- Articles byStream
Career Prospects of Hospital Management
Hospital management is concerned with planning, staffing, coordination, organisation, control and evaluation of health services for the masses. The primary objective of hospital management is to provide quality health care to the people in a cost-effective manner. Various medical establishments such as hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centres and so on are the organised institutes. These follow a complex process and need a skilled workforce to manage various activities.
The growth in the hospital industry is remarkably high which has led to a strong demand and popularity of hospital management related courses. The requirement for professional administrators in the hospitals is witnessing a surge as the nature of work in medical establishments is different than other business organisations – and hence a specific skill set is needed for the same.
Medical establishments offer higher salaries to the candidates who possess a degree in Hospital Management. Through this course, not only can one get an opportunity to extend his/her services to humanity but also learn core management skills.
- Pass +2 examinations with Biology as the main stream of study to pursue Bachelor of Hospital Administration (BHA)
- Similarly, to pursue Masters in Hospital Administration (MHA), you need to possess a BHA degree
- Some of the institutes also offer MBA in Hospital Management for which you need to possess a bachelor’s degree in any field
Core Courses/ Subjects:-
- Medical Ethics and Laws
- Management and Human Resources
- Communications in Professional Environment
Skills & Competencies:-
- Capacity to make swift decisions
- Service-oriented bent of mind
- Maintaining friendly approach towards work and ability to handle public and work pressure
- Ability to coping up with deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and leadership qualities
- Good emotional quotient to survive in a hospital environment
- The importance of health care never shrink, and the number of medical establishments has constantly been increasing
- In India, there are more than 2.5 lakh medical establishments which require skilled hospital administrators and managers
Job Profiles/ Fields:
- Patient Financial Specialist
- Hospital Human Resources
- Hospital Management
- Financial Management
- Manpower System Analysis
- Program Director
- Administrative Manager
- Patient Advocate
- Practice Manager
- Medical colleges and institutions
- Government and private hospitals
- National and international health care organisations
- Public health departments and rehabilitation centres
- Medical software companies and hospital consulting firms
- Nursing homes
- Mental health organisations
- Laboratories, clinics and health agencies
The salaries usually offered in this career would be around Rs. 30,000 per month initially. However, super speciality hospitals and 100-bed hospitals offer more salaries based on the skills and experience of the candidate.
Institutes in India that offer Hospital Administration and Management courses:-
- George College, Kolkata
- International Institute of Health Management Research (IIHMR), New Delhi
- Institute of Health Management Research, Bangalore
- Kohinoor College of Paramedical Sciences, Mumbai
- MTE Society’s College of Hospital Management, Pune
- Saraswati Institute of Business Management and Research, Lucknow
- NBA School of Health Care Management, New Delhi
- Advanced Institute of Modern Management and Technology, Kolkata
- Adesh College of Paramedical Sciences, Punjab
Cool, interesting and funny. An ardent lover of animals and gets a kick out of Chetan Bhagat and Amish Tripathi novels. My favourite novel is 'The God of Small Things' written by Arundathi Roy.
One of the most severe problems in the education systems of India is the gender disparity at educational institutions ...
D.Y. Patil University School of Management, Navi Mumbai has announced an admission notification for the Bachelor of ...