- All About MA International Relations
- MA International Relations Course Highlights
- MA International Relations Eligibility Criteria
- MA International Relations Application Process
- MA International Relations Admission Process
- MA International Relations Entrance Exams
- Who is Fit to Pursue MA International Relations
- Universities Offering MA International Relations
- Career Scopes for MA International Relations Students
- MA International Relations Future Scope
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Master of Arts (MA) in International Relations is a very popular course amongst the youth of India and its popularity has increased more so over the past couple of decades due to globalisation. Today, in this article we are going to discuss in detail MA International Relations and various aspects related to the programme like top universities offering MA International Relations, eligibility to apply for MA International Relations, application form, admission process, fee, and many more.
But, first of all, it becomes equally important for us to know about International Relations in detail before we speak about its aforementioned aspects.
All About MA International Relations
A full-time, two-year postgraduate degree programme in MA International Relations is available. The course covers contemporary international relations, security studies and strategies, regional studies, and the creation of public policies and their implementation, among other topics, as the name would imply.
Students who wish to pursue an MA in international relations must possess a Bachelor's degree, or any degree comparable, from an accredited college or university, with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 60%. Either merit- or entrance-based admission process is used for the course. In the entrance-based admissions process, the results of an entrance exam are taken into account for granting admission. The grade received on the undergraduate exams is taken into consideration for admission in the merit-based system. Linguistics of International Relations, Politics and its Philosophical Aspect, Economics, Religious Studies, and several other topics relevant to International Relations are some of the primary topics studied in the MA International Relations Syllabus.
The course assists learners in identifying and resolving challenges related to human rights, globalisation, economic growth, nuclear proliferation, etc. The government, private colleges, and deemed universities all offer the course. The qualifying requirements, selection process, syllabus, and tuition structure may vary amongst universities. In India, the typical fee for this course in colleges and universities ranges from INR 6,000 to 30,000. The fees vary depending on the college and are different for private and public institutions. The typical compensation range for professionals with an MA in International Relations is between INR 2,00,000 and INR 12,00,000. The pay is commensurate with the level of industry experience. The salary rises as one gains more expertise in the subject.
Typically, these individuals find work in fields including government administration, international relations, international law, international business management, and human rights advocacy. Such experts have a variety of job profiles at their disposal, including Patent Engineer, Assistant Manager, Analyst, Research Analyst, Business Head, etc. The candidates can pursue an MPhil or PhD in International Relations if they wish to continue their education. Additionally, they can carry out independent studies on a range of pertinent subjects and publish their research articles.
MA International Relations Course Highlights
Check out the highlights of MA International Relations from the table provided below:
A Bachelor's degree or any equivalent degree from a recognised college or university with a minimum of 60% marks is required.
Entrance-based or merit-based
Top entrance exams
JNUEE, TANCET, HPCET
Average annual fee
INR 6,000 – INR 3,00,000
Average salary offered
INR 2,00,000 – INR 15,00,000
Top job profiles
Patent Engineer, Analyst, Counsel, Assistant Manager, Associate Attorney, Business Head, Patent Writer, Research Analyst, Legal Associates, etc.
Pharmaceutical Industries, Law firms, Media Units, Publishing Houses, Voluntary Organizations, Software Industries, Research Organizations, etc.
MA International Relations Eligibility Criteria
The requirements for pursuing an MA in international relations may differ from one college to the next. The cutoff and required percentage of marks may also differ from one college to the next. The most common eligibility criteria for pursuing an MA in international relations are listed below.
- A candidate must have a bachelor's degree or an equivalent degree from an accredited college or university
- A candidate must have received a 60% or higher on their bachelor's degree examination (55% of marks for SC, ST, PH candidates)
MA International Relations Application Process
Those who wish to study for MA in International Relations from one of the top recognised Universities/Institutions can apply via both the online and offline modes. To apply online for MA International Relations admission, the candidates can simply visit the official site of the University, likewww.jnu.ac.infor studying MA International Relations at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU). In order to apply offline for MA International Relations, the candidates have to collect the offline application forms from the admission office of the Universities or Colleges they desire to pursue the course.
MA International Relations Admission Process
Admission to the course is either by entrance examination or by merit. The score obtained in an entrance test is considered for the purpose of granting admission in the entrance-based mechanism. The score obtained in the undergrad examinations is considered for admission in the merit-based mechanism. Different colleges use various methods of selection.
- Entrance-Based Selection
Step 1: Apply to the colleges that interest you.
Step 2: Sign up for the appropriate entrance exam.
Step 3: The results will be announced, and colleges will contact the qualified candidates for document verification.
Step 4: Go to the college and turn in all of the required paperwork.
- Merit-Based Selection
Step 1: Apply to the colleges that interest you.
Step 2: Colleges will announce cutoffs, and shortlisted candidates will be contacted for document verification.
Step 3: If you are eligible, go to the college and submit all of the required documents.
MA International Relations Entrance Exams
Many top universities, such as JNU and Jadavpur University, hold their own entrance exams for admission to MA programmes. To be selected for the course, students must score higher than the minimum qualifying score set by the respective college or university.
Some of the most popular entrance exams for admission to the course are listed below.
- JNUEE: Jawaharlal Nehru University, or JNU, administers the JNUEE. The exam is used to select students for various postgraduate and research programmes
- Pondicherry University Entrance Exam: To shortlist candidates for various postgraduate degree programmes, Pondicherry University administers its own online entrance exam
Important dates for these exams are listed in the table below.
Computer-based test (Online)
May 19, 2022 – June 18, 2022
To be notified
March 30, 2022 – April 23, 2022
May 14, 2022 (MBA and MCA)
HPCET (Will not be conducted this year)
July 10, 2022 (UG)
Pondicherry University Entrance Exam
Computer-based test (Online)
To be notified
To be notified
Who is Fit to Pursue MA International Relations
The MA International Relations programme demands certain qualities from the students to successfully complete their studies. Students with the following qualities are fit to pursue MA International Relations:
Students with a high affinity for learning about the political system of India and other countries
Who keeps a track of all the political happenings worldwide
Who has an interest in International Relations
Students who are voracious readers and have excellent communication skills
Students who are creative enough to interpret and come to a solution with the help of the data available to them
Universities Offering MA International Relations
Here is the list of those top Universities and Institutions in India that offers MA International Relations. The average course fee is also provided corresponding to the name of the Universities -
1. South Asian University, New Delhi - Comparatively a new University yet the MA International Relations programme offered by the University is quite renowned - not only in India but in all the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries. Students get an opportunity to interact with students from all the SAARC nations. The fact that Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) aided in the establishment of the University guarantees academic excellence.
Direct Link - http://www.sau.int/
Average Fee - USD 1080 per year + INR 50/- (USD 1200 per year + INR 50/- with boarding facility)
2. Christ University, Bangalore - Another excellent University to pursue MA International Relations from is Bangalore’s Christ University. Graduates with a 50% aggregate at the Bachelor’s level in any stream are eligible to apply for Christ University MA International Programme. Final selection is done on the basis of entrance exam score, interview round score and past academic records.
Direct Link - https://www.christuniversity.in/
Average Fee - N/A
3. The University of Delhi - In Delhi University, students are offered MA Politics in which there is a specialization in International Relations. The core part of the MA Politics in International Relations. DU is one of the best Universities in India to pursue MA International Relations from.
Direct Link - https://www.collegedekho.com/university/delhi-university
Average Fee - N/A
4. Jadavpur University, Kolkata - In the entire eastern Indian region, only the Jadavpur University has a Department of International Relations. Students can apply for admission to MA Political Science and International Science offered at Jadavpur University and only 70 most eligible students are accepted on board. Admissions are done on the basis of the cumulative scores of the candidates in the written test conducted by the University.
Average Fee - N/A
5. Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi - Graduates with a 50% aggregate in any discipline can also apply for MA International Relations admission at JNU. There are two Masters programmes offered at JNU which focus on International Relations - MA Politics (specialization in International Studies) and MA in International Relations and Area Studies. Bachelors degree students from a 10+2+3 pattern of study from a recognised University are eligible to apply for MA International Relations at JNU.
Average Fee - INR 400/- (rounded off)
Career Scopes for MA International Relations Students
The biggest gain of having a master's degree in International Relations is that it not only opens up job opportunities in India but abroad as well. The MA in international relations programme provides a variety of job and career opportunities.
- Fresh graduates of the course can easily expect to earn between INR 2 lakh and INR 20 lakh per year
- The pay is proportional to the amount of experience gained in the field
The following are some of the major job profiles available to postgraduates with an MA in international relations:
Professor in reputed Universities/Institutions after clearing UGC NET
International Relations specialist in organizations like the World Economic Forum, World Health Organization (WHO), United Nations (UN) Agencies etc
Lobbyist - a person representing the organization he/she is working for in front of Government officials
Indian Foreign Services (IFS) after clearing UPSC exam
Other than the ones mentioned above, an MA International Relations student can join an NGO or Non-Profit Organisation as a social activist to help bring about international peace and coordination. A career like this often ends up being associated with global non-profit agencies like the Red Cross, World Vision etc.
MA International Relations Future Scope
Master of Arts, MA (International Relations) has grown in popularity among students in recent years. This course specialisation is becoming increasingly popular among students. Based on current trends, the scope of this course appears to be expanding. Postgraduates who complete the course may work in a variety of manufacturing industries such as pharmaceutical industries, law firms, media units, publishing houses, voluntary organisations, software industries, research organisations, and so on. The course is associated with a variety of job profiles. Successful course graduates may find work as a patent engineer, analyst, counsel, assistant manager, associate attorney, business head, patent writer, research analyst, legal associates, and other positions.
These individuals can also establish their own law firms. They may also work in education as college or university teachers and lecturers.
The course's scope is not limited to employment and jobs. Students can pursue further education in the relevant field in addition to looking for jobs. They can pursue a PhD in International Relations.
The students opting for Top Universities for MA International Relations for the academic session of 2022-2023 can refer to this article and keep a check on this page for further updates and date releases. If you have any questions, visit our QnA section and feel free to write your queries to us.
For further news/articles and updates related to MA International Relations Admissions 2022, stay tuned to CollegeDekho!