- Why You Should Have a Ph.D?
- PhD Admission 2022: Important Dates
- PhD Admissions in Top Colleges / Top Universities 2022: Application …
- Eligibility Criteria for Ph.D Admission 2022
- Ph.D Entrance Exams for Ph.D Admission 2022
- Ph.D Entrance Exam Schedule 2022
- Ph.D Admission Process 2022
- How to Apply for Ph.D Course in India
- Structure of a Ph.D Course
- List of Popular Universities in India offering Ph.D Admissions 2022
- PhD Admission 2022: Syllabus
- Disciplines for Ph.D Admissions 2022
- PhD Admission 2022: Preparation Tips
- Job Prospects after Ph.D
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Every year, numerous students apply for Ph.D admissions in India. Ph.D (Doctor of Philosophy) is a doctorate degree, which is granted by many universities in India and abroad. Over the past few years, the scope of pursuing Ph.D courses in India has increased manifolds. Ph.D is a distinctive research-based programme that prepares aspirants to become competent researchers to carry out research in any of the specialities like Computer Science, Cosmetology, Commerce, Economics, Law, Linguistics, Management, etc. It is a programme that involves substantial research work and presentation of the thesis, which is to be accredited by fellow academicians. One can pursue a Ph.D course in a discipline or stream that he/she has studied in his/her post-graduation.
Ph.D requires a great level of commitment and an eye for detail. Candidates interested in Ph.D admissions in India are required to give presentations on their research work, submit their progress reports, and defend their thesis in an open defence viva-voce.
To have complete knowledge about the Ph.D admission process 2022, aspirants should be aware of the Ph.D 2022 application process, Ph.D 2022 eligibility criteria, admission requirements to pursue Ph.D course and Ph.D 2022 entrance exams in India. Although multiple doctoral entrance exams are conducted in India, the admission process of Ph.D may vary university-wise.
In this article, check all the details about Ph.D admission process 2022, Ph.D 2022 entrance exams, Ph.D eligibility criteria 2022, application process, preparation tips, job prospects, list of colleges /universities offering a Ph.D and more.
Why You Should Have a Ph.D?
A Ph.D is considered one of the most valued degrees not just in India but abroad as well. When it comes to your career graph, a PhD degree can be a good qualification for the aspirants. There are many colleges or universities that offer a Ph.D course for aspiring students, however, the question remains – Why should one have a Ph.D degree or why should a person opt for a Ph.D course. The answer to this question comes along with the benefits that are associated with a Ph.D degree.
A PhD degree offers a wide range of employment opportunities. One of the most sought-after jobs for a Ph.D degree holder is of a lecturer or a professor in a university or a researcher in most fields. Along with this, a Ph.D degree holder can get a job in publishing houses, educational institutes, law firms, consultancy, etc.
Candidates will have in-depth knowledge and develop mastery over the subjects they have chosen for specialisation, which will be extremely useful for them in their careers.
Candidates will get an insight into the theoretical aspect of the course and will get practical exposure as well.
It is a respectable and reputed qualification.
PhD Admission 2022: Important Dates
Here are the important dates of PhD admission 2022 -
University/ Institution Name
|February 8, 2022 - April 30, 2022|
January 11 - January 31, 2022
January 15, 2022 - April 30, 2022
|December 2022 (For next batch)|
May - June 2022 (Tentative)
|May 5, 2022 - June 7, 2022 (for July session)|
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), Thiruvananthapuram for Sponsored PhD
|May 18 - June 7, 2022 (for July session)|
For next session to be notified
May 13 - May 25, 2022
|Throughout the year via email|
June 20, 2022 (last date)
April 7, 2022 - June 15, 2022
To be Notified
PhD Admissions in Top Colleges / Top Universities 2022: Application Form Dates
The table below includes the top PhD colleges and their application dates for PhD Admission 2022:
June 1, 2022 - June 30, 2022
March 17, 2022 - May 20, 2022
Translational Health Science and Technology Institute - (THSTI)
June 20, 2022 (tentative)
December 5, 2021 – January 14, 2022
June 20, 2022
Central University of Karnataka
May 20 - June 20, 2022
June 10, 2022 (tentative)
June 10, 2022 (Online form along with research proposal)
May 12, 2022 - July 3, 2022
May 2, 2022 - June 10, 2022
April 7 - June 15, 2022
April 27, 2022 - July 5, 2022
July 29, 2022
April 15 - June 15, 2022
April 30, 2022 (last date)
July 29, 2022
March 28 - April 15, 2022
May 10, 2022 - May 31, 2022 (Tentative for Integrated Programme)
March 23, 2022 - Arpil 12, 2022
To be Notified
March 14- April 11, 2022
May 18, 2022 - June 30, 2022
February 28, 2022
Eligibility Criteria for Ph.D Admission 2022
Students who intend to pursue Ph.D in India must meet the required eligibility criteria. Listed below are the detailed eligibility criteria for pursuing a Ph.D from India:
Masters degree holders are eligible for admission into the doctoral programme. Although, for some subjects, having a Masters in Philosophy (M.Phil) is needed for a PhD It must be noted by the candidates that in some Indian universities, for Masters programme, a specific percentage (or equivalent CGPA) is required by the candidates to be eligible to apply for a PhD
For admission into some reputable universities, a candidate must qualify the all India examination, like National Eligibility Test for Lectureship (NET) conducted by NTA. Final year students appearing in the qualifying degree examination can also apply although they must submit the attested copies of their qualifying degree certificates.
Admission is offered on the basis of interview. The interview may be supplemented with a written exam if needed.
Candidates should have a valid Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) score to pursue Ph.D in the field of engineering and technology. Also, candidates should have completed his/her degree in M.Tech - Masters of Technology / M.E - Masters in Engineering in any engineering branch in order to apply for Ph.D in engineering.
To be eligible for a Ph.D, there are many other Ph.D entrance tests in India that one can take.
Ph.D Entrance Exams for Ph.D Admission 2022
The Ph.D entrance exams conducted in India may vary university-wise. PhD admission in India is based on enrollment to several universities. Universities accept the results of either a national-level or a university-level entrance examination. The following section summarises the PhD Admission 2022 entrance exam schedule for the accepted PhD entrance exams. Mentioned below are the names of the top Ph.D entrance examinations in India that candidates are required to take in order to pursue their Ph.D from some colleges/universities in India:
Symbiosis Institute Ph.D Entrance Exam
BITS Pilani Ph.D Entrance Examination
Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) / Departmental Admission Test
|JNUEE / JNU Direct Ph.D|
UGC NET Exam
AIIMS Ph..D Entrance Exam
Osmania University Ph.D Entrance Exam
Vellore Institute of Technology Research Entrance Examination - VIITREE
GITAM University Vishakhapatnam Ph.D Admissions Test
Kurukshetra University Ph.D Entrance Exam
PhD Entrance Exam of NMIMS University Mumbai
Jamia Millia Islamia New Delhi – Ph.D Admission Test
Jamia Hamdard New Delhi Ph.D Admission Test
NDRI Ph.D Entrance Exam
BARC Ph.D Admission Test
Indian Veterinary Research Institute Bareilly Ph.D Admission Test
ISM Dhanbad Ph.D Admission Test
Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University Lucknow-Ph.D Admissions Test
University of Hyderabad Ph.D Entrance Exam
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Graduate School Admission Entrance Test
NIMHANS PG/PG Diploma/Superspeciality Ph.D online entrance test
DBT JRF Biotech Entrance Test
GTU Ph.DEntrance Exam
Ph.D Admissions 2022: PhD Exams Held at Institutional Level
Ph.D entrance exams held at the institutional level are those exams the institutions undertake to provide admission to PhD degree aspirants.
Universities accept either national-level or university-level admission examination results. Following is a summary of the PhD Admission 2022 entrance exam program for the recognized PhD entrance exams.
Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) / Departmental Admission Test
- PhD applicants are not required to apply online through CUSAT CAT.
- They rather need to apply for Ph.D at Cochin University of Science and Technology through DAT - Departmental Admission Test.
- PhD application forms can be obtained from the particular departments, the students are interested to join.
- Completed applications must be submitted to the departments involved within the time frame specified in the notification.
- An aspirant who wants to pursue a programme of study and research leading to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) must apply for admission as a Full-Time or Part-Time research student in an Academic Unit of study or in an institution recognised by the University for this purpose, under an appropriate Faculty.
- Part-Time registration in the case of recognised institutions shall be provided only to permanent workers of the respective institutions.
- Students for admission to the Ph.D Programme must hold a Master's degree or a professional degree recognised as equivalent to a Master's degree by the applicable statutory regulatory body, with at least a 55 percent aggregate mark.
- The admission criteria declared by the University shall be based on the guidelines/norms provided by the UGC and other statutory organisations concerned, as well as any other rules created by the University from time to time.
- The Departmental Admission Test (DAT) is usually held annually, generally before the end of August.
- The University's relevant Department will administer the DAT for the Ph.D Programme (including admission to Recognized Institutions).
- The Departmental Admission Test (DAT) will consist of two parts: a written exam and an interview.
- In the event of candidates conducting interdisciplinary/ multidisciplinary research, the written exam may be on a subject offered by the academic unit where the candidate wishes to be registered.
- The Entrance Test syllabus will include subject/subjects particular to the Academic Unit of Research in question.
- The National Law University, Delhi (NLU D) organises AILET 2022 every year to give admission to BA LLB (Hons), Master of Law (LLM), and Ph.D programmes.
- The entrance exam will be organised in offline mode.
- The AILET law entrance exam for PhD consists of two sections, with a total of 100 marks.
- The updated AILET 2022 syllabus for the PhD programme includes one Multiple Choice Question section and the other is descriptive form.
BITS Pilani Ph.D Entrance Examination
- Full-time and part-time Ph.D programmes are available at BITS Pilani.
- Under the PhD Aspirants Scheme, industries and R&D organisations partnering with BITS can fund applicants to work towards a PhD.
- After passing the Ph.D qualifying examination, a candidate is typically admitted to the Ph.D programme.
- A few candidates may be admitted as provisional candidates to the programme before passing the Ph.D qualifying exams. This rule applies to all full-time research scholars on campus.
- The Academic Regulations of the Institute govern the general operation of the Ph.D programme.
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), Thiruvananthapuram PhD
The Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology aims to conduct basic and applied research to address the national R&D needs of science and technology in general, and the Indian Space Programme in particular.
The Institute invites highly motivated applicants to apply for admission to the Ph.D Program, which will begin in July 2022, in disciplines such as Aerospace Engineering, Avionics, Chemistry, Earth and Space Sciences, Humanities, Mathematics, and Physics.
- Candidates must be Indian citizens.
- Exam-takers must be under the age of 35 on June 7, 2022.
- Age relaxation is permitted under government regulations.
- Applicants who are about to finish their qualifying degrees and receive their degrees before October 31, 2022, are also eligible to apply for Ph.D admission.
- Admission to the Ph.D programme will be decided on an online screening test followed by an interview for candidates having an M.E /M.Tech. as their highest qualifying degree.
- The interview will take place by video conference.
- Candidates with valid UGC-CSIR-NET-JRF/Lectureship/NBHM/JEST post-ME/ M.Tech will be summoned for an interview through video conference.
- Applicants having a Master's Degree in Science as their highest qualifying degree must have a Qualifying Master's degree with a minimum of 65 percent marks (for General applicants) or 7.00 CGPA on a scale of 10 or equivalent.
- They must have passed a national level eligibility test in the relevant fields, such as a valid UGC-CSIR-NET JRF/Lectureship or NBHM/JEST/GATE and State Government Science and Technology Scheme.
- Entry to the PhD programme will depend on an online standard test accompanied by a personal interview for candidates with a B.E - Bachelor of Engineering /B.Tech - Bachelor of Technology as their highest qualifying degree.
- The interview will take place by video conference.
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- The TIFR University offers Ph.D and M.Sc-Ph.D programmes in the natural sciences, including physics, chemistry, and biology, as well as mathematics and computer science.
- The PhD programme typically lasts five years, the integrated M.Sc.-PhD programme six years, and the M.Sc. programme two years.
- Students are admitted to TIFR via a rigorous screening procedure that includes a written test and an interview.
- Selection process is based entirely on merit. Only the top 1.5% of applicants are accepted.
- It is a perfect site for young scientists to begin their careers, thanks to its distinguished staff, world-class facilities, and vibrant research environment.
International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad PhD
- Applicants with exceptional academic performance and R&D experience are encouraged to apply through a Standing Committee.
- Applicants must email their curriculum vitae - CV - to pgadmissions(at)iiit.ac.in. This way of admission is only available for MS by Research and PhD programmes. Applications can be submitted at any time of the year.
- Candidates must submit an application that includes a resume and a statement of purpose.
- Email applications may be sent at any time of year.
- If the committee deems it essential, applicants may be invited for an interview.
- Students can pursue Ph.D in Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Civil Engineering, Bioinformatics, Computational Natural Sciences, IT in Building Science, Computational Linguistics, Spatial Informatics, Cognitive Science, Human Sciences.
Symbiosis International PhD Entrance Test (PET) 2022 For PhD Programme
Research programmes leading to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree are available at Symbiosis International (Deemed University), in the following streams - Ph.D (Law), Ph.D (Management), Ph.D (Computer Studies), Ph.D (Health Sciences), Ph.D (Media and Communication), Ph.D (Humanities and Social Sciences), Ph.D (Engineering).
- SIU provides both full-time and part-time programmes.
- A PG degree with a minimum of 55% is required.
- Given the social distance guidelines imposed by the COVID -19 pandemic and to provide eager students with the option to begin their Ph.D programme as soon as possible, Symbiosis International Deemed University - SIU will hold the Ph.D Entrance Test (PET 2022) online this year.
- Candidates with NET/ SET/ SLET/ GATE/ M.Phil or UGC/ CSIR/ ICMR DBT/ RGNF/ MANF/ DST Inspire & NBHM Scholars are excluded from the entrance exam for the duration of the certificate/validity award's period.
- However, such candidates are required to attend a personal interview.
- CA/CS with 55 percent marks are allowed, as are PG Diplomas from IIMs and XLRI.
- Those with PG diplomas from other universities must produce proof of equivalency from statutory organisations such as AICTE/ UGC/ BCI. AICTE approval/AIU equivalence is not sufficient for eligibility.
- Extensive experience does not provide any extra advantage for exemption from entrance exams.
- For general questions about the Ph.D programme, students can call 020-6193-6236, 020-6193-6237, 7972282128, or 8668988218. ( during working hours).
- The following admissions season has commenced in April/ May 2022.
Ph.D Exams Held at National Level
These exams are held on a national level for the PhD Courses. Here are examples of some national-level PhD courses -
CSIR UGC NET Exam
- The CSIR NET test will be held three times in 2022.
- National Testing Agency (NTA) annually administers the CSIR UGC NET exam. Candidates' eligibility for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) or Lectureship (LS) posts in science and technology will be determined by this exam.
- Candidates who pass the CSIR UGC NET test will be allowed to seek JRF and lecturer posts in different streams.
- The fields include Life Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Earth, Oceanic, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences, etc., in Indian institutions and colleges.
- JAM 2022 is being organised by IIT Roorkee.
- Students applying for admission to the academic programmes covered by JAM 2022 for the academic year 2022-23 must take JAM 2022 exam.
- For all Test Papers, the JAM 2022 Examination will be administered Online only as a Computer Based Test (CBT).
- The paper will be divided into three parts: A, B, and C. All sections are required.
- Candidates who pass JAM 2022 may apply for admission to IITs for the academic year 2022-23.
- The JAM scores may be used to shortlist candidates for an interview for the final selection in IISc Bangalore's integrated Ph.D programmes in Physical Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, and Biological Sciences.
- JAM 2022 is open to all Indian and foreign nationals.
- There is no upper age limit.
- Applicants should be aware that simply appearing in JAM 2022 or being on the merit list of any Test Paper does not guarantee or offer automatic admission.
JNUEE / JNU Direct PhD
- The National Testing Agency accepts JNUEE applications for admission to various courses at Jawaharlal Nehru University.
- Master's Degree holders with sufficient research experience and publications, as well as M.Phil. Degree holders are eligible for admission if they have obtained a minimum of 55% of the marks or comparable grades defined by UGC guidelines.
- A national-scale entrance examination is followed by an interview to determine admission.
- The Admission Centre can recommend courses to candidates admitted to the Ph.D programme.
- To be qualified to proceed in the programme and publish the dissertation/thesis, Ph.D scholars must acquire a minimum of 55% of the marks or equivalent grade on the UGC 7-point scale in the course work.
- Chancellor Dr. G. Viswanathan established the Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) in 1984 as Vellore Engineering College.
- Ph.D degrees offered through VITREE include PhD in Engineering, Integrated PhD in Engineering / Technology, PhD in Sciences, PhD in Languages, PhD in Management, PhD in Law, PhD in Fashion Technology, PhD in Design & Planning.
- The minimum term of study and research will be 30 months for full-time research students and 36 months for part-time scholars from the date of registration for the PhD programme to the date of thesis submission.
- The minimum duration of study and research will be four years, beginning with registration for the Integrated PhD programme and ending with thesis submission.
- Selection is based on VITREE 2022 score, PG Degree marks, research proposal, and interview. Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria must take the VITREE 2022 computer-based test (CBT) for 2 hours on the 4th and 5th of June 2022 at their test site of choice.
- The question paper for the PhD programme will consist of 100 MCQs (70 technical questions, 15 English communication skills questions, and 15 statistics and probability questions).
- The chosen candidates will be required to attend a personal interview via online mode on June 18 and 19, 2022. The selected candidates will be notified by July 1, 2022.
- Selection for the Integrated Ph.D is based on performance in the VITREE 2022 score, UG Degree marks, Research proposal, and Personal Interview conducted online.
Also Read: Top M.Sc + PhD Colleges in India
Ph.D Entrance Exam Schedule 2022
As PhD courses are given in several PhD Specialisations such as Education, Engineering, Mathematics, Engineering, Planning, and so on, different entrance exams are held for PhD Admission 2022. Exam dates for the top PhD entrance exams in India are listed in the table below. We strongly recommend the students to consult the official website of the particular university they are interested in joining.
October 14, 2021 (Closed)
February 13, 2022
May 20, 2022
June 4 and 5, 2022
CUSAT Departmental Admission Test - DAT
February 8 - April 30, 2022
August 2022 (Tentative)
CSIR UGC NET Exam
To be Notified
To be Notified
UGC NET Exam
April 30 – May 30, 2022
June 2022 (Tentative)
|Chandigarh University PhD||April 7 - June 15, 2022|
July 3, 2022
|GATE||To be Notified|
To be Notified
|Symbiosis PET||April 22 - May 31, 2022|
June 25, 2022
|Central University of Karnataka PhD Online Test||May 20 - June 20, 2022|
June 27 - June 29, 2022 (Online test and interview)
Ph.D Admission Process 2022
The need for a Ph.D degree in India has increased in recent times because of the increasing career prospects and the growing requirement for higher specialisation. Applicants who wish to do a Ph.D must take the following points into consideration with respect to the admission procedure of Ph.D. Admission to PhD programmes is made based on merit and/or admission exams.
Admission into the colleges/ universities in India is available for the candidates in Full time and Part time programmes in various disciplines of engineering, arts, management, commerce, science, humanities, finance, law, medicine and IT.
Candidates can choose to pursue their Ph.D either full time or part time. The minimum duration of Ph.D is 2 years wherein the course follows the semester system including theory and practical versions on the specialisation on a respective course.
For Ph.D admission, Masters degree is required in India. Some universities in India offer seats to the students having a minimum of 55% or equivalent.
In some cases, doing a Master in Philosophy (M.Phil) is a prerequisite to begin a Ph.D course offered by some universities.
The admissions in a Ph.D programme is done through an entrance test at the university level or national level.
The admission procedure for both processes is described below.
Merit-Based PhD Admissions
- PhD admission to prestigious institutions is based on merit.
- The institute may request the candidates submit an abstract of their research proposal for this purpose.
- This is done primarily to scrutinise the candidates, after which the selected candidates are advised of the next steps.
- Applicants must also meet the fundamental eligibility standards of 50-55 per cent (approx) in the PG course.
Entrance Based PhD Admissions
- To get admission to PhD programmes, national and institutional entrance exams are held.
- For admission to PhD programmes, some universities even conduct personal interviews in addition to entrance tests.
How to Apply for Ph.D Course in India
In order to apply for a Ph.D in India, there are several universities where students will find varied courses in research. For each university in India, there is a specific number of seats available. Some of these universities shortlist candidates on the basis of entrance examinations, interviews and research proposals.
In India, the Ph.D application process is available in both online and offline modes.
For applying to a university, applicants are required to procure or download the application form and prospectus for their respective courses by either writing to the university or by downloading the same online from the official website of the university.
For some universities, the Ph.D application forms need to be forwarded to the university official address prior to the last date with the required documents.
Considering the fee structure for a Ph.D course, the average or the tentative course fee is about INR 20,000 to 30,000 per year (varies from course to course and university to university).
Structure of a Ph.D Course
In India, Ph.D is a programme that has been designed for students who have already done their undergraduate and postgraduate training. As far as the overall structure of Ph.D is concerned, it is an advanced research qualification that consists of coursework and research work. The particular requirements to earn a Ph.D degree differs considerably according to the country, institution, and time period, from entry-level research degrees to higher doctorates.
The structure of a Ph.D programme involves pedagogy, coursework, qualifying exam, preparation of research proposal and thesis work. In each stage of the programme, the performance of the student is evaluated throughout all the semesters.
List of Popular Universities in India offering Ph.D Admissions 2022
For Ph.D admissions, the majority of the universities/institutes conduct their own entrance examinations and also consider the GATE/ NET scores. Here is a list of some of the popular universities in India that offer Ph.D courses to the candidates:
Institute of Microbial Technology
Jamia Millia Islamia
PhD Admission 2022: Syllabus
The PhD Admission syllabus is determined by the stream chosen. The contents for the science stream are comparable to the CSIR NET Syllabus, while the topics for the other courses are similar to the UGC NET Syllabus. The syllabus for PhD studies varies depending on the specialisation in the field chosen by the candidates.
PhD programmes include both traditional academic classroom sessions and research projects. Admission to PhD programmes is heavily reliant on the research effort. A PhD course consists of course study, a qualifying examination, research proposal/abstract preparation, and thesis work.
Disciplines for Ph.D Admissions 2022
The table below lists the names of various major disciplines that are offered in India for the candidates to pursue their PhD
Total Quality Management
Labour and Social Welfare
Intellectual Property Rights
PhD Admission 2022: Preparation Tips
Here are some preparation tips for PhD entrance exam preparation for PhD admission 2022 -
- Students should gather past year PhD entrance exam question papers from reliable sources and study accordingly.
- They must refer to the PhD entrance exam syllabus as per their specialisation.
- The entrance exam format varies depending on the conducting body; therefore, the aspirants must be informed of the structure to plan accordingly.
- They must cover all exam subjects at least one month before the exam.
- To relieve exam stress, the students must take advantage of the various mock tests available.
- Keeping up with current events is vital because they are essential for grades.
- Visiting the exam centre a day before the exam to avoid last-minute confusion about where the exam centre location is advised.
- Before the exam, students must get a good night's sleep.
Job Prospects after Ph.D
In today’s world, there is immense scope for the candidates after they have completed their PhD. Gone are those days when the scope of Ph.D was limited to academia. After completing a Ph.D, one should track his/her potential and apply to jobs based on his/her exact skills and expertise.
Following are a few career options that candidates can choose after pursuing a Ph.D:
Lecturer & Professor
Author & Writer
Editor & Critic
Human Services Worker
Industrial R&D Lab professionals
Senior Research Scientist
Stay tuned to CollegeDekho for more such updates and information. Aspirants can also contact our QnA Zone to get their queries resolved by our experts or call us on our toll free helpline - 1800 572 9877.
CollegeDekho wishes good luck to all the candidates seeking Ph.D admissions in India!