Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
BDS or Bachelor of Dental Surgery is the most popular medical course after MBBS. Candidates who successfully complete this 5 year course are also awarded the title of ‘Dr’ and can practice dentistry once they have acquired the license. All admissions to this course are done on the basis of NEET result 2018 and NEET cut-off 2018. The candidates whose names have been mentioned in the list of NEET toppers 2018 will be able to secure admission in top BDS colleges.
Pursuing BDS successfully will open up various opportunities for you in the government as well as private sector of medicine. Following are all the details you need to know about the course.
Name of the Programme
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
4 years in academia + 1 year mandatory internship
About the Programme
BDS is the graduation programme to become a dental surgeon. The programme covers various aspects of dental problems, denture and surgery in the same fields.
Popular Areas of Study
Rs. 18 lakhs approximately. Fees will vary from college to college. Private colleges charge more than government colleges.
Other Dental Courses:
Name of the Programme
Type of Programme
Diploma in Dental Hygienist
Diploma in Dental Ceramic Technology
Diploma in Dental Mechanic and Hygienist
Course in Aesthetic Dentistry
Course in Implantology
MDS Periodontics & Implantology
MDS Orthodontics & Dento-facial Orthopedics
MDS Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics
M.D in Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry
MDS In Pedodontics
PG Diploma in Laser Dentistry
Selection Process for Dental Courses:
- Students who have scored at least 50% marks in the class 12 with Physics, Biology and Chemistry in order to apply for courses. Different colleges may have different admission criteria.
- Admission to all dental programmes offered by Indian medical colleges is done on the basis of NEET Exam score.
Diploma and Certificate Programmes:
- The eligibility criteria for diploma courses may vary from course to course.
- You can apply for Aesthetic Dentistry, Dental Hygienist and other such courses after passing class 10.
- However, to apply for courses like Dental Ceramic Technology, you need to pass class 12 with the required minimum marks.
- Similarly, for certificate courses, you need to pass class 12 in order to apply.
- Candidates must have successfully completed their BDS in order to apply for master programmes.
- Admission to post-graduate courses is done on the basis of NEET-PG.
Top Colleges for BDS:
- Government Dental College, Bangalore
- King George's Medical University
- Sri Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara College of Dental Sciences
- Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College and Hospital
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
- Sri Ramachandra University
- Maulana Azad Medical College
- Pandit Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences
- Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana
Job Opportunities after BDS:
The medical field has expanded in the past decade such that there are various job opportunities in the private sector as well. Most of the good colleges offer placement opportunities in private hospitals and dental healthcare centres.
Dentists are also hired in government hospitals and other government departments on the basis of entrance exam. Aspiring candidates can apply for these courses after completing their graduation, however, some jobs are available after pursuing MDS.
Graduates also have the options to start their own dental clinic to treat patients. With enough capital and proper research, a dental clinic can help you earn decent money.
Salary Scope after BDS:
Fresh graduates can expect their salaries to vary from Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 30,000 per month depending on the type of jobs they have applied for and the hospitals or dental clinics where they are working.
After pursuing MDS the chances of earning a better salary are high as an MDS usually makes 4 to 6 lakh per annum. Salaries can also vary from city to city as medical expenses and dental charges in metro cities are more than in small cities and towns.