Textile Designing - Course Overview
Duration: 4.0 yrs | Mode: Regular| Avg. Fees: 2,00,000 / Year
About Textile Designing
Textile Designing is a creative field that involves the process of creating designs, fabrics, printed fabrics, yarns, fibres, dyeing, embroidery and design development. Textiles are used everywhere rather than just fashion for various other purposes such as for the making of protective bulletproof jackets, protective helmets, sound control walls coverings in cinema halls and theatre are few of the everyday examples of textile.
Textile design course can be pursued along with other fashion courses as they enhance your knowledge and help you gain better career opportunities. The courses help you learn specialized knowledge and skill about different yarns and fabrics. Textile Design also provides students with the right skill set to develop new design concepts. Aspirants planning to pursue a career in textile designing must have a creative sight and keen interest in the design making, artwork, innovative skills and stamina to work long hours. There are numerous undergraduate and postgraduate courses across the country offered by some of the top design colleges and institutes.
Textile Designing Eligiblity Criteria
- Minimum Qualification Required: 10+2 or equivalent examination for B.A. B.Sc & Diploma.
- Graduation in similar or related field for M.A., Advance Diploma & Post Graduate Diploma
- Minimum Marks Required: 50% to 60% varies from course to course and college to college.
- Age Limit: The minimum age for B.A. and B.Sc courses is 17 years. The age bar for advance diploma and other courses may differ from college to college. The maximum age limit for NIFT colleges is 23 years.
- Admission to the textile design courses is on the basis of national-level entrance exams.
- Few colleges also have direct admissions as their selection criteria which is followed by counselling sessions and personal interviews for the same.
- Admission to the state/government colleges is on the basis of state level entrance exams.
Following are the popular Textile Design Entrance Exams:
- NIFT Exam- National Institute of Fashion Technology
- SOFT Entrance Exam- School of Fashion Technology
- AIEED- All India Entrance Examination for Design
- NID Exam- National Institute of Design
Textile Designing Syllabus
|Introduction to Textiles||Structural Fabric Design||Computer Application 1 & 2|
Structural Fabric Design 1 & 2
|Textile Art & Craft||Computer Aided Textile Design|
|Colour & Creation||Fashion Design & Illustration|
Popular Specializations of Textile Designing
- Jewellery & Accessory Design
- Fashion & Textile Design
- Industrial Design
- Graphic Design
- Interior Design
- Fashion & Textile Design
Career Options and Job Prospects
Just take a look around you, and you will realize that there’s a lot one can do in the field of textile designing with the right knowledge and skillset. The respective field is very competitive and requires candidates to have a professional degree in the same for better career choices. Here’s a list of job roles with people from textile design background:
- Textile Designer
- Textile Artist
- Freelance Textile Artist
- Product Developer
- Textile Technologist
- Interior Designer
- Spatial Designer
The entry-level salary of a textile design graduate is Rs. 2 lakh to Rs. 3.5 lakh and of a postgraduate degree holder with relevant experience is Rs. 5 lakh to Rs. 15 lakh. The salary package may vary as per location, professional experience, education, and industry.