Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Indian Army is one of the most elite forces in this world and is known for its high standards of employment and training. Being recruited in the Indian Army and serving the country is considered to be one of the most honourable jobs in the world.
Indian Army has different standards of selecting potential candidates. Recruitment is done for different posts including soldiers, officers, engineers, lawyers, nurses, judges and others. All the posts provided by the army can be classified into permanent jobs and temporary jobs. Find out the details below:
Entry into Army is done for two types of services:
Permanent Commission (PC) – that is granted through the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun to candidate of 19 to 24 years of age. For posts offered under this service are for a duration till the officer reaches the age of retirement. Entries are done through either of the following modes:
- NDA – After 10+2 (Through UPSC)
- Direct Entry (Through UPSC)
- University Entry Schemes 10+2 TES
- Engineering Graduates – TGC
Short Service Commission (SSC) – granted through Officers Training Academy (OTA), Chennai to candidates of 19 to 25 years of age. Entries under this category are done for a short term of up to 10 years. Candidates are given the option to choose PC after that or they can retire. An extension of 4 years is also possible during which the candidate can quit the army at any time. Recruitment for SSC is done for:
- Non-Tech (For men as well as women)
- Tech (For men as well as women)
- NCC Special Entry (For Law Graduates i.e. both men & women)
How to Join Indian Army:
How to Join Indian Army after Class 10?
- Candidates can join the Indian Army for the Solder General Duty. For this, candidates must have scored at least 45% marks in class 10 and must be of 17.5 to 21 years of age.
- Admission under this category will be done on the basis of medical fitness, medical tests and performance in the written exams.
How to Join Indian Army after Class 12?
For the Recruitment of Officers:
- Candidates who have passed the class 12 exams or its equivalent are 16.5 to 19 years of age can apply for Indian Army Entries through National Defence Academy (NDA).
- Candidates will have to undergo 3 years of training at NDA and one year at IMA to get placed in the Indian Army.
- Entry in the NDA will be based on entrance exam that is conducted twice a year i.e. NDA I and NDA II.
- Once the candidates have cleared the written exam, they are called for SSB interview and medical assessment round.
- Final selections are done on the basis of in NDA written exam, performance in SSB interview and reports in the medical assessment.
For the Recruitment of Soldiers:
- Candidates who have Class 12 can also apply for the post of Soldier Technical, Nursing Assistant, Clerk and Storekeeper Technical.
- Candidates who are between the age group of 17.5 -23 years can apply for these positions.
- Recruitment is done through written exams, fitness tests and medical examination.
How to Join Indian Army after Engineering Diploma/ Technical Entry?
Technical Entry Scheme:
- Candidates can either apply through technical entry scheme basis which they can apply for the post of engineer through SSB.
- For this the age of the candidate must be 16.5 to 19 years and he/she must have scored 70% marks in class 12 with science stream.
- Candidates between 19 to 25 years of age can apply through University Entry Scheme (UES) in pre-final of Engineering Degree programme.
- Students pursuing B. Tech/B. E. who are in their final year can apply TGC (Engineers) entries. The age of candidates must be 20 to 27 years for this entry level.
- For SSC Technical Men, engineering degree holders (notified discipline) with 20 to 27 years of age can apply.
How to Join Indian Army after Graduation?
Entry through CDS:
- Applicants who have completed their graduation and have their age between 19 and 24 years can apply for the Indian Army.
- Selections for the Indian Military Academy (IMA) are done through the Combined Defense Service (CDS) Exam followed by SSB Interview.
- Applicants willing to apply for SSC will also have to appear for the CDS examination.
Special Entries for NCC:
- Law graduates with at least 50% marks along with a two year service in NCC Senior Division Army with grades B or C in the qualifying test can apply for special entries.
- Candidates willing to apply for these entries must be between 19 to 25 years of age.
- Through these entries, the candidates will be called directly for SSB interviews. Selected candidates are admitted to the Officers Training Academy (OTA), Chennai.
Judge Advocate Entry:
- Law graduates with minimum 55% marks who are registered with the Bar Council of India or of the State can apply for the Judge Advocate Entry.
- Only those candidates who come under the age slab of 21 to 27 years can apply for this entry.
- Selection is done through SSB and training is offered at OTA, Chennai.
Since selection for all the exams is done through SSB interviews, it is essential to present your profile and purpose to join the Indian Army carefully. IT will also help to get all the medical check-ups done before being examined in the fitness drive as it will help you analyse your fitness and health goals. Get exam updates and notifications at collegedekho.com.