- Articles byStream
Top Ten Science Colleges in Mumbai
The pursuit of science has been an age old trend amongst students. From the most traditional choice career of becoming a Doctor or an Engineer, scope of science has increased manifold. Today Science engulfes within a huge range of specialisations & super specialisations with a range of colleges offering these courses. This feature identifies some of the best science college in one of the countries premier city-Mumbai!!
The 21th century is the age of Science and there are multiple applications of science in every walk of life. So, Science, as a subject, is becoming popular among the students of this generation.The scope of the science with multiple career options have widened enough. Science is broadly divided into two categories - Biology and Mathematics.
The city of dreams – “Mumbai”, has quite a number of Science colleges of repute & Collegedekho.com in this feature puts together the list of Top Ten Science Colleges located in the different parts of the city.
1. St. Xavier’s College Autonomous Mumbai: Established in 1869, St. Xavier’s College is a Roman Catholic college in a Jesuit tradition. The name of the college comes from Francis Xavier who was a 16th century Spanish Jesuit saint. The college has been awarded the top-most rating (A+ - which equals 5-Star in the re-accreditation by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)) in 2007.
2. Elphinstone College: The Elphinstone College was established in the year 1856, in Mumbai, and has been nicknamed as ‘Elphi’. It is affiliated to the University of Mumbai and is among the oldest colleges in this financial capital of India. The college was exalted as one of the prestigious seats as far as learning was concerned during the British rule over India.
3. Ramnarain Ruia College of Arts & Science: In Mumbai, the Shikshana Prasaraka Mandali of Pune started its first college, the Ramnarain Ruia College of Arts & Science, which was established in June, 1937. In India, this college has the reputation of being among the best institutes of higher education. The Ruia alumni include eminent personalities like Mr. Ajit Wadekar, Mr. Sandeep Patil etc.
4. KJ Somaiya College of Science and Commerce: The KJ Somaiya College of Science and Commerce was founded by Padmabhushan Pujya Late Shri. K. J. Somaiya in 1959. In the last five decades, the college has now emerged into an edification complex and has 35 institutions which belong to different fields like Mass Communication, Management, Engineering, and Humanities. Post Graduate courses of M.Sc. Information Technology, Centre for Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems, Bio-Technology have also been introduced here.
5. Hindi Vidya Prachar Samiti Ramniranjan Jhunjhunwala College: It was on 15 August 1938 that Hindi Vidya Prachar Samiti was established by a visionary Late Shri Nandkishore Singh Jairamji, with an objective of catering to the edification needs of the Hindi speaking community. The Ramniranjan Jhunjhunwala College was finally established in 1963, which enabled a chunk of society to avail higher education, and it has been re-accredited with ‘A’ Grade by NAAC in 2009.
6. SIES College of Commerce and Economics:The SIES College of Arts, Science, and Commerce was established on 20 June 1960, by the South Indian Education Society. It is ranked as the seventh best institute of the country and the third best in Mumbai with regards to the Courses in Mass Communication, as per The India Today. It is again accredited with 'A' by NAAC, with a very high CGPA score of 3.51 in 2015.
7. Jai Hind College:The Jai Hind College is affiliated to the University of Mumbai and was established just after Indian independence, in 1948. There was this group of teachers displaced from D. J. Science College, Sindh, Pakistan with Dr. Mohinder-Miles Morton as the supervisor. The college started with subjects like Arts and Science but by 1980, the faculty of Commerce started and it was followed by Computer Science and Management which were also introduced in the year 1999. Subjects like Biotechnology and Mass Media began in 2002, while Insurance and Banking commenced in 2003.
8. Kirti M Doongursee College of CommerceThe Deccan Education Society founded the Kirti M. Doongursee College of Arts, Science, and Commerce as the Bombay College, with the foundation stone laid by Maharshi Dhondo Keshav Karve, in 1954. It was only in 1960 that the college was renamed with the present name. The college is affiliated to the University of Mumbai, and Sachin Tendulkar, whose father was a teacher in this college, is an alumni here.
9. Sophia College: The Sophia College for Women was established in 1941 by Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and it is an undergraduate college. The word ‘Sophia’ implies ‘Wisdom’ (in Greek). The staff of the college is formed by the Religious Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
10. VG Vaze College of Arts Science and Commerce: The V. G. Vaze College of Arts, Science, and Commerce got an unaided start in 1984 by the Kelkar-Vaze family. This was the youngest college to enjoy the accredited 5 Star position, in addition to being awarded as the ‘College with Potential of Excellence’, and received the ‘Best College Award, University of Mumbai’, in 2005.
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is conducted every year for technical and science graduates who seek ...
Placement season at the Goa Institute of Management (GIM) has been quite fruitful for the batch of 2017. Often listed ...