- Mumbai University PhD Admissions 2023 Latest Updates
- Mumbai University PhD Important Dates 2023
- Mumbai University PhD Eligibility Criteria
- How to Apply Mumbai University PhD 2023?
- Mumbai University PhD Admission Criteria
- Mumbai University PhD Selection Process
- Mumbai University PhD Entrance Examination Application Fees 2023
- Mumbai University PET Exam Pattern
- MU PET Cut Off Marks 2023 (Expected)
- Mumbai University PhD Course Details
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Mumbai University only provides a full-time PhD programme in offline mode. The university accepts approximately 28 students for a three-year programme. Admission to the PhD programme is based on merit scores in the PhD Entrance Test (PET), which is followed by an interview process. The varsity will soon announce the date for PET 2023, and the admit card will be available only on the official website of Mumbai University.
The University of Mumbai will accept online applications (only) from qualified candidates for the PhD Entrance Test, i.e. PET 2023, for admission to the Faculties of Arts, Management, Fine Arts, Commerce, and Technology. Interested and qualified candidates may apply beginning in January 2023. Candidates can find all important information about Mumbai University PhD admission 2023 in this article. Mumbai University conducts PET Aptitude test for the PhD programme in various disciplines. Candidates who are interested in the course must submit the online application form and appear for the examination. The PET test for the PhD course at Mumbai University is usually conducted in the month of December every year. Refer to the following article to know the details of Mumbai University PhD admissions 2023.
Mumbai University PhD Admissions 2023 Latest Updates
- PhD Entrance Test Registration Process Starts in 2023 to be notified
Mumbai University PhD Important Dates 2023
The application form for the PET Aptitude test is likely to be released on the dates given in the following table:
Release of Online Application form
|To be notified|
Application Deadline Date
|To be notified|
Admit Card Download
|To be notified|
Online Entrance Test
|To be notified|
|Interview Conduction||To be notified|
|Merit List Releases||To be notified|
Mumbai University PhD Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria to apply for the PhD course at Mumbai University:
Must hold a Master’s degree in the faculties of Arts or Science or Commerce or Technology or Medicine or Ayurveda or law or fine Arts or Unani medicine from a recognised university OR Must have a Master’s degree by research from a recognised university OR Must have passed M.Phil Degree from a recognised university
Must have a minimum of 55% for general category or 50% marks for reserved category
Candidates with full-time 2 years experience in teaching in degree college or five years experience in junior college are also eligible to apply
Candidates working in National Laboratories/ Institutes/ Government/ Private Organisation, nominated/sponsored by the respective employer are also eligible to apply. However, they must clear the aptitude test
Also Read: FYJC Maharashtra 11th Admission Process 2022
How to Apply Mumbai University PhD 2023?
- Application fees are INR 500 for students in the reserved category and INR 1000 for general category students
- Candidates will choose one of the following approaches to pay the necessary fees: Demand Draft made payable to Mumbai in the name of the "Finance & Accounts Officer of the University of Mumbai." OR by cash in the University of Mumbai's Fort, Room No. 13, Ground Floor, Mumbai, 400030
- The correctly completed form and the included DD or receipt of such charge should be sent to Thesis Section, Room No. 129, 1st Floor, University of Mumbai, Fort, Mumbai-400032
- Candidates who want to avoid the preceding procedures and submit straight through the process described below should do so
Mumbai University PhD Admission Criteria
Candidates who have received a valid PhD Entrance Test score are admitted to the PhD programme (PET). There will be a Personal Interview in the University Center.
- Direct applications are submitted to the Mumbai University-affiliated Research Centre for the PhD programme
- Candidates must submit an application fee of INR 100 in the form of a Demand Draft or cash to the relevant authorised Research Centre of the University of Mumbai within 15 working days after the release of the PhD Entrance Test (PET) results
Mumbai University PhD Selection Process
Admission for the PhD course at Mumbai University is based on the performance in the PET entrance test conducted by the university. Certain courses accept NET/ SET/GATE scorecard. Candidates can refer to the following procedure for PhD admissions at Mumbai University:
Fill the Application Form: The online application form for PET entrance examination is released in the month of November. Candidates must fill the online application form through the official website of the university. The application is not accepted in offline mode
Pay the Application Fees: Once the application form is filled, the candidate must pay the application fees for the test to complete the application procedure. The Application fee is non- refundable
Download the Hall Ticket: Candidates can download the Hall Ticket for PET examination through the official website of the university. The admit card is released by the mid- December
Take the Entrance Test: PET entrance test for the PhD course is conducted in the last week of December. Candidates who have a valid admit card must appear for the test on the scheduled date and venue
Wait for Result: The merit list of candidates is released on the official website of the university after the evaluation of the test. Candidates must wait for the result for further admission procedure
Fill the Admission Form: Students who qualify the PET entrance test must fill the admission form with the concerned department at the university. Candidates must collect the admission form and submit it to the department office. The date for submission of admission form may vary department- wise. The fee for admission is INR 100/-
Interview for admission in for PhD: Candidates who qualify PET must apply to the Research Centre from where they want to pursue PhD. The Candidates are invited for the interview process after analysing the application. The interview is conducted at the respective research center. The purpose of conducting the interview is to judge the candidate’s basic knowledge about the subject and proposed research as well as suitability and benefits of the research work at the institute
Mumbai University PhD Entrance Examination Application Fees 2023
Following is the application fee for the PhD entrance examination:
Mumbai University PET Exam Pattern
PET test is conducted for admission in M.Phil and PhD course at Mumbai University. The test is followed by an interview round which is conducted at the research centre. The following table shows the highlights of the PET:
Multiple - Choice
Number of Questions
Number of Tests
Paper I and Paper II
The Pre - Entrance Test (PET) conducted at the university comprises two papers- Paper I and Paper II. Paper I covers Research Methodology, Research Aptitude, Logical Reasoning, General Knowledge, Comprehension, and Communication.
Paper-II is subject-specific. This section is based on the subject syllabus of the Master’s course offered at MU. Both the papers cover 50% of the test. Each of the paper covers 50 questions. The qualifying marks are 50 % of the aggregate of both the papers.
- PET is waived for candidates who qualify for the GATE, SET, NET, JRF, and holders of teaching fellowships from premier organisations like the CSIR, UGC, ICAR, ICMR, and DBT
- Additionally, M Phil candidates from accredited universities are prohibited from taking the exam
MU PET Cut Off Marks 2023 (Expected)
To pass the MU PET 2023, candidates must obtain the total passing score. For reserved and open categories, the combined passing marks are different. For information on the minimal passing score, see the table below.
Mumbai University PhD Course Details
The faculties of arts, business, science, law, and technology of Mumbai University all offer PhD degrees. Three years would pass during the course's duration. The minimum requirement for admission to a PhD programme at Mumbai University is a Master's degree from an accredited institution with a minimum of 55 % in aggregate.
These Universities Offer this Degree:
Candidates who have passed the GATE, SET, NET, or (JRF) exams are exempt from taking the PET. Additionally disqualified are candidates who currently hold a CSIR/UGC/ICAR/ICMR and DBT Instructor Fellowship
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Commerce and Management
- Faculty of Interdisciplinary Studies
The PhD course load entails 18 credits spread out over a minimum of six months.
- Each student has one semester to finish their studies after being accepted into the PhD programme. The course work will be included to the pre-PhD training
- The coursework for the PhD will be accessible for credit. A total of 18 credits will be awarded for the course. 18 credits must be finished by the student in a maximum of three semesters
- There would be six credits assigned to each course
- The course work will be overseen by the concerned guide(s)
- There won't be any uniform classroom instruction, but the involved teacher(s) who are engaged in directing may get a proportionate break from time to time, depending on what the relevant authority decides
Methods for Course Analysis and Evaluation
Continuous review of all theory courses for PhD course work will be the responsibility of the research center's interested and qualified faculty. External evaluations will be given a 60% weighting, with internal evaluations receiving a 40% weighting. It could consist of a lecture, case studies, homework, or in-class tests.
The learner's participation in gathering resources, comprehension of the seminar work's subject, and ability to respond to questions will be weighted at 30% each, the seminar's presentation and ability to respond to questions will be weighted at 50%, and the student's punctuality, zeal, and aptitude in preparing the seminar will be weighted at 30% each. This will be evaluated by the interested instructor or teachers.
The students opting for Mumbai University PhD Admissions for the academic session of 2023 can refer to this article and keep a check on this page for further updates and date releases. If you have any questions, visit our QnA section and feel free to write your queries to us.
For further news/articles and updates related to Mumbai University PhD Admissions 2023, stay tuned to CollegeDekho!