- Articles byStream
Everything you need to know about a Computer Programmer
A computer programmer is a person who writes programs related to software. A computer programmer is often termed as a software engineer. It is one of the challenging jobs which develops not only skills but also offers excellent packages. According to employment projections data 2014, around 3,28,600 people are employed as computer programmers in various software companies across India.
Also read:- Career Guide for Mechanical Engineering
According to employment projections report:-
- 38% of software engineers are employed in Computer Systems Design and related services.
- Seven percent are employed as Software Publishers and in Finance and Insurance.
- Five percent are employed in Administrative and support services.
The software sector has been developing drastically and in the coming years, the employment opportunities may increase. However, a person with excellent skills in computer programming will be able to get better jobs and packages. There is a lot of demand for computer programmers in various cities like Chennai, Hyderabad, New Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, and others. Bangalore is considered as one among the software hubs in India where a large number of people are employed in the software industry.
Also read:- Career Guide to become an Android Developer
What does a Computer programmer do?
A computer programmer generally writes and tests the codes which allow the computer applications and software programs to work properly. They transform the various software programs into instructions which can be followed by a computer. They later test the program and see that the programs produce the desired results. If the programs do not work properly he/she again checks the code and fix the mistakes.
Also read:- How to become a Computer System Analyst?
Responsibilities of a Computer Programmer:-
- The computer programmers need to write programs for variety of computer languages such as Java and C++
- They need to expand and update the existing programs.
- If the programs do not work properly they need to recheck it and fix the mistakes.
- To simply the writing of programs they need to use the code libraries which are collections of independent lines of code.
- Usually, programmers work alone and sometimes work as a group for large projects.
How to become a Computer Programmer?
- In order to become a Computer Programmer a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science is mandatory.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in B.Sc (Computer Science) or B.Tech Computer Science Engineering is essential.
- A minimum of 50% of marks is essential in +2 to secure a seat in an engineering college.
- The candidates who want to study Bachelor’s in Computer Science Engineering must have studied Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry in +2.
- If a candidate wants to secure a seat in reputed institutions like IIT or NIT, he/she has to take the IIT-JEE examination.
- Various state governments also conduct entrance tests for the admission into engineering courses.
To become a computer programmer skills in various computer languages are essential. There are various certificate courses offered by various institutions for computer languages. There are a variety of computer languages like Java, C language, Oracle, C++, and others. So, apart from the educational qualification, the above-mentioned skills are essential. It is the choice of the candidate to learn any computer language based on the requirements by software companies.
How much Salary does a Computer Programmer earn?
The basic pay that is offered to a computer programmer ranges between Rs.3,00,000 to Rs.5,00,000 per annum. However, the salary increases if one gains experience. The highest packages ranges between Rs.10,00,000 to Rs.12,00,000 per annum.
Top Institutes in India for Computer Science Course:-
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Mumbai
- BITS, Pilani
- Delhi Technological University
- NIT, Warangal
- ITM Group of Institutions, Gwalior
- VR Siddhartha Engineering College, Vijayawada
- Bengal Engineering and Science University.
Various regional colleges in the states also offer a course in Computer Engineering. However, there is a lot of demand and competition for engineering seats in IITs and NITs. But there are some of the best regional colleges with excellent lab facilities and placement percentage. It is advisable to join in the college which has excellent faculty, lab facilities, and placement percentage. Deemed universities can also be one of the best choices for the engineering courses.
Cool, interesting and funny. An ardent lover of animals and gets a kick out of Chetan Bhagat and Amish Tripathi novels. My favourite novel is 'The God of Small Things' written by Arundathi Roy.
Studying abroad is not an impossible dream anymore! With the right kind of motivation and support from professionals in ...
Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad has launched its 12th batch of PGPX or Post Graduate Programme in Management ...