How to Prepare
JEE Mains 2017 Question Paper Format
JEE Mains 2017 News and Updates
Founder of the most successful social coaching initiative in India – Super 30 – Anand Kumar informed that he will be increasing the intake of students from 30 to 60. In a discussion held on June 19, 2017, he informed that 60 poor and meritorious students will be selected and will be ...Read more
Now, international students might find it difficult to secure admission to National Institutes of Technology (NITs). Directors of various NITs have expressed their disproval over the Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) scheme. The DASA scheme helps non-resident Indians, foreign nationals and ...Read more
Delhi Technological University (DTU) has postponed the registration schedule for Joint Admission Counselling (JAC) 2017 yet again. Aspirants will now be able to fill the application form for JAC Delhi 2017 from June 12. Candidates aspiring to take admission in B.Tech programmes offered by DTU ...Read more
Bollywood star Hrithik Roshan is all set to play the role of 'Super 30' founder Anand Kumar, a renowned Mathematician who has been playing a significant role in training underprivileged students for the IIT entrance examination. According to sources, Vikas Bahl will helm the biopic and ...Read more
The Joint Admission Committee or JAC has commenced the online registration process for Chandigarh Engineering and Architecture counselling on June 5, 2017. The counselling takes place for the admission to B.Tech, Integrated BE (Chemical), B.Arch and Integrated MBA courses in six institutes. The ...Read more
JEE Mains 2017
JEE MAINS-Joint Entrance Examination (Main), conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (-CBSE), is the national level exam for admissions to 31 NITs, 18 IITs, and 18 GFTIs and is also first stage examination for admissions to prestigious IITs (Indian Institute of Technology) and ISM (Indian School of Mines) Dhanbad. Last year, over 11 lakh candidates appeared for this national level exam for admissions to 31 NITs, 18 IITs, and 18 GFTIs, which are the participating institutes of JEE Mains. Top 1.5 lakh candidates of JEE Main are eligible to appear for JEE Advanced, which is the second stage of entrance test for admissions to IITs and ISM.
Admission criteria to Undergraduate Engineering Programs at NITs, IIITs, Other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions, Institutions funded by participating State Governments, and other Institutions shall be the performance in the Joint Entrance Examination, JEE (Main). There shall be no weight age for the 12th class marks in calculating the ranks in the JEE (Main) examination,
The States of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Nagaland, and Odisha have joined JEE (Main) system.
Therefore, the candidates seeking admission to the institutions in these states, which were earlier admitting based on their State Level Examination, are also advised to fill in the JEE (Mains) application form online.
Note: **From 2017 onwards, AADHAR card is mandatory for JEE Mains Registration.
DATE OF EXAMINATION
April 2, 2017(Sunday) (Pen&Paper BasedExamination)
April 08th &09th, 2017(Computer Based Examination)
JEE Mains 2017 Conducting Body
Central Board of Secondary Education - CBSE Conducts JEE MAINS-Joint Entrance Examination (Main). The 'Central Board of Secondary Education' witnessed rapid growth and expansion at the level of Secondary education resulting in improved quality and standard of education in institutions. But with the advent of State Universities and State Boards in various parts of the country the jurisdiction of the Board was confined only to Ajmer, Bhopal and Vindhya Pradesh later. As a result of this, in 1952, the constitution of the Board was amended wherein its jurisdiction was extended to part-C and Part-D territories and the Board was given its present name 'Central Board of Secondary Education'. It was in the year 1962 finally that the Board was reconstituted. The main objectives were to serve the educational institutions more effectively, to be responsive to the educational needs of those students whose parents were employed by the Central Government.
JEE Mains Contact Details
|Address||Plot No. 149, Block - H, Sector - 63, Noida - 201309 Distt- Gautam Budh Nagar (U.P.)|
|Mode||Both Online and Pen & Paper|
JEE Mains FAQ
1) What is JEE?
JEE is Joint Entrance Examination which was previously known as AIEEE (All India Engineering Entrance exam). It is conducted by CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education). Students who are interested to get into Engineering and other technical courses in the premier institutes like IIT, ISM, NIT etc.
2) What will be the mode of JEE Main ?
JEE Main will be conducted in offline as well as online mode. The offline or pen and paper based exam will be held on April 2,2017 while the online or computer based exam will be conducted oApril 08th & 09th, 2017.
3) When the forms will be available ?
There will not be any physical sale of forms. The forms will be filled up ‘Online’only. The forms will be available on JEE-Main website . The form will be available from first week of December . To help candidates fill up the application forms online , the CBSE will release list of facilitation centres at the time of release of the form.The candidates can avail services of these centres free of cost.
4) When the application correction window has been activated by the Board, what are the corrections that cannot be made?
Typically, changes in the examination center, changes in the mode of the exam i.e computer based to pen & paper based mode and changes in the date of the computer-based examination will not be allowed.
5) What should a candidate do in case of a failed transaction while paying the fee?
In case, the payment status remains as ‘Failed’ during the online transaction of the application fee, then candidates should note that the fee payment is not complete. In such instances, candidates will be required to pay the fees again via online transaction or e-challan and download their acknowledgment slip. If the amount is found debited against the previous attempt, the same will be processed at payment gateway and refunded back within 7 to 10 days.
6) What are the specifications for the thumb impression that should be used while filling in the JEE Main Application Form? What should a candidate do if he/she has no thumb?
- When uploading the thumb impression, male candidates are required to upload the impression of their left-hand thumb and female candidates are required to upload the impression of their right- hand thumb. However, in case candidates have provided the wrong thumb impression, they should ensure that they apply the same thumb impression on the attendance sheet as well, at the time of the examination.
- Candidates, who do not have a thumb, can upload an impression of their finger or foot thumb and the same is to be applied on the attendance sheet as well.
7) Is there a provision for candidates to appear for Paper-1 (Computer based) and Paper-2 (Pen and Paper based)of JEE Main at different centers?
Candidates opting to appear for both Paper-1, which will be held in the online mode and Paper-2, which will be held in the offline mode will be allotted only such test centers which have the facility for both the modes of examination.
8) What is Computer Based Examination (Online mode)?
It is a Computer Based Exam which will be conducted using the Local Area Network (LAN) to make it safe, secure and un-interrupted.
9) How will students who failed to book their session for the online examination be informed of the date and session of the exam?
Candidates who missed out on making any selection after paying the fees will be allotted a random slot/date as per the availability. The details of the session/slot that has been allotted to the candidate will be given on the admit card that is issued to him/her.
10) Is it possible for candidates to change the exam mode if they wish?
Candidates can change their exam mode. However, the mode of examination can be changed from the pen and paper based mode to the computer based mode of examination only.
11) Is computer based examination for B.E. and B.Tech only?
Yes,Computer based examination for B.E. and B.Tech only.
12) Which thumb impression should be used while filling JEE-Main form? What if a candidate has no thumb?
The scanned image of left hand thumb impression (right hand thumb in case the candidate do not have left hand thumb or any finger if both thumbs are not there) is to be uploaded during online submission of application form of JEE Main . However, if a candidate has uploaded right hand thumb impression (by mistake), he/she need not to worry because the JEE Main Application Form will not be cancelled because of this mistake and he/she will be issued admit card for appearing in JEE Main as usual.
13) In case photograph doesn’t have name and date, would the form be rejected?
Though Name of the candidate and date on which the photograph is taken is to be mentioned on the photograph, but in case uploaded photograph does not have name and date, the form will not be rejected and no correction is required in such a case and he/she will be issued admit card for appearing in JEE Main as usual.
14) Could you clarify a little on how will NRI or a foreign student enter his/her mobile number?
Such candidates should enter the mobile number of his/her relative residing in India.
15) What corrections are allowed to be made during the month of January in Online JEE Main Application Form?
The correction in particulars can be done only if the candidates have paid the fee and completed all the steps of online application form of JEE Main. The candidates can modify all the particulars (except change of examination center and change of mode of examination from computer based to pen paper based examination) of his/her application form during the facility of correction from January 21 to January 31. The balance fee, if any due to correction in particulars, will have to be paid by the candidates during this period.
16) If a student fails to book his/her session for online examination after paying the fees, how will he know about the date and session of the examination?
If a candidate does not make any selection, he/she shall be randomly assigned a slot/date as per the availability of the same. Details of session and slot will be mentioned on the admit card which can be downloaded from the second week of March.
17) Can a candidate get an exam center as per his/her choice?
The Candidate can opt for city of his/her choice as per list of computer based exam cities at the time of filling application form only.
18) What JEE Main Application Form mistakes cannot be rectified in January?
Candidates, who wish to rectify the mistakes committed while filling the application form of JEE Main must note that the following errors might not be rectified:
- Change in exam center
- Mode of exam from computer (online) to pen & paper (offline) based
- Change in the date of computer based (online) examination.
19) If a candidate has passed in 2015 and has appeared for improvement in 2016, what he will fill in the academic details section.
Such candidates have to decide as to which percentage of marks i.e. 2015 or 2016 is better and accordingly, they have to select the year and corresponding roll number in the first step of application form of JEE (Main) .
Further, the candidates who have passed class 12th in 2016 and appearing in improvement examination of class 12th in 2017, may fill the form in either of the following methods:-
a) Select the year of passing class 12th as 2016 and enter the roll number, name of the board in the first step of the application form. In the second step of application form select ‘yes’ in the column – appearing for improvement examination.
b) Select the year of appearing class 12th as 2017 and fill the remaining form correctly.After declaration of result of improvement examination, there will be option on the website to provide the correct roll number of class 12 in which candidate’s result is better.
20) What if the candidate has no thumb?
In case the candidate has no thumb, he/she can upload the finger and foot thumb impression. Also, he/she has to apply the same on the attendance sheet during final exam.
21) In case the photograph does not have name and date, will my form be rejected?
Candidates are required on enter their name and date on the photograph. However, if the uploaded photograph does not have name, then the form will not be rejected. Also, no correction is required in this case.
22) During JEE Main application form correction period in January, what mistakes will I be allowed to correct?
Candidates can rectify the following mistakes:
2.Mode of exam from pen and paper to computer based
3.Date of computer based examination.
23) What are JEE-MAIN and JEE-ADVANCED examinations ?
The erstwhile AIEEE exam will now be called as JEE-MAIN exam and erstwhile IIT-JEE will now be called as JEE-ADVANCED exam. To appear in JEE-ADVANCED, one has to appear in JEE-MAIN first and should be in top 1.5 lakh candidates category wise.
24) Is there any option available that the Hindi Medium paper comes in both the languages?
Yes, Hindi medium paper will be bilingual in English and Hindi medium.
25) Will a candidate have a choice to change the mode of examination?
Yes, but a candidate can change mode of examination from pen & paper examination to computer based examination.
26) What is the number of permissible attempts to appear for JEE Main ?
The permissible number of attempts is limited to three.
27) What is the eligibility for private candidates?
- Candidates targeting JEE Main must have qualified Class XII or equivalent qualifying exam in 2016 or 2017. Those who will be appearing in their Class XII exam or equivalent qualifying exam in 2017 are eligible for JEE Main 2017.
- Students, who qualified Class XII or equivalent qualifying exam in 2014 or before are not be eligible. Even candidates who will be appearing for Class XII or equivalent qualifying exam in 2018 or later are not eligible for JEE Main 2017.
- Additionally, candidates who appeared in Class XII/equivalent qualifying exam in 2014, did not pass in 2014, but passed in 2015 are also not eligible to appear in JEE Main 2017.
- The eligibility criteria for JEE Main 2017 is same for both regular and private candidates.
28) What is the eligibility for Diploma candidates?
Diploma holders are eligible only for JEE Advanced examination. But in order to appear for JEE Advanced 2017, a diploma candidate can apply for JEE Main 2017 however his/her JEE Main 2017 score and rank will not be declared because a diploma holder cannot apply for admission in NITs and CFTIs through JEE Main.
29) What will be pattern of examination for JEE-MAIN 2013 (both for B.E./B.TECH. and B.ARCH) please inform ? What will be the duration of exam?
Subject combination for each paper and type of questions in each paper are given in the table below:
TYPE OF QUESTIONS
TYPE OF QUESTIONS
Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics
Objective type questions with equal
weightage to Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics
Mathematics – Part I Aptitude Test – Part II & Drawing Test – Part III
Objective type questions Objective
type questions questions to test Drawing Aptitude
Requirement of papers for different courses is given in the table below:
30) Will there be negative marking in JEE-Main exam 2013 ? What will be the typology of the questions therein ?
YES. There will be objective type questions with four options having single correct answer. For each incorrect response, one fourth (1/4) of the total marks allotted to the question would be deducted. No deduction from the total score will, however, be made if no response is indicated for an item in the answer sheet.
31) What is age criteria to be eligible for JEE Main ?
Only those candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1988 are eligible. However, in the case of Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Persons with Disabilities (PWD) candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e. SC, ST and PWD candidates who were born on or after October 01, 1983 are eligible. Date of birth as recorded in the Secondary Education Board/University certificate only will be taken as authentic.
32) When are the candidates appearing in class 12th examination in 2017 or improvement examination in 2017 supposed to enter their roll number of class 12th?
The roll number data of class 12th examination of 2017 is being collected from all the boards and it will be linked on the website of JEE Main 2017. The candidates at the time of downloading their admit cards of JEE Main 2017 will have to enter their roll number of class 12th which will be verified with the data received from the concerned board and thereafter it will be updated in the database. In case, the roll number of class 12th of any particular candidate(s) is not provided by the concerned board, such candidates will not be able to download their admit card of JEE Main . The candidates appearing in improvement examination of class 12th in 2017 will get a chance in the last week of May or first week of June 2017 to confirm as to which result/roll number of class 12th (i.e. of the year 2016 or 2017) they want to get considered for calculation of All India Rank of JEE Main 2017.
33) If a candidate wants to opt for bothB.E./B.Tech and B.Planning/B.Arch from city of computer based exam,than how will a candidate appear for B.Arch/B Planning exam?
His/Her B.E./B.Tech Exam will be conducted in computer based exam mode and B.Planning/B.Archin offline mode in the same city.
34) Why are there no sample papers for offline exams?
The mock test available on website is for all the candidates who have opted either for pen and paper based mode or computer based mode. However it is also for practice purpose and to give candidates look and feel of the Computer Based Examination (CBE). Questions from the previous years are uploaded on JEE (Main) website.
35) What will be medium of examinations of JEE-MAIN and JEE-ADVANCED ?
Hindi and English. The JEE-MAIN examination will also be conducted in the Regional Languages of the State(s) on the requests of such State(s) who are participating in JEE(Main) for their State Engineering Colleges/ Universities. However JEE-ADVANCED will be conducted in English/Hindi medium only.
36) Can I use calculator for calculations in the JEE-Main exam ?
Use of electronic devices like mobile phone, calculator, iPod, etc. is NOT PERMITTED in JEE (Main). Also materials like log table, book, notebook, etc. Should NOT be brought into the examination hall.
37) I am a blind student. Will I get amanuenses ?
Provision has been made to provide amanuenses to the blind candidates. Candidate has to contact Executive Director, JEE(Main) for JEE(Main) exam one month before the examination along with medical certificate issued by the competent authority.
Amanuenses will be provided by the Center Superintendent. Class XI student of Commerce/Humanities without Mathematics will only be provided as amanuenses. One hour extra time will also be allowed to such candidates.
38) Will a candidate be getting some practice test? If yes, than how and when ?
Yes, the mock test is available on CBSE / JEE websites and can be downloaded for the practice.
39) If a candidate has selected medium want to see question in Hindi for more clarity or vice-a-versa, is this possible ?
Yes you can easily do with the click of computer of question paper as English but mouse.
40) Will there be a question booklet like in offline examination?
In Computer Based Examination the questions will appear on computer screen along with the answer options. Instruction page will also be displayed before the actual test begins. The time of reading of instructions will not be part of examination duration.
41) When will the result of Computer Based Examination be declared?
Combined result will be declared along with the Pen and Paper based examination candidates.
42) When will the JEE MAINS results be declared?
Results will be available on the website Last week of April .
43) For how long is the JEE MAINS score valid?
The JEE MAINS score is valid for just one year.
44) Could you kindly name the boards recognized under Association of Indian Universities?
You can visit the official website .
45) What are HSC vocational courses?
Different states can have different HSC vocational courses, so students of different states will have to verify it from their particular state.
46) What will be admission criteria for State Engineering Colleges ?
In case any State opts to admit students in the engineering Colleges affiliated to state Universities and requires separate merit list to be provided based on relativeweightages adopted by the states, the merit list shall be prepared with such relative weightages as may be indicated by States. As of now Gujarat state has opted for the same.
47) What are the reservation rules for JEE-Main Exam ?
As per Government of India rules candidates belonging to certain categories are
admitted to seats reserved for them based on relaxed criteria.
These categories are:
(i) Other Backward Classes (OBC) if they belong to Non-Creamy Layer (NCL)
(ii) Scheduled Castes (SC)
(iii) Scheduled Tribes (ST)
(iv) Persons with Physical Disability (PD)
Benefit of reservation shall be given only to those classes/castes/tribes which are in the respective central list published by the Govt of India.
48) What are the advantages in opting for Computer Based Examination?
a) The candidate can review or re-answer any question at any point of time during the examination.
b) The candidate can change the option of the answer during the exam duration and it is one of the most important feature of computer based examination
c) The candidate also has the option to mark any answer for review at later stage during the examination.
d) There will be a panel on computer screen showing all the question nos in different colour scheme which will indicate which are the questions answered, left un answered and marked for review
e) Candidate gets the flexibility in choosing the exam date of his/her choice as per his/her convenience.
f) It will make Candidate feel confident on use of Information technology.
g) You can also save upto Rs. 500 in Exam fees compare to Pen/Paper mode.
49) Is there any call centre support?
Yes. There is a call centre support for candidates appearing in computer based examination. The helpline number(s) are available on the JEE website.
50) What are Seat Allocation Process for JEE MAINS?
- Candidates shall be offered admission based on their choices and All India Ranks of JEE (Main) through a Seat Allocation Process to be announced later. The candidates will be able to make their choices online for branches/programmes and institutes at appropriate time.Candidates are advised to regularly visit the JEE (Main) website for latest information.
- The verification of documents would be done at the time of Seat Allocation Process/admission. The purpose would be to verify different records regarding identification, age, qualifying examination, state of eligibility, category and disability (if any) of the candidate. On failing to produce any of the authentic documents, the candidate will not be considered for admission.
- SC, ST, OBC and PwD candidates will be required to produce original certificate issued by the competent authority at the time of Seat Allocation Process as well as at the time of admission, failing which they will not be considered for admission.
51) If the photograph affixed on the application form does not have the name and date mentioned on it, would the application form be rejected?
Candidates are to mention their name and the date on which the photograph was taken on the photograph that is attached on the application form. However, the form will not be rejected in case candidates have failed to mention the same and the candidate will not be required to make corrections in such a case either.