Didn’t get the branch that you were looking forward to pursuing at IITs? Don’t be disappointed because there is another chance to redeem yourself. If your JEE Advanced rank didn’t fetch you the desired stream, you can always fight for the same after completing the first year of your programme.
Yes! You can apply for a branch change on the basis of the grades and CGPA scored by you in the first two semesters of your course. But mind you, it will not be easy as many of your batch mates will be fighting for the same prize. However, you still have a chance to study the branch that you are passionate about.
Before starting your preparation for the new competitive drive, make sure that you consider the option carefully. Make sure that the branch you want to switch to is really what you want to study or is it just the academic pressure that is driving you to do so!
Also, different IITs may have different criteria for branch change scheme and eligibility criteria mentioned below is a generic idea of what you need to achieve in order to change your branch. Following are the factors that you should consider before opting for branch change.
Pros of Branch Change:
- Getting a chance to study one of the top branches of engineering.
- Better job opportunities after pursuing these branches as they are in demand within the industry.
- Chances of getting relatively higher packages.
- Opportunity to study with some of the best students of the institute.
Cons of Branch Change:
- If you are choosing a branch just because of its popularity then it is a possibility that you might not find the branch interesting.
- Since you are opting for one of the best branches, the competition within the course will be quite high, therefore, performing will also be difficult.
Criteria for changing the Branch at IITs:
IITs allow its students to change branch on the basis of two criteria. Either the students can change their branch on the basis of CGPA at the end of 2nd Semester or they can apply for a different branch on the basis of their JEE Advanced Rank.
1. On the basis of CGPA at the end of 2nd semester:
- Students of General or OBC category who have secured CGPA 8 are eligible to apply for branch change. (CGPA for SC/ST/PwD students is 7).
- Earned credits / non-graded units of a student at the end of the first year are also considered for branch change. All the credits of core, as well as non-graded units of the first two semesters, are considered.
- To keep an option, students should select one of the first year subject by each programme for which they have secured a grade equal to or above B.
- Students who wish to change their branch must not have any backlog in the first year.
- Also, there should not be any history of disciplinary action against him/her.
2. On the basis of JEE Advanced Rank:
- In order to apply for branch change through JEE Advanced Rank, students must have pursued the prescribed course credits in the first year of the course.
- There should not be any backlog after the completion of the first year.
- General category students must have maintained at least CPI 8, whereas, SC, ST and PwD category students must maintain minimum CPI 7.
Branch of students will be changed only under the following circumstances:
- Extra seats of up to 10% of the total seats are reserved in each branch before allocation of seats.
- Seat allotment for branch change is not done according to student category. Reserved category students will not be offered any additional seats under the branch changing scheme.
- Seats that are offered under the branch change scheme in IITs can be occupied by students of any category irrespective of the category.
Student can change his branch from A to B only if either of the following conditions satisfy:
- Student has secured at least CPI 9 and seats are available in Branch B, or,
- Seats are available in branch B and the strength of branch A does not drop more than 25% of its sanctioned strength. Also, there should be no such student who has a higher CPI yet has been denied entry into branch B due to the above rule.
Steps to Change Department at IITs:
Most of the IITs provide the provision for changing departments. Students can apply for the same through the official website of the college. Check the steps below:
- Look for the ‘Change of branch’ button and click on it.
- Fill your preferences and all the other details asked in the form.
- Save and submit the form.
- You will also be required to certify that you are applying for the branch change after consulting with your parents by checking the box.
- An email will be sent to your registered email ID regarding your branch change request.
- Submit the hard copy of the branch change form along with your signature in the Academic Office of the respective institute.
Note: The form once submitted cannot be changed, therefore, be very careful while filling the various fields asked in the form.
Being granted your wish for branch change at IITs after the first year is a very difficult. Very few of the students who apply for the branch change are able to get their desired branch. While applying for branch change, always remember that you can have a bright career in any of the fields offered by the IITs.
Regardless of the branch change scheme seat allotment, you must keep encouraging yourself to do better as there will be a plethora of opportunities available for you once you have completed your graduation with good grades.