Operations Management is one of the specialized areas which concerns with creation and delivery of the products and services of a company. The jobs in this field are highly challenging and vital from manufacturing to retailing services. It is apt to say that the efficiency and effectiveness of a company/organization depend on the management of the operations.
An operations manager is a person who plays an important role in the functioning of an organization or a company. He/she plans the activities that have to be taken up for a particular day and checks whether all the operations are being carried out effectively. He/she also plays an important role in serving the interest of organization and customers.
Most of the graduates in MBA Operations Management work as:-
- Supply Chain Manager
- Logistics Manager
- Consultant and
- Inventory Control Manager
Responsibilities of an Operations Manager:-
- It is the responsibility of an operations manager to have oversight of inventory, purchasing and supplies.
- Operations manager also plays a key role in budgeting, controlling costs and keeping the organization financially strong.
- He/she needs to think about various ways to minimize the cost of production.
- It is the responsibility of an operations manager to set goals and objectives for his team. He/she operates in various teams. For example, he can set goals and targets for the sales team in promoting the goods and services.
Educational Qualification to become an Operations Manager:-
An MBA aspirant who is equipped with technical qualifications can pursue MBA in Operations Management. For this purpose a Bachelor’s Degree is necessary. The allied field of operations management like logistics and supply chain management has a great demand in various B-Schools across the country. However, 50% of marks in Bachelor’s Degree is required to pursue MBA in Operations Management. There are various reputed institutions in India offering this course. The admissions into this course can be sought by qualifying in various entrance tests like ATMA, MAT, and others.
There is a lot of demand for operations manager in India. There has been a severe shortage of skilled manpower in major sectors like supply chain and logistics, manufacturing, and warehousing. This shortage has been continuing for the past two decades. So, most of the companies or organizations need a skilled operations manager. To gain employment in this sector interpersonal skills, communication skills and forecasting the changes in the market are very essential. Moreover, this job needs a lot of vision on various companies, market prices and estimating profits and losses.
Packages offered for an Operations Manager:-
The initial package offered for an Operations Manager ranges between Rs.3,00,000 to Rs.5,00,00 per annum. However, if a person gains experience for 3-5 years he/she can draw an average salary of Rs.6,00,000 to Rs.9,00,000 per annum.
Top Institutes in India for MBA in Operations Management:-
- Xavier Labour Research Institute, Jamshedpur
- IIM Bangalore
- IIM Calcutta
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai
- SP Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai
- Shailesh J Mehta School of Management, Mumbai
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik
- IIT Delhi
- Indian School of Business, Hyderabad.
- IIM Lucknow
To conclude, it is one of the best and challenging options for a bright career. There has been a continuous demand for the MBA graduates in Operations Management. The employment opportunities for graduates in this field are increasing. Continuous effort and sincere hard work will definitely lead to success.