreditation
- Pre-Visit Activities
- Visit of NBA Evaluation Team to Applicant Institutes
- Post-Visit Activities
- Assessment and Decision Making Process
NBA Accreditation Parameters
The NBA evaluation team will assess the programmes offered by institutes based on the following parameters –
- Mission and Vision Statement
- Programme Educational Objectives
- Programme Outcomes
- Course Outcomes
- Faculty Contributions
- Students’ Performance
- Teaching-Learning Process
- Laboratories, Infrastructure, Library associated with programmes
In all, NBA accreditation adds value to the reputation of the institute. Most of the universities in India have NBA accreditation for their courses/ programmes.
For the latest education news, career articles, admission and exam updates, stay tuned to CollegeDekho.