- Eligibility Criteria for Diploma in Engineering
- Diploma in Engineering Admissions
- Diploma in Engineering: Entrance Exams
- Diploma in Engineering: Top Colleges & Fee
- Diploma in Engineering: Specialisation.
- Salary of Diploma in Engineering Candidates
- Career Options after Diploma in Engineering
- Top recruiters in Diploma in Engineering
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
A diploma in engineering is a polytechnic course that deals with the fundamental principles and areas of engineering. It is a versatile course that deals with specializations such as electrical, electronics and communication, civil, mechanical, information technology, computer science, etc. The duration of the course is 4 years. Candidates who have completed classes 10 and 12 are eligible to pursue this course. Candidates are eligible for recruitment in public as well as private sector units. Some of the popular job roles secured by the candidates after the completion of a diploma in engineering are Assistant Engineer, Junior Manager, Junior Engineer, Officer, Technician, etc.
Some of the top institutes that offer admission to the candidates who are willing to pursue a diploma in engineering are IITs, Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi, Lovely Professional University, Indira Gandhi National Open University, etc. The average salary of a candidate who is new to the engineering field may range from Rs 80,000 to Rs 2 LPA.
This article will provide complete insight into the details that a candidate needs to know before applying for a diploma in engineering courses.
Also read: Top Diploma Colleges in India
Eligibility Criteria for Diploma in Engineering
Details such as educational qualification, age criteria, qualifying marks and related are included under it. The eligibility criteria of a Diploma in Engineering state that the candidates who have completed their classes 10 and 12 can apply for the course subject to which they have completed their classes 10 and 12 from a recognised institute with science subjects (PCM).
- Candidates should be at least 14 years of age
- There is no upper age limit for applying for the course
- For class 10, candidates should have acquired a minimum of 35% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics
- For class 12, candidates should have acquired a minimum score of 55% in Physics, Mathematics, and optional subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, and Biotechnology.
- A relaxation of 5% is given to the candidates belonging to the reservation categories
Diploma in Engineering Admissions
To get admission in a diploma in engineering courses, candidates can either appear for the entrance exams or secure admission through direct admission on a merit basis. Entrance exams such as JEECUP, BCECE, etc., are some of the popular exams that candidates can opt for. Whereas, candidates who do not wish to apply in any entrance exam can secure admission through the merit of Class 10 and 12. For the direct entry to the Diploma in Engineering courses, the candidates will have to fill out the application form of the respective institute, take part in the selection process and take admission.
Diploma in Engineering: Entrance Exams
Following is the list of the entrance exams that are available for the candidates who are willing to pursue a Diploma in Engineering through the procedure of entrance exams. These entrance exams include:
The Joint Entrance Examination Council (JEECUP), Uttar Pradesh is a state-level examination for candidates who are seeking admission to public and private polytechnic institutes in Uttar Pradesh.
The Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination (BCECE) is held for admission to the fields of pharmacy, medicine, and agriculture in the institutions authorized by the Bihar government.
The Andhra Pradesh Polytechnic Common Entrance Test (AP POLYCET), is a state-level entrance test held by the State Board of Technical Education and Training for candidates who are willing to seek admission to different diplomas and polytechnic programs across the state of Andhra Pradesh
The State Board of Technical Education and Training, Hyderabad, administers the Telangana State Polytechnic Common Entrance Test (TS POLYCET) for admission to engineering diploma programs and other polytechnic colleges in Telangana.
Every year, the Polytechnic Entrance Competitive Examination (PECE) is conducted by the Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination Board (JCECEB). It is a state-level test conducted for the candidates who are willing to seek admission to Diploma in engineering courses
Diploma in Engineering: Top Colleges & Fee
The table below highlights the top colleges in India that offer quality level education to the candidates who are willing to pursue Diploma in Engineering courses. These top colleges include the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, Tamil Nadu, Lovely Professional University Jalandhar, Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI), New Delhi, etc. The approximate fee of the colleges is also stated in the table.
Diploma Fee (Approx)
Rs. 5,000 PA
Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda
Rs. 7,720 PA
Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, Tamil Nadu
Rs. 55,000 (for 1 year)
Rs. 2,25,000 (total)
Rs. 99,000 PA
Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai
Rs. 34,679 PA
Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI), New Delhi
Rs. 8,000- 13,000 PA
Rs. 1,80,000 (1 year)
S.H. Jondhale Polytechnic, Thane
Rs 77,000 (1st year)
Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai
Rs 1,75,000 (1st year)
Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology Longowal
Rs. 59,000 (total)
Rs 1,05,00 (total)
Integral University, Lucknow
Rs. 10,000 - Rs. 1.60 Lakhs
LJ Polytechnic, Ahmedabad
Rs. 48,000 1st year)
Diploma in Engineering: Specialisation.
- Diploma in Automobile Engineering
- Diploma in Computer Science & Engineering
- Diploma in Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering
- Diploma in Information Science
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Metallurgical Engineering
- Diploma in Electronic Instrumentation & Control Engineering
Salary of Diploma in Engineering Candidates
The table below highlights the salary of the candidates who will successfully complete the diploma in engineering course.
Salary of the candidates
Diploma in Electrical Engineering
Rs. 2,50,000- 2,75,000
Rs. 2,00,000- 6,00,000
Diploma in Civil Engineering
Rs. 3,50,000- 5,00,000
Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering
Rs. 4,00,000 to Rs. 5,00,000
|Diploma in Chemical Engineering|
Rs. 2,00,000 to Rs. 5,50,000
Diploma in Biomedical Engineering
Rs. 3,00,000 to Rs. 4,00,000
Rs. 2,00,000 to Rs. 5,00,000
Note: Candidates need to note that the table shows an estimated figure of the salary that can be received by the candidates concluding their diploma in engineering. It may vary from company to company year, extra qualifications, skills, knowledge, and experience of the candidates.
Career Options after Diploma in Engineering
Some of the demanded career options for the candidates who complete the diploma in engineering have been discussed in the pointers below:
- Assistant Manager: Assistant Managers employ, hire, and provide training to sales representatives and analyze consumer necessities for forthcoming work
- Production Engineer: Production Engineers manages the production coordinator and assistant directors. They are answerable for the culmination of the production on time with respect to maintaining safety and restrictions
- Field Inspectors: Field Inspectors examine through photographs of various locations and write reports for different associations
- Design Engineer: Design Engineers operate computers to sketch illustrations of the vehicles and the segments of it. They outline graphics with the assistance of computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Electrical Engineers: Electrical Engineers are accountable to develop, trial, and construct hardware, for navigation systems, electric machines, and communications systems
- Professors: Professors train the subjects related to fields of specialisation
- Draftsman: Draftsman demonstrate the technological sketches or plan the projects that include decorating layout
- Quality Control Engineer: Engineers scrutinizes after the projects they are handling closely and examine the work process and they work in assembling manufacturers
Also check: Diploma in Civil engineering colleges in India
Top recruiters in Diploma in Engineering
The top recruiters for Diploma in Engineering can be segregated into two categories- Public sectors and private sectors. The top recruiters are discussed in the following sub headings.
Top PSUs Recuiters for Diploma in Engineering:
- GAIL – Gas Authority of India Limited
- ONGC – Oil & Natural Gas Corporation
- DRDO – Defence Research and Development Organization
- BHEL – Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
- Indian Army
- NTPC – National Thermal Power Corporation
- Public Work Departments
- BSNL – Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
- Irrigation Departments
- Infrastructure Development Agencies
- NSSO – National Sample Survey Organization
- IPCL – Indian Petro Chemicals Limited
Top Private Recuiters for Diploma in Engineering
The recruiting companies on the basis of the firms have been highlighted as pointers in the table below:
Mechanical Engineering Firms
Computer Engineering Firms
Electrical or Power Firms