KCET- BE/B.Tech -

KCET- BE/B.Tech (KCET- BE/B.Tech - 2016)

Online | State Level Exam
Application Fee - General / OBC - Rs.650 | SC / ST - Rs.500

Q - Do I get a marks Card for KCET?

A -

You can see your ranking in the KEA website.

How to Prepare

Preparation Strategy

Make a proper Time Table

It is very important that you make a timetable and stick to it and you will have an exact idea of what you are required to study and the time required for it.

Concept clarity rather than rote learning

It is essential that you have a clear idea of the formulas and concepts rather than rote learning of things for the papers. While you might require it for memorizing formulas it is important that for other stuff you make sure you clear your basics and concepts before moving on.

Prepare Notes

It is very important make small notes or a comprehensive list of formulas on each covered topic and chapter which will come in handy at the time of revision. This will require you to be regular with your work but will surely make things easy at the time of revision.


Aspirants should focus on core topics and theories of Physics, Chemistry and Maths. Try and finish all the topics in the next two-three months. Thereafter, do not touch any new topics or comfortable areas. The chief strategy should be to attempt familiar questions and leave non-familiar/non-comfortable questions. Candidates should be able to decide this within 10 seconds.

Speed will be also very critical in the exam. Apart question learning to select a question, candidates should also to reject a question in less than 10 seconds. For a correct answer, 1 mark will be allotted and no provision for negative marking will be applied. Since, marks will not be deducted for the wrong answer, candidates can guess answers.

Expect some calculation-heavy problems. These questions are meant to be left alone. Give it a try only if are not very close.

So focus on JEEMAINS syllabus.

Application Process

Step 1
Create Login ID
Step 2
Completing the Online Form
Step 3
Uploading Scan Copy of Documents

KCET- BE/B.Tech 2016 Question Paper Format

online Online
Exam Type
marks 1.0 Mark
Correct Question Mark
marks 0.0 Mark
Negative Marking

KCET- BE/B.Tech 2016

Karnataka Common Entrance Test acronym as (KCET) Karnataka common Entrance Exam is conducted by the Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA) for admissions to two-year program in many specializations.The Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA) conducts entrance exam, every year, for intake of the candidates into Colleges and Universities of Karnataka.

Courses Offered- 

  • B.Tech (Agri.Engg)
  • B.Tech (Food Technology)
  • B.Tech (Dairy Tech)
  • B.Tech(Food Science &Tech)

KCET- BE/B.Tech 2016 Conducting Body

The Government of Karnataka established Common Entrance Test Cell in the year 1994 for conducting of Entrance Test and to determine the merit of the candidates for admission to Professional courses such as Medical, Dental, Indian Systems of Medicine & Homoeopathy, Engineering / Technology & Architecture courses, Farm Science, B-Pharm, Pharm-D courses.

KCET- BE/B.Tech Contact Details

Address Sampige Road, 18th Cross, Malleshwaram, Bangalore - 560012.
Phone no 080 - 23460460
Type State
Mode Online


1) What is KCET?

The Karnataka Common Entrance Test (KCET) is conducted by the “Karnataka Examinations Authority” (KEA) for candidates of Karnataka and the children of Jammu & Kashmiri migrants for admissions to the first semester or first year of full time courses in engineering, technology courses (B.E./ B.Tech), naturopathy & yoga, architecture courses (B.Arch), unani, homoeopathy, ayurveda, dental (BDS) and medical (MBBS) in private aided or private un-aided professional colleges or University in Karnataka.

2) How do i have to pay the fees?

Prescribed fees should be paid in the form of Demand Draft drawn in favour of the “Executive Director, Karnataka Examinations Authority” payable at respective helpline centre as the case may be.

3) If any column is left blank while filling the Application Form what happens?

It will be rejected – please verify and confirm that every column has been filled before submitting the application.

4) I am a repeater student from Karnataka. Where can, I get the CET application form?

You can go to the institution where you have studied & passed and pay a DD of Rs. 650/ to get the application or you can obtain the application directly by sending a DD for Rs. 750/? with a self addressed envelope to the KEA office.

5) How much DD should I have to pay for the application as I am a repeater student belonging to SC/ ST/ Cat?1?

You have pay a DD of Rs. 500/ if you want to get the application through the institution that you have studied OR you can send a DD of 750/ with a self addressed envelope to the KEA office of you want the form directly KEA will send the broacher cum application form to your address by speed post.

6) I am a student residing outside Karnataka. Can apply for KCET?

Please read the eligibility clauses in our website before applying for KCET .

7) When is it conducted ?

It is usually conducted in the month of MAY. This year, the entrance test is being conducted on First week of may.

8) When will I get my Admit Card?

Admit card will be available for view and print from first week of May(Onwards). You will have to log onto the KEA website with your registered User ID. You will be eligible for an Admit Card only upon submission of online application form. You will receive an automated email confirmation upon successful submission.

9) Is it necessary to apply separately for Medical and Engineering courses?

Not necessary. Application form is common for all the courses.

10) I am a CBSE student studying in Kuwait. How much amount of DD I have to enclose to get the application?

You have to enclose a DD for Rs. 5000/? drawn in favor of “The Executive Director, KEA” payable at Bangalore along with a self addressed cloth line?cover for sending the brochure cum application .

11) I am an SC/ST repeater student.I want to get the application form directly to my residence. How much amount of DD I have to send?

You have to send a DD for Rs. 750/? payable at Bangalore.

12) Can I send my requisition for obtaining KCET application, through courier?

No. KEA will not take the responsibility for envelops sent through courier or given in person or through any other private arrangements.

13) In the Application Form few columns are not relevant to me. However you have said that all incomplete applications will be rejected. What to do in such circumstances?

The Application has to be filled up in all respects. Where ever any column is not applicable, the candidate shall write N.A. in the relevant column.

14) Is it necessary to write the previous KCET the column provided in the Application Form?

If you have taken a seat in any of the discipline through KEA then it is necessary to write the previous KCET No., college, course etc.

15) I am a ‘B’ Certificate holder in NCC. Can I mark reservation under special category in the KCET application form?

Yes. You can mark in special category.

16) If I loose my verification slip after verification what shall I do?

Please contact the helpline centre where you have verified your documents. It is an important document which may be required for all other future work.

17) Who is eligible to appear in KCET (B.E/B.Tech)?

A candidate who has passed the Qualifying Exam (Q.E.) with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with Chemistry / Bio-Technology / Biology / Electronics / Computer Science as optional subjects with English as one of the languages of study and obtained an aggregate minimum of 45% marks in the optional subjects in the Q.E. is eligible for Engineering / Technology courses. 40% of marks in Q.E. in case of SC, ST, Category-I and OBC Category candidates. Provided that, the marks obtained by the candidate in Bio-Technology / Biology / Electronics / Computer Science in the Q. E., will be considered in place of Chemistry, in case the marks obtained in Chemistry is less for required aggregate percentage, only for the purpose of determination of eligibility and not for the purpose of determination of rank, in respect of Engineering / Technology courses.

18) Will there be any negative marking?

Yes, 1 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.

19) What is to be done in first 10 minutes after the first bell in CET Exam?

You have to write the name, CET No, question booklet version code, 2nd PU Reg no. & question booklet and shade the respective circles in the required manner as instructed in the OMR sheet.

20) How many versions of question paper will be given?

16 versions of questions papers will be given.

21) Is the evaluation of sheets done manually also?

No.It will be scanned.

22) Is it necessary to use the black ball point only?

Yes. You may use Blue Ball point pen also.

23) I have passed my 2nd PU/12th Standard exam in 2014, I wish to write KCET Exam, whether I should obtain the application Form through my old Institution I have studied or can I apply directly to KEA.

You can get the application from your concerned School or College by submitting a DD or Rs.650/ for G.M. & OBC (Rs.500/ for SC/ST/Cat-1). If you want application by Speed Post from KEA, you have to submit a DD for Rs.750/ (within India).

24) I am a Horanadu Kannadiga Candidate, but I have studied in Kannada medium from 1st to 10th standard outside Karnataka. Am I supposed to write Kannada Language Examination?

No. You are exempted from the writing Kannada language exam applicable to Horanadu Kannadiga. You have to fill up the clause code as ‘n’ in your application.

25) I am a Gadinadu Candidate, but I have studied in Kannada medium from 1st to 10th standard outside Karnataka. Am I supposed to write Kannada Language Examination?

No. You are exempted from the writing Kannada language exam applicable to Gadinadu Kannadiga. You have to fill up the clause code as ‘n’ in your application.

26) I am residing outside the State of Karnataka. I am neither Horanadu Or Gadinadu Kannadiga. But I have studied 1st Standard to 10th Standard in Kannada Medium in the State I resided. Am I eligible for Kannada medium reservation?

Yes. You are eligible to claim the benefit of reservation in Kannada Medium you need not take up Kannada language exam test.

27) Do you consider the marks obtained in Mathematics while declaring the ranks for Architecture?

No.We will consider the total marks obtained in all subjects. (Including languages).

28) What is the minimum mark to be scored in PUC to apply for Engineering courses?

The minimum percentage of marks in PUC is 45% in case of GM and 40% in case of SC, ST, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B and Cat 1 candidates. In this, Physics and Mathematics marks are taken compulsorily along with either Chemistry / Biology/ Bio?technology.

29) I have taken an Engineering seat during 2016 counseling. Can I appear for the exam and change my college and course?

No. It is not possible. You can appear for the examination for other discipline and opt for Medical/ Dental/ ISM&H courses.

30) I have studied 1st standard to7th standard in Kannada medium. Am I eligible for Kannada reservation?

No. The candidate has to study from 1 st standard to 10 th standard continuously to get the benefit of reservation under Kannada medium.

31) What are the passing marks in KCET?

There is no prescribed minimum mark for pass.

32) Do I get a marks Card for KCET?

You can see your ranking in the KEA website.

33) When will the KCET(B.E/B.Tech) results be declared?

Results will be available on the website First week of June .

34) For how long is the KCET(B.E/B.Tech) score valid?

The KCET(B.E/B.Tech) score is valid for just one year.

35) How is the merit determined for Engineering course?

The merit of Engineering will be determined on the basis of 50% of marks obtained in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics subjects in CET and 50% of marks obtained in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in II PU/ 12 th standard examination taken in equal proportions.

36) My father was in a Rural area when I was in 1 st standard to 4th standard. After that, I have studied completely in a Taluk headquarter. Am I eligible for Rural reservation?

For Rural reservation, the candidate should study from 1 st standard to 10th standard in a Rural area and the parents annual income should not exceed Rs. 3.5 lakhs. Hence you are not eligible to claim Rural reservation. (In case of SC/ST/ Cat I candidates, there is no ceiling limit on income) .

37) Who is the authority who can issue Kannada medium study certificate?

The Principal/ Head master of the institution will issue Kannada medium certificate which has to be counter signed by BEO of the area/ jurisdiction. Uncertified certificate will not be accepted.

38) Where can I ask for Rural study certificate?

You can get the Rural study certificate from your Principal/ Head Master of the institution where you have studied and you have to get it countersigned by the concerned BEO. Along with the Rural study, you have to submit the income certificate/ Non Creamy Layer Certificate (NCLC) issued by the concerned Tahsildar for GM candidates.

39) If I opt for allotment of seats what should I do?

Gap of 5 days will be given to the candidates from the date of hosting the allotment details on the website in the Admission Round to exercise their choice of willingness or unwillingness.
I have cancelled / surrendered my allotted seats, Whether I am eligible to participate in the Casual Vacancy Round? No, a candidate who has received the admission order and cancelled the allotted seat will have no further consideration in exercising the options for a fresh allotment of seats.

40) After allotment where I have to see the allotted details?

The details of allotments made in respect of all the candidates will be hosted on the website of KEA and also on the notice boards of help line centres.

41) I have not been allotted any seat in the first round? What I have to do?

Please wait for the second round of allotment. You can exercise your options afresh based on the seats available.

42) Since there is no face to face counseling whom do I have to contact for clarification regarding entry of options and other issues?

Candidates can contact KEA over telephone. Once the process of document verification starts Helpline will be established in KEA office for all queries and distress calls; further candidate can also send their questionnaires to KEA e?mail keauthority? All your queries will be attended on day to day basis. Or you can visit any nearest helpline centre and clarify the doubts.