Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
After the CAT 2021 results are declared, all candidates who have appeared for the exam are in a rush. They can compare their CAT 2021 score vs percentile and get an idea of the colleges in which they are eligible for admission. The expected CAT 2021 cutoff will give them an idea of the colleges in which they can secure a seat.
However, the candidates who could not attain high percentiles in CAT 2021 need not be disheartened as they still have several options. The popular Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) have limited seats and a rigid selection process, therefore it is not possible for everyone to secure admission in them.
Even after performing brilliantly, a candidate might not get through the IIM admissions. Therefore, it is best to also take into consideration other MBA colleges in India from where you can pursue PGDM or MBA. You can look into other available options and prepare for the GD-PIWAT rounds to secure seats in any of the top colleges.
What Next after CAT 2021 Results?
Most candidates find themselves in chaos after the results for CAT are declared. Whether they excel or do not excel, they are in a place of confusion and distress. The next steps are quite tough. Some have to choose colleges and specializations, and others have to decide whether to prepare for CAT next year or look for a job. Either way, it is mentally draining for the candidate. Therefore, each one must be careful in deciding what is best for them.
Further, qualifying candidates will have other rounds of performances to prepare for. Candidates who get shortlisted based on CAT 2021 scores will now have to appear for Group Discussion (GD), Personal Interview (PI), and Written Ability Test (WAT) rounds. All top MBA colleges in India conduct these rounds for their selection process. They are conducted to determine the candidate's aptitude, skills, and dedication. Therefore, one must prepare well for these rounds.
Fill Applications for Admission to Top B-Schools
Once the CAT exam is done, the next focus should be on getting admissions to the top B-Schools. Also, take into consideration the fact that some colleges start their admission process even before the CAT 2021 results are out. Therefore, candidates must check the cutoff percentile of the institutes they seek to take admissions into. Then, based on the performance, candidates should prepare a list of colleges or institutes they want to take admissions in. It will help them focus on the target institutes.
Also, just in case one does not get into IIMs, they must be prepared to consider other top MBA colleges in India. There are numerous colleges that offer MBA and PGDM courses. Therefore, while planning, consider these parameters: ranking of the institution, alumni network, faculty, environment, placement records, fees structure, admission process, and return on investment.
Private MBA Colleges in India
Many popular private B-Schools accept CAT scores for selecting candidates. You can consider securing a seat in one of these institutes. Here is the list of some top private colleges in India that consider CAT scores for their MBA admission process:
Select Your MBA Specialization
Students approach the selection of MBA specialization in two ways. Some choose the college first and then the specialization. Whereas some choose the specialization first and shortlist the college based on it. Both of them are correct in their own ways. However, the only thing that matters the most is that the candidate is aware and plans the needs well in advance. Either choose the college or specialization as the preference. If not, it will lead to last-minute hassle and confusion.
Prepare for the GD-PIWAT Rounds
Clearing the CAT 2021 exams is just the beginning of the process for admissions to MBA courses. After the CAT 2021 Results are declared, the candidates will have to immediately start preparing for Group Discussions and PI/ WAT rounds. Usually, these rounds are conducted in the same month as the results are declared. A candidate can get a maximum of two months from the CAT 2021 exam day to prepare for the GD-PI/WAT rounds.
Therefore, here are some tips that will help in the GD-PI/ WAT Preparations:
- Join workshops on GD/PI:No amount of preparation can help you decide if you are fully ready. However, joining workshops will help you get motivated and confident to face the actual GD-PI rounds. Before joining the workshop, make sure that it has large participation. More candidates in the workshop will help you build more confidence.
- Keep the Focus on Case-Based and Topic-based GDs: Most top B-schools in India are now focused on the case-based GDs. It helps evaluate the understanding of the candidates. Therefore, most GDs have case-based topics. However, some B-Schools also opt for topic-based GDs as well. Hence, it is best to prepare for both circumstances.
- Take Guidance from seniors/ mentors: People who have experienced GD/PI rounds will be in a better state to guide you. They will have better knowledge of how to tackle unpleasant situations or unfamiliar questions. There will be some tricks that they might help you with. It is not always that books and the internet can help you. So, it is wise to make the most of it.
- Prepare for a Specialization (for candidates holding 4+ years of work experience): Candidates who hold a work experience of 4 or more years will have to prepare well for the specialization. They are likely to be asked questions on their desired specialization. Therefore, it is of utmost necessity that professional candidates prepare in advance for their choice of course.
- Remembering Specific Format for Each Call: All institutions have a unique format for GD-PI callings. It is necessary that candidates remember them precisely. If not, they might reach the centre unprepared and lose a golden opportunity to be admitted to the top B-Schools of India.
Appear for Other MBA Entrance Exams
Apart from the CAT exam, there are other options as well to get MBA admissions. Interested candidates must fill out the registrations for the exams ahead of time. The registration process is the same as the CAT exam. Therefore, in case one fails to qualify CAT, they can appear for the other exams and wait for their results as well. All the entrance exams are majorly held between January to March. Here is a list of the exams candidates’ aspiring to study MBA can prepare for and attempt:
Secure a Second Option
It is not always easy to achieve what you desire. Getting into IIMs may be a lifelong dream but it is alright if you do not get through in your CAT 2021 attempt. There are other options as well. In case you do not secure admission, always have a backup plan. You can consider the following options:
- Apply for jobs according to your preference
- Take a drop year and start early preparations for CAT 2022
- Juggle between CAT preparations and a job (part-time or full-time)
Stay tuned to CollegeDekho for all the latest updates on CAT 2021!