Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
The Design courses offered in Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati are the most sought after courses by the students. The courses are offered by The Department of Design, (DoD) which is one of the thirteen departments at Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati. The Department of Design at IITG is known for nurturing quality innovators, inventors, communicators, and creators. IIT Guwahati was established in the year 1994 and it is the sixth IIT in its fraternity. The Department of Design is known for offering programs at undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels. The different types of courses offered by the department of design include BDes, MDes, and PhD degrees in various disciplines. The students must note that B.Des offered by this department is the only undergraduate level degree of its kind in an IIT.
The design programmes offered by the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati are unique because the focus of the program is to create, invent, and innovate with the help of technologies. The approach is interdisciplinary research by mixing engineering, social sciences, design, and other related fields. The students under this program are able to use analytical and methodological approaches to solve the problems related to design and also study issues such as aesthetics, consumer behaviors, human engineering, design management, culture studies, and many other similar factors that are integrated into their program. The students must meet the eligibility criteria for taking admission in design courses at the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati. The students can go through this article to find more detailed information about the admission process and fee structure of IITG.
Design Courses in IIT Guwahati Overview
The candidates can get basic information about the Design Course available in IIT Guwahati from the overview given below.
Amingaon Area, North Guwahati City, Assam, India
Public Technical University
Design Courses Offered
BDes, MDes, PhD
For UG - UCEED
For PG - CEED
Total Tuition Fee
For UG - INR 8.46 Lakhs (4 years)
For PG - INR 49.85 K (2 years)
Mode of Study
50 lakhs per annum
10 lakhs per annum
Microsoft, Flipkart, Myntra, DE Shaw, Google, Oracle
There are lot of summer internship opportunities for the students.
Design Courses in IIT Guwahati Eligibility Criteria
Indian Institute of Technology has always been a dream destination for all the students to excel in the selected course. The students must meet the eligibility criteria to take admission in different courses related to design. The eligibility criteria course wise is mentioned below.
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Guwahati BDes Course
- The students must have passed the qualifying examination (Class XII or equivalent) with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
- The students must have a valid score card for the Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED) conducted by the IITs.
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Guwahati MDes
- The students must have completed the qualifying examination (graduation or equivalent) in the science stream.
- The students applying for the postgraduate program must the Common Entrance Examination for Design (CCED). The CCED examination is conducted by the IITs as part of their central admission procedure.
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Guwahati PhD Courses
The PhD courses offered at IITG are not only interdisciplinary but also intradisciplinary to give wide exposure to the students in the design field. There are different categories for which PhD admissions are offered. The common eligibility criteria for different design-related PhD programs are mentioned below.
- The students must have cleared the qualifying examination (Masters) in the relevant field.
- The students must have valid CCED/GATE score card. These scorecards are not required for sponsored/self-financed students.
IIT Guwahati Design Courses
All UG, PG and PhD Design Courses are offered by IIT Guwahati. The candidates can check the list of design courses offered by IIT Guwahati given below.
BDes Graphic Designer
4 years (8 Semesters)
BDes Product Design
BDes Human Factors Engineering
BDes Usability Engineering
BDes Interactional Designer
MDes Interaction Design
2 years (4 Semesters)
MDes Visual Communication
MDes Industrial Design
5 to 6 years
Also Read: List of Design Courses After 12th
Design Courses in IIT Guwahati Admission Process
The admission process is very crucial for the students. They must be acquainted and familiar with the admission process for different levels of courses. The admission process varies for different levels of courses apart from meeting the eligibility criteria as mentioned above. The students can check the admission process for BDes, MDes, and PhD programs offered by the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati.
IIT Guwahati Admission Process for BDes
The students will to take admission in Bachelors in Design (BDes) at Indian Institute of Technology must adhere to the stepwise admission processes as mentioned below.
- First of all, seats are allocated to the students based on their choice, their ranks in UCEED, and the availability of the seats as per the seat matrix.
- After verification of digital copies of certificates of the students, they are offered the seat allotment letter, with a provision to either freeze or float which means the students can either block their seats or move to the second round of admission for getting seats of their choice.
- The student accepts the allotment of seats by paying Rs 60000 as part of their semester fee through a common online payment portal.
- If a student gets his choice frozen after the seat allotment, there is no further possibility of upgradation. The students who do not get first choice can exercise either payment of fees or floating for next round of the admission process.
- In case of No vacancies after the first round of seat allotment, there will be no second round. However, if any seats become vacant because of withdrawal at the later stage due to selection at better places, then extra rounds of seat allotment will be conducted. The students who will opt for float option will be provided with a higher choice as per the list of choices.
- Once the student gets the seat as per the choice, they will have to report to the allotted institute for carrying out the admission processes as per the rules. Students who will get admitted to B.Des will not be allowed to change their course to any other undergraduate program.
- The students will be informed about the list of documents and details of schedule in their admission letter provided by the institute.
IIT Guwahati Admission Process for MDes
The admission process for Master in Design (MDes) at Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati is simple and follows a three-tier selection process.
- The students must possess a valid CEED scorecard.
- Design Aptitude Test at DoD, IITG for the selected candidates based on their CEED score
- Interview and Portfolio
The shortlisted students will have to appear for the Design Exercise and Portfolio Evaluation as per the guidelines mentioned on the official website of IITG. The students can go through the important instruction of the admission process at https://www.iitg.ac.in/design/.
IIT Guwahati Admission Process for PhD Programs
The admission process for PhD programmes at Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati is different from undergraduate and postgraduate programs. The students can check the admission process as mentioned below.
- The students need to apply as per the advertisements which are announced by the Indian Institute of Technology every 6 months. The advertisements are published in the leading newspapers and on the websites of IITG.
- The admission process will include a seminar/presentation by the students on the topic of their choice but related to design.
- The seminar can also be in the form of a proposal stating the research problems, hypothesis, objectives, research methodology, etc.
- The students will have to undergo a process of formal interview/test after their presentation.
- The duration of PhD programmes can range from 3-5 years.
Design Courses in IIT Guwahati Fee Structure
The fee structure of IIT Guwahati Design Courses includes tuition fees, registration fees, mess fees, exam fees, hostel fees, etc. The candidates can pay the fee in both offline and online modes. The design course fee structure in IIT Guwahati is very nominal as compared to other Design private colleges. The candidates can check the fee structure of IIT Guwahati mentioned below.
Travel Assistant Fund
Electricity and Water Bill
Medical exam charge
|Career Scope in Designing Industry|
|Fashion Designing Courses|
The candidates who are interested in pursuing Designing Courses from IIT Guwahati can refer to this article and keep a check on this page for latest updates and news. Candidates having any doubt or queries, please visit our QnA section of CollegeDekho and feel free to raise your queries and doubts. We will be helping you in the best possible way.
For more information and updates related to IIT Guwahati Design Courses, stay tuned to CollegeDekho!