Master of Science (M.Sc) - Course Overview
Duration: 2.0 yrs | Mode: Regular / Distance / Part-time| Avg. Fees: 40,000 / Year
9036 courses | 3152 colleges
About Master of Science (M.Sc)
Master of Science (M.Sc) is a two-year post-graduate program which offers advanced knowledge in a number of specialized science fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, botany, mathematics, zoology, nursing, pharmacy etc. The program provides both theoretical and practical knowledge to the students in their respective field.
The M.Sc program is offered by the majority of colleges and universities across the country. Distance Learning M.Sc courses are also offered by various distance learning universities. M.Sc is a vital degree for those who are planning to go for doctorate programs and research work in the future. The M.Sc course helps students to gain in-depth knowledge of a particular subject which gives a boost to their careers and make them job-ready.
Master of Science (M.Sc) Eligiblity Criteria
- Minimum Qualification Required: Bachelor’s degree in science
- Minimum Marks Required: 50% to 60%
M.Sc Admission Process
- Admission to the M.Sc program is mostly on the basis of national-level entrance exams conducted by various universities and institutes.
- Some colleges also consider merit/cut off list prepared on the basis of aspirants graduation exams.
- Few colleges provide direct admissions to the aspirants on the basis of marks secured in the last qualifying examination.
Following are some of the popular M.Sc Entrance Exams
- IIT JAM, Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test
- JNU CEEB, Jawaharlal Nehru University Combined Entrance Exam
- CUCET, Central Universities Common Entrance Test
- NEST, National Entrance Screening Test
- MCAER CET, Maharashtra Council of Agricultural Education & Research
Popular Specializations of Master of Science (M.Sc)
Career Options and Job Prospects
M.Sc degree opens many job opportunities for candidates both in private and public sector. Students who have a keen interest in the research work can opt for a doctorate and research programs for jobs in colleges and universities. The suitable employment areas for M.Sc graduates are following:
- Agricultural Industry
- Chemical Industry
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Research and Industrial Laboratories
- Testing Laboratories
- Geological Survey Departments
- Oil Industry
The demand for M.Sc graduates is on the rising because of various innovations in the field of science as it requires people with advanced skills and an eye for critical evolution. The salary package for the graduates differs from organisation to organisation. The entry-level salary of a fresher is between Rs. 3 lakh to Rs. 4 lakh. Listed below are the job roles for M.Sc graduates:
- Clinical Research Specialist
- Professor/ Teacher
- Lab Researcher
- Science Adviser
- Plant Biochemist