Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
How to Choose Right Subject / Stream for Class 11th?
Class 11th is considered as one of the important classes that one has to clear during their school years. During high school, students do not face many problems as they do not have to make tough choices related to subjects they want to study. While getting enrolled in intermediate class or 11th class, students face a big dilemma of choosing their respective stream which will eventually set a base for their further studies.
There are various aspects one must keep in mind while choosing a stream in class 11th. It is important that students must have interest in the subject they are choosing so as not to feel burdensome with the course study. Another important aspect among many other aspects is to also keep in mind the long term goals of that particular stream. Students must also think about the different job prospects related to the stream they are choosing and how it will help them to establish a successful career in it.
There are endless problems that a student faces while choosing a stream in class 11th. In such a scenario, it is required that the student must take help from elders, especially school teachers, parents or any career counselor which will guide the students through this tough phase of life. Along with that it is also required that students must have self awareness also and must know their interests and what they wish to become in future.
In the following article, we have provided detailed information about how students must choose the right subject or stream in class 11th and what are the factors they must keep in mind while making a choice.
How to Choose the Appropriate Stream for Class 11th?
- When entering in class 11th, students need to make a choice from three streams. The three streams comprise of Arts and Humanities, Commerce and Science. All the three streams differ from each other in the matter of approach.
- Students must choose the stream on the basis of their interest. It is important that students must choose those subjects which they enjoy studying.
- Students must not choose any stream on the basis of their parents choice or under any pressure.
Available Streams in Class 11th
There are three streams available to all the students when they enter in class 11. Out of these three streams they have to choose any one stream. Three streams are as follows:
Science Stream: In this stream, students study subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics etc. After choosing science stream, students have an option of becoming scientist, engineer, doctor, etc.
Arts Stream: In this stream students study subjects such as History, Political Science, Geography, Economics, etc. After pursuing Arts stream, students can have a job profile as a political scientist, Economist, Lawer, etc.
Commerce Stream: This stream basically offers subjects related to finance and business. Students also get a chance to study economics here as well. Other subjects offered in this stream are as follows: Business Studies, Accountancy, Economics, Mathematics, etc.
Courses Offered by Different Boards in Class 11th
- The Central board of secondary education offers class 11th and 12th as an integrated course.
- CBSE allows the students enrolled in class 11th to choose maximum 9 subjects and minimum 5 subjects.
- Students have to also study the same subjects in class 12th as well as chosen in class 11th. Hence, it is required that students must diligently choose the subjects in class 11th based on their interest.
- For more information related to class 11th prospectus, students can visit the official website of CBSE- www.cbseacademic.nic.in.
- On this site, students will find all the important information related to class 11th and which subjects are offered by CBSE in class 11th.
- The Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations is a private board which conducts class 10th and class 12th examinations at the national level across the country.
- In this board, students have to choose the subjects in class 9 itself which act as a base for the students in class 11th preparation.
- In the CISCE board, English is a compulsory subject.
- Along with English, students have to choose other 5 elective subjects of their choice.
- Students can visit the following site in order to know more about CISCE class 11th prospects- cisce.org
- The University of Cambridge Assessment International Education(CAIE), is the authority which is responsible for conducting exams for the IGCSE board in India.
- IGCSE board offers 5 subjects to the students studying in class 11th.
- Students have to pass class 11th exams.
- English is the compulsory subject for this board and needs to be studied by every student who is enrolled in class 11th under this particular board.
- In order to know more about the IGCSE board and the subjects that are offered by this board in class 11th, students can visit the official website of CAIE where students can access the detailed information related to class 11th prospectus.
- The official website of IGCSE is www.cambridgeinternational.org.
- Along with the national boards as mentioned above, there are state boards as well which conducts class 10th and class 12th board examinations for their respective states.
- State boards also offer the same subjects as CBSE such as Mathematics, Science, History, Geography, etc.
- In class 11th, students who are enrolled in class 11th are allowed to choose 4 subjects and 2 languages.
- In order to pass the class 11th exams, students have to clear all the subjects.
- Students can gather other important information related to class 11th prospectus by visiting the official website of the respective state board.
- Some of the state boards in india are as follows: Telangana State Board of Intermediate Education (TSBIE), Board of Secondary Education, Assam, Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education, Jammu and Kashmir State Board of School Education, Uttar Pradesh State Board of High School and Intermediate Education, Uttarakhand Board of School Education, etc.
How to Choose the Right Stream for Class 11th?
Choosing a right stream in class 11th is one of the most important steps towards pursuing a successful professional life. Given below are some of the important tips for students who are facing problem in choosing a stream in class 11th:
- Students who are unsure about which subject or stream they should choose must not lose confidence. In order to seek proper guidance, students can consult a counselor who will help them in understanding their interest and choosing a right stream for class 11th.
- Students should not get influenced by their friends or family by choosing the stream and should rely upon their own decision while choosing the subjects for class 11th.
- Students must also discuss the following matter with their teacher as well which will surely provide an appropriate guidance to the students as to which subjects will be productive and good for their career in future.
- Students must not neglect the advice given by their parents while choosing the subjects in class 11 and must listen to their parents carefully.
- Students must also do research of their own and must understand all the three streams and subjects offered carefully. Along with that they must also be aware of the career prospects linked with a particular stream and then wisely make a choice.
- Last but not the least, students must first sort out their own interests and try to understand which subject they enjoy studying the most and choose that subject only in class 11th.
- It is important to keep in mind that the subjects that one chooses in class 11 must not become burdensome for them to study.