- B Sc Computer Science Vs B Tech Computer Science: A …
- B Sc Computer Science
- B Sc Computer Science Subjects
- B Tech Computer Science
- B Tech Computer Science Subjects
- B Sc Computer Science Eligibility Criteria
- B Tech Computer Science Eligibility Criteria
- B Sc Computer Science Top Colleges
- B Tech Computer Science Top Colleges
- B Sc Computer Science Fee Structure
- B Tech Computer Science Fee Structure
- B Sc Computer Science Career Opportunities
- B Tech Computer Science Career Opportunities
- Major Computer Science Trends
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
It has only happened in the last few decades, that everything in the world has started to revolve around computers and technology. Everything that is ‘in and trending’ is technology or computer related, be it the Internet of Things (IoT) or Artificial Intelligence (AI) or Cloud Computing. The field of Computer Science is vast and provides the students with a multitude of options which are in high demand in this modern technological world. This article is all about the B.Sc Computer Science Vs B.Tech Computer Science and it explores both the courses, their similarities and differences in detail.
B Sc Computer Science Vs B Tech Computer Science: A Comparison
Candidates at times may find it difficult to decide between the two courses: B Sc Computer Science and B.Tech Computer Science. Pursuing any of the two guarantees a good career path for the students. Both vary on a lot of factors and are similar on a few others. The table below analyses both the courses:
|Factors||B Sc Computer Science||B Tech Computer Science|
|3 years||4 years|
|Candidate must have completed 12th grade||Candidate must have completed 12th grade|
|Mandatory Subjects in 12th Grade||Must have passed 12th in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects||Must have passed 12th in Science with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects|
|Entrance Exams||Engineering entrance exams such as JEE (Joint Entrance Exam), VITEEE, BITSAT. On the basis of the scores of these exams, the university decides whether the candidate is eligible for further shortlisting or not, whether he/she will get an interview call or not||Entrance exams such as CUSATCAT, TANCET, SET, JEE are required for this course|
|Average Salary||Rs. 3-7 lakh per annum||Rs. 2 to 4.5 lakh per annum|
|Top Recruiters||Wipro Technologies, Cognizant Technologies, IBM Global Services, Infosys, Accenture, etc||HCL, Amazon, Wipro, Facebook, Flipkart, Google, Microsoft, Ola Cabs, Cisco, Meru cabs, Oracle, Snapdeal, American Express, IBM, Accenture, Yahoo, McAfee, Rediff, TCS, eBay, Adobe, Infosys, Myntra, Apple Inc, Intel, etc|
B Sc Computer Science
B.Sc Computer Science is a 3-year undergraduate degree. The curriculum of this degree majorly focuses on the basic concepts of computer science. Major topics include Disk Operating Systems, Control Structures and Programming Concepts. This course teaches one about computer applications but it doesn't cover coding in detail whereas B.Tech Computer Science is all about coding.
B Sc Computer Science Subjects
The following subjects are taught in B.Sc Computer Science:
- Programming Fundamentals Using C++: C++ is the most basic programming language taught in Engineering and is used to optimise resources.
- Computer System Architecture:
- Data Structures
- Theory of Computation
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Internet Technologies
- Computer Graphic
- Database Management Systems
B Tech Computer Science
B. Tech Computer Science is a 4-year undergraduate professional course. This involves studying computer science in more depth as compared to B.Sc Computer Science. The concepts of hardware, software and applications- all fall under this course. In India, B.Tech Computer Science was one of the first courses offered in the field of computer science. Major topics in this course include Data Structures, Operating Systems, Computer Architecture, Database Management Systems and Digital Circuits & System.
B Tech Computer Science Subjects
B. Tech Computer Science includes the following steps:
- Programming Fundamentals Using C++
- Web Technologies
- Applied Chemistry
- Multimedia Technologies
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Algorithm Analysis & Design
- Management Systems
- Database Management Systems/Data Mining
- Theory of Computation
- Engineering Mechanics
B Sc Computer Science Eligibility Criteria
- In order to apply for B.Sc Computer Science admission, candidates need to appear for engineering entrance exams such as JEE (Joint Entrance Exam), VITEEE, BITSAT, basis which the varsity decides the scores of the candidates and accordingly invites them for further rounds. Whether a candidate will get an interview call or not, depends upon the scores of the entrance examinations.
- The academic qualification needed to pursue Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) is 10+2 certificate, minimum marks being 44% to 60%. The requirement of B.Sc Computer Science varies from institute to institute.
- To pursue B.Sc in Computer Science, students must have passed class 12th Board in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
B Tech Computer Science Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible for admission in B.Tech Computer Science programme, the candidate must have passed class 12th Board in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
B Sc Computer Science Top Colleges
Given below are some of the top B.Sc Computer Science colleges which students can look at:
B Tech Computer Science Top Colleges
The list below includes the top colleges for pursuing B.Tech Computer Science:
B Sc Computer Science Fee Structure
The fee structure for government-funded colleges offering B.Sc Computer Science is relatively low. It ranges from Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 25,000 for a three-year course in India. The fee in private colleges offering B.Sc Computer Science in India goes up to lakh of rupees.
B Tech Computer Science Fee Structure
The fee structure for pursuing B.Tech Computer Science from government-funded colleges ranges from Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 75,000. The fee for pursuing B.Tech Computer Science from private colleges starts from Rs. 1 lakh and goes up to Rs.3-4 lakh.
B Sc Computer Science Career Opportunities
Computer Science is not only one of the most lucrative career options but also requires a lot of analytical skills, and students pursuing it are respected for the same. There are numerous jobs in the field of computer science available for students who have pursued B.Sc Computer Science. Some of them are:
- Database Administrator: The profile includes planning of capacity, configuring systems, designing databases, monitoring performances and recovering data. A person who has a passion for problem-solving would do really good in this field. The minimum salary for this job profile ranges between Rs.3 lakhs- 4 lakh per annum.
- Games Developer: A games developer specialises in the development of video games and is well aware of all the processes and disciplines pertaining to the video games creation. Passion for art and animation will work here. The basic salary for a fresher is roughly Rs. 2 lakh per annum.
- Information Systems Manager: The profile includes implementing IT in the organisation and managing a team of IT professionals. They are mainly responsible for directing and planning activities. A person must have basic managerial skills in order to excel in the field of Information Systems Management. The initial salary is between Rs.1 lakh-2 lakh.
- IT consultant: IT consultants take care of all the consulting activities in the organisation. Computer consulting, business and technology consulting, all form a part of it. The starting salary can be Rs.4 lakh.
- Web Designer: This profile is all about performing high applications, working on the interface- front end and back end. The starting salary for a web designer is Rs.1.5 lakh.
- Systems Analyst: The role of a systems analyst involves analysis of complex processes and implementing of information systems. The starting salary is from Rs.3 lakh onwards.
- Applications Analyst: They are very accurate about conduct testing. Their work involves locating potential problems and solving them in the best way possible. The salary that one can expect as an Applications Analyst is Rs.4 lakh.
After pursuing B.Sc in Computer Science, one can also choose to pursue M.Sc Computer Science, MCA, IMCA, MBA, etc. With an MCA or M.Sc Computer Science, candidates can get jobs in IT companies. Most of the IT companies provide candidates with opportunities to go abroad. Candidates with an M.Sc and MCA can also opt for government jobs.
B Tech Computer Science Career Opportunities
As a computer engineer, a person can make various choices in both private and public sectors. Depending upon the skill set, the person can choose any of the following job profiles:
- Software Engineering: This job involves a lot of coding and programming. The principles of software engineering are applied to design, develop and maintain computer programming. The starting salary is roughly Rs.3 lakh per annum.
- Banking Jobs: Client’s databases can be maintained and software can be built. The starting salary is roughly Rs.1 lakh per annum.
- Mobile Application Developer: People skilled in Java, C, C++ often take up this job. The starting salary in this field is around Rs.2 lakh per annum.
Major Computer Science Trends
Given below is the list of some of the major computer science trends:
- Bioinformatics:Bioinformatics is a trending field of science majorly used to understand and study biological data. In this field, certain methods and tools are adopted and it combines Biology, Computer Science, Statistics and Information Engineering.
- Cybersecurity: Cybersecurity is another word for computer security and the jobs related to this field are expected to grow by 28 per cent by 2026, as per a leading ranking website. Billions and billions of networks are connected to each other and that is why cybersecurity becomes an important trend. It aims to protect the entire network of data of uncountable users from serious threats, damages, hacks etc.
- Big Data Analytics: Big Data in simple terminology is the collection of all the data which is generated at such high speed. The demand for engineering professionals in the field of data has increased tremendously, according to a leading newspaper website.
- Artificial Intelligence and Robotics: AI and Robotics have come to implementation to study intelligent behaviour. AI and Robotics are being widely used in the education sector. AI engineers are data scientists who support machine learning and resolve issues to validate models.
Today in 2019, we cannot even think of spending our lives without having computers and technology around. In the field of computers, B.Tech Computer Science and B.Sc Computer Science courses are the most popular ones. Candidates often get confused between these two courses as both involve the study of computers. But they differ in various ways as explained above.
Since the time of Alan Turing, Computer Science has shaped many lives. Computer science graduates get the highest salaries in corporates. The trends in the field of computer science keep on changing and there is a lot of scope for students who take up this field.