- CLAT PG 2023 Exam Pattern
- CLAT PG 2023 Exam Pattern: Subject-Wise Weightage
- CLAT PG 2023 Syllabus
- CLAT PG 2023 Subject-Wise Important Topics
- CLAT PG Previous Year’s Question Distribution
- Best Book for CLAT PG 2023 Preparation
- Useful Preparation Tips for CLAT PG 2023
- How to Attempt CLAT PG 2023 Question Paper: Tips and …
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
To best prepare for your CLAT PG 2023 examination, you need to have a deeper understanding of what topics and sections are important and what percentage weightage those topics carry in the question paper. To know and gauge what topics are crucial for your CLAT PG 2023 examination, check the previous year's question papers, do some research and analyze the frequency of different questions that were asked in the last year’s question papers from a particular topic/ subject.
CLAT or Common Law Admission Test is held every year by the Consortium of the NLUs. Almost 70,000 candidates appear for CLAT every year as this is the only gateway for admission into the 22 NLUs (National Law Universities). So, it is not an easy task to clear CLAT as it is one of the most popular and competitive law entrance exams in India. Candidates have to pass the examination and secure a decent rank in CLAT to ensure their seat in one of the top NLUs. The CLAT 2023 PG preparation must include covering the whole syllabus, practising sample papers, making strategies to finish the paper on time, and making short notes. As the application process for CLAT 2023 has already started aspirants must keep in mind that there is not much time left for the examination. When your preparation is strong, you will have the confidence to secure a good mark easily.
In this article, we have compiled all the important topics that need to be covered for your CLAT PG 2023 examination along with the topic-wise marks weightage of the question paper, a few important books/ course material to study from, and some useful preparation tips that will help you ace the examination.
CLAT PG 2023 Exam Pattern
CLAT PG 2023 question paper will contain 120 MCQ-type questions which are of one mark each. The Consortium of the NLUs has fixed the examination duration to 120 minutes to complete the paper. Before proceeding with the preparation tips and topics, let’s take a look at the CLAT PG examination highlight.
CLAT 2023 PG Exam Pattern
120 minutes (2 hours)
Type of questions
Objective and Subjective
Undergraduate Mandatory Law Topics
+1 for each correct answer
-0.25 for every incorrect answer
CLAT PG 2023 Exam Pattern: Subject-Wise Weightage
The tabulated data below shows the subjects in CLAT PG 2023 and the number of questions asked from the given subjects along with the total number of marks for each subject.
No. of MCQ Questions
Other law subjects including Criminal Law, International Law, Law of Torts, Contract Law, Jurisprudence and IPR
CLAT PG 2023 Syllabus
The most essential part of CLAT 2023 PG preparation is to know the syllabus properly. 120 questions will be asked in the CLAT PG examination from the following subjects:
Law of Contract
Property Law and Company Law
Public International Law
Labour & Industrial Law
Apart from the syllabus, let’s understand the different sections in PG CLAT 2023. CLAT PG is divided into two sections- Objective and Descriptive Sections.
In the Objective section, there will be passages followed by a series of questions that will ask the student to:
- Read and understand the problems mentioned in the given passage and use your analytical skills when required. This may also incorporate arguments, and viewpoints discussed in the passages.
- Summarise the passage.
- Apply your legal knowledge to answer the questions from the passage.
- Identify the issues along with the legal issues mentioned in the passages and understand the law or judgement from which it has been extracted.
In the descriptive section, candidates might have to write essays and answer 2 questions from the list of questions given in the question paper. Each essay must be of a maximum of 800 words. These questions would test your:
- Capability to structure the answer and mention the arguments and perspective clearly and then conclude accordingly.
- Awareness of the factual, legal and philosophical matters mentioned in the given question.
CLAT PG 2023 Subject-Wise Important Topics
Below is the tabulated data that shows subject-wise essential topics that should be covered to get good scores in CLAT PG 2023 examination.
CLAT PG Subjects
Constitutional Law (Very Important)
Criminal Law (Very Important)
Elements of crime, Actus Reus and Mens Rea, group liability, abetment, criminal conspiracy, exceptions, attempt to commit wrongdoings, offences against public tranquillity, offences against the body: culpable homicide, murder, hurt, grievous hurt, wrongful confinement, and wrongful restraint criminal force, assault, abduction, rape, kidnapping, and unnatural offences.
Classification of torts, trespass, defamation, nuisance, culpability for misstatements, and recklessness.
The formation of a contract, its validity, discharge, and performance, remedies and quasi-contracts, the Indian contract act of 1872, and the Indian particular relief act of 1963
International Law (Very Important)
Origin, definition, and development of international law, subjects and sources of International law, the relationship between international and municipal law, state succession, state recognition, international rive and canals, international law of the air, sea, space, aerial navigation, outer space exploration and use, state jurisdiction, nationality statelessness, the basis of jurisdiction and jurisdiction immunity, extradition and asylum, diplomatic and consular relations, war and use of force in International law, the law of treaties, the law of contraband & blockade, the concept of war, enemy character and legal effects of the outbreak of war, settlement of international disputes, state responsibility, retorsion, reprisals, Armed interventions with the role of United Nations.
Intellectual Property Rights
Nature, meaning, scope, and definition of IPR, Patents Act 1970, Trademarks Act 1999, Copyright Act 1957, and IPR in International Perspective
Indian Legal System, legal method, the basic theory of law, analytical positivism, Kelson's pure theory of law, Austin’s theory of law, Hart’s definition of law, the definition of law by Salmond and Holland, various theoretical approaches to study jurisprudence and law – Sociological approach, Historical and anthropological approach, Economic Approach (Marx’s and Engel’s views about the law and state), Realist Approach (American and Scandinavian realism).
Other vital topics include environmental law, family law, and labour law.
CLAT PG Previous Year’s Question Distribution
The tabulated data below shows the breakdown of several questions asked from each CLAT LL.M subject in the CLAT PG examination of 2020, 2021 and 2022. This data will allow you to understand the importance of various subjects so that you can accordingly plan your examination preparation strategies to gain higher marks.
No. of Questions asked in 2020
No. of Questions asked in 2021
No. of Questions asked in 2022
Law of Contracts
Best Book for CLAT PG 2023 Preparation
Based on various CLAT PG topics, syllabus, and new exam patterns, the following books are recommended to effectively understand all the concepts and further help you in successfully cracking CLAT LL.M 2023 examination.
Name of the Book and Author/ Publication
Constitutional Law of India (Part – I & II) by Dr. Ashok K. Jain
Universal Guide to LLM Entrance Exam
CLAT LLM Entrance Exam 2023
The Constitution of India by P.M. Bakshi
Singhal's Solved Papers of LLM
CLAT LLM Entrance Exam 2023
S.S. HandBook For LL.M. Entrance Exam, based on the new syllabus
CLAT LLM Entrance Exam 2023
Indian contract Act by Dr. Paras Diwan
Law of Contract
Contract by R.K. Bangia
Law of Contract
Administrative Law by Dr. I.P. Massey
Law of Torts by R.K.Bangia
PSA Pillai’s Criminal Law by V L Vibhute
Ascent's Law Guide for LLM Entrance Exam
CLAT LLM Entrance Exam 2023
International Law by Dr. Rakesh Kumar Singh
Public International Law by Dr. Ashok K. Jain
The Indian Penal Code by Ratanlal and Dhirajlal
Indian Penal Code (IPC)
Family and Property Law by Poonam Pradhan
Family and Property Law
Company Law by Avatar Singh
Salmond on Jurisprudence by P.J. Fitzgerald
Also Read:How To Attempt Questions in CLAT PG 2023
Useful Preparation Tips for CLAT PG 2023
So far, we have covered all the important topics that candidates must study thoroughly to gain high scores in the CLAT PG 2023 examination. We also suggested some of the best books and study materials through this article so that candidates can easily get a good grip on various topics and subjects covered in CLAT PG 2023 examination. Additionally, we are sharing some valuable preparation tips and tricks with the CLAT PG aspirants that would further help them in achieving excellent scores in the examination.
- Read and study primary legal materials like court decisions in various fields of law, regulations, or statutes. Thoroughly study different case scenarios and their outcomes.
- Constitutional law is a very important topic so make sure to study it well as it carries half the marks of the complete question paper. Rest important topics for CLAT PG 2022 examination are also covered in this article in a table format so do read the article carefully.
- The question paper will all be MCQs based on different passages; the MCQs will be passage-based so make sure you practice a lot of comprehension passage-based MCQs and previous year's question papers to sharpen your reading and understanding capabilities. This will allow you to complete the paper on time.
- Read and renew your knowledge of all the important court judgments and landmark decisions of the court in various cases. Try to decipher various issues discussed in such court judgments.
- Read and renew your knowledge regarding crucial legislative and constitutional provisions, especially those that have been debated in recent court judgments; it would also be good if you are about historical case laws and amendments related to such provisions to have more knowledge and awareness of such provisions and issues related to them.
How to Attempt CLAT PG 2023 Question Paper: Tips and Tricks
It is very important for the CLAT 2023 aspirants to make a strategy for attempting the final exam. This strategy can be created while solving sample questions or attempting mock tests. Below provided are some of the important tips and tricks to attempt the CLAT 2023 PG question paper:
- First five minutes must be spent reading the instructions given on the question paper carefully.
- Whichever questions you find are easy must be attempted in the beginning and difficult questions must be attempted later on.
- Do not waste much time on one question.
- It is advisable not to overthink the questions and answer them according to your preparation and knowledge.
- Try to complete the question paper around 10-15 minutes before the scheduled time.
- Last 10-15 minutes must be dedicated to revisiting the questions that were left unanswered and trying to attempt them.