- About Bachelor of Computer Science (BCA)
- About B.Sc Computer Science
- Differences Between BCA and B.Sc Computer Science
- Difference Between BCA and B.Sc Computer Science Career Scopes
- Benefits of Pursuing BCA Course
- Benefits of Pursuing B.Sc Computer Science Course
- Top BCA and BSc Computer Science Colleges and Their Fee …
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
The rapid growth of the IT sector has created immense job opportunities for computer professionals. By observing this, students after their 12th often choose IT as their career. While some students prefer B.Sc in Computer Science programme, some others consider a Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) as their career path. Choosing the right course is very crucial after the 12th as this is a pillar stage of an individual’s career. At this point, guidance is needed. Those who are confused about BCA and B.Sc Computer Science or are hovering around the question of which one to opt for can get the answer here. We have presented a comparative discussion on BCA vs B.Sc Computer Science. Let’s read it and try to understand which one would be better as a course.
About Bachelor of Computer Science (BCA)
BCA or Bachelor of Computer Science is a three-year undergraduate course in which the students are taught about the application of computer science. Gaining hardware knowledge is not important here. Fundamentals of computers, programming languages, web designing, operating systems, database management, networking, etc. are the areas of study included in this course. Students interested in computer fields get ample opportunities by pursuing a BCA course.
About B.Sc Computer Science
B.Sc Computer Science on the other hand is a 3-year undergraduate course that purely concentrates on core concepts of computer science. In short, it is a concept-oriented course by which a strong theoretical foundation can be built in computer science. Programming concepts, control structures, disk operations, etc. are taught here. The course does not focus on current technologies and applications rather it empowers the basic understanding of computer science so that the students won’t struggle to learn new things in the future.
Differences Between BCA and B.Sc Computer Science
Check out some basic differences between BCA and B.Sc Computer Science courses:
B.Sc Computer Science Course
Bachelor of Computer Science
Bachelor of Science
Area of Focus
Application of Computer Science
Core Concepts of Computer Science
Average Course Fees
INR 2-3 lakhs per year
INR 20000-60000 per semester
Must qualify (10+2) level examination in any stream with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate
Must pass (10+2) with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics
An aggregate of a minimum of 50-60% is required
Merit or Entrance Exam Based
Merit/ Entrance Exam Based
Top Recruiting Companies
4-8 lakhs per annum
6 Lakhs per annum
Difference Between BCA and B.Sc Computer Science Career Scopes
Career scopes can be a crucial parameter to understand the differences between BCA and B.Sc Computer Science. Two important differences based on the career opportunities are cited below:
- As BCA is a dedicated professional course, employers get trained candidates from this field. While a graduate of B.Sc Computer Science will require to do some professional training as per the demand of the job. And this factor makes the job scopes high for the BCA graduates.
- B.Sc computer science graduates possess clear concepts of computational theories than BCA graduates. Therefore, any further learning in the professional field becomes easy for a B.Sc CS degree holder. As they have much stronger foundation-level knowledge, they can attain jobs in any related industries that put their knowledge to use. On the other hand, a BCA student gets to learn only about some specific applications and technologies. Hence, they are employable in the fields where those specific technologies are implemented.
Benefits of Pursuing BCA Course
Practical reasons for doing a particular course must be sought at the decision-making stage. Considering that we have enlisted here some benefits of the BCA programme. Let’s have a quick look at that:
- With a Bachelor of Computer Application Course, candidates can unveil multi-faceted career options. Healthcare, trading, software, and education are some of the fields where BCA candidates are employed in huge numbers.
- After doing the BCA, if the students go for pursuing a Master in Computer Application, it would add some incredible benefits to their career. Professional opportunities on an international level will open up for them.
- The average salary of a BCA graduate is 4-8 lakhs. So, for those who want to start their career with a lucrative pay scale, BCA could be the best career option for them.
Benefits of Pursuing B.Sc Computer Science Course
Listed below are some important benefits that a B.Sc Computer Science Graduates will enjoy at the end of the course:
- With the continuous surge of contribution to India’s GDP, the IT sector has developed a lot. Hence, it has become the most sought professional path for students. And most importantly, B.Sc Computer Science graduates are in high demand in this field.
- Since it is a technology-oriented degree though focused on basic concepts of computer science, career scopes are high in the IT field.
- Graduates with B.Sc computer Science get a high paying scale compared to the other graduates. And the salary scale gets high with experience.
- As the IT sector is considered to be one of the most secured industries in the nation, the job securities are high here.
Top BCA and BSc Computer Science Colleges and Their Fee Structures
Check out the list of top colleges in India offering BCA and B.Sc Computer Science courses. Alongside is given the average course fees:
Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA)
Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research, Pune
Kristu Jayanti College, Bangalore
Loyola College, Chennai
Stella Maris College, Chennai
Goswami Ganesh Dutta S.D College, Chandigarh
St. Joseph College Bangalore,
Women’s Christian College, Chennai
Madras Christian College
B.Sc Computer Science
Delhi University, New Delhi
St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
Christ University, Bangalore
Fergusson College, Pune
Loyola College, Pune
Jodhpur National University, Jodhpur
Rs 1.64 Lakhs
The Oxford College of Science, Bangalore
Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
Mithibai College of Arts, Mumbai
Sacred Heart College, Kochi
Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj University, Navi Mumbai
DAV University, Jalandhar
30,000/- to 1,52,000/-
Hope the above discussion made on BCA vs B.Sc Computer Science will help the candidates to make the correct choice between these two popular courses.
For more information on BCA and B.Sc Computer Science-related information, stay tuned to CollegeDekho!