The education industry in India is a multi-million dollar industry. Every now and then, we see ads of new universities, online courses, education portals popping up. Over the past years, this industry has expanded and upgraded itself from the traditional methods of teaching to more advanced means. With technology and internet available in almost every corner of the world, education is no longer bound to the conventional classrooms and to keep track with this fast paced world, online courses and distance learning programmes have gained popularity.
Apart form the easy availibility of educational resources, the mode of education chosen by the student can be influenced by a whole lot of reasons - availability of time, availability of resources, geographical preferences, hostel & other infrastructure facility etc., What really matters is the college & location that you are studying your masters in business administration from and how well-networked the college is. MBA colleges in India are many, but what suits you, is a matter of personal choice.
Under the traditional learning method, students attend classes on weekdays and have to travel from their house to college for classes and attendance. Students get more opportunities to be part of clubs, associations and take part in committees and sports events. Also, people believe that regular college holds greater value than distance and online courses.
The Regular MBA programmes offered in India can be a 2 year or a 1-year course, depending on the nature of the course. Most B- schools in India offer a 2-year course that include a CSR project and internship opportunities. Colleges like ISB Hyderabad offers a 1-year course, which is known as the Executive MBA. While the 2-year MBA/ PGDM programme is opted for by students who have freshly graduated or young executives, Executive MBA's are designed for mid-level / senior executives who are looking for an enhancement in their careers.
Here are some of the top mba colleges in India, divided region-wise:
- MBA colleges in Jaipur
- MBA colleges in Assam
- MBA colleges in Calicut
- MBA colleges in Mysore
- MBA colleges in Vadodara
- MBA colleges in Kerala
- MBA colleges in Karnataka
Some of the best B-Schools in India adopt the traditional full-time MBA methodology. True, it is a rigorous programme, but the end of the 1 or 2 years, the chances of good job prospects is 90% more than the Distance Learning MBA programme. Some of the popular colleges offering regular MBA/ PGDM programmes include:
- Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs)
- Indian School of Business
- XLRI - Xavier School of Management
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies
- Faculty of Management Studies
- Management Development Institute
Distance Learning MBA:
On the other hand, MBA in Distance Learning allows students to study without being physically present in the class. Under this method, students are provided with the study material in form of videos, notes and online programs etc. This method does not involve teachers and is more inclined to self-study.
Distance Learning MBA's are designed for people who are not able to take out time for a dedicated 2-year MBA programme. This could include working professionals or students who are pursuing other courses simultaneously.
However, since aspirants do not attend a regular college in a Distance Learning MBA programme, they do not get the same exposure compared to others and miss out on various opportunities that can help them grow socially and individually. Also, courses completed via the distance learning method are known to hold lesser importance and value in the corporate world than those done under traditional learning. But getting an MBA degree at the end of 1 or 2 years will surely enhance their careers.
Some of the top notch universities offering distance learning MBA/ PGDM programmes via interactive video, pre-recorded video, teleconferencing and online or offline computer courses include:
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi
- Yashwantrao C. Maharashtra Open University, Nashik
- IMT Distance and Open Learning Institute, Ghaziabad
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies
- Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning, Pune
- MP Bhoj (Open) University, Bhopal
- Dr. BR Ambedkar Open University (BRAOU), Hyderabad
- Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata
Apart from this, the top notch IIMs also offer the students with distance learning MBA/PGDM courses.
In the online MBA learning method, students take classes via the internet as opposed to the classroom setting. Instead of physical interactions, the student takes part in virtual interactions. With the help of online classes and video seminars, students stay updated and on track with the rest of the students.
Similar to distance learning method, students do not get a chance to enjoy the college atmosphere. Online method of learning is also called as correspondence method of learning. Aspirants looking to advance in their chosen field are best suited for Online MBA programmes.
Some of the top notch universities offering online learning MBA/ PGDM programmes are:
- Don Bosco University
- Amity University Online
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Online
- Venkateshwara Open University
- Amity University Online
To apply for MBA/PGDM programmes in any of the above universities, visit the official website of the university. Once you have been registered, you will be provided with content, data and videos of study material to watch online.
Each one of the above methods is different from each other in various ways and CollegeDekho is here tell you how! We will be differentiating between distance learning, online learning and traditional/ classroom learning on the basis of the following key points:
|Basis||Traditional Learning Method||Distance Learning Method||Online Learning Method|
||Compulsory||Not Required||Not Required|
||Compulsory||Not required||Not Required (Except for some courses)|
||Great opportunity for student-teacher bond||No student- teacher bond||Student-teacher bond on a lower level|
||Performance in the class, Assignments, Exams||Final Exams||Assignments, Exams|
Also Read: Scope of Distance Learning Programs in India
How to Choose an MBA Programme:
While choosing between the distance, online and regular methods of learning, CollegeDekho suggests you the following things:
- For students who require additional assistance from guidance counselors and professors, traditional learning method is a better option as it is more readily available on the campus.
- In case you are lacking a flexible work schedule or are bound by geographical constraints, opting for distance learning or online learning method is a great option.
- Online learning can be a problem for those who are not tech-savvy or are living in places where the internet is not easily accessible.
- Online and distance learning classes are more cost efficient not only in terms of the tuition fee but also because it does not require you to commute from one place to another for classes.
- Distance learning methods allow you to study when you want, what you want and how you want. Students are more flexible in terms of time and content in case of distance learning.
- Correspondence courses degrees are not accepted everywhere whereas regular college degrees have their own recognition.
- There are many courses that are not available through correspondence and in that case only regular college is the option.